what is the problem? is it an impedence mismatch thing or something funky? they are both true bypass same volume on the dirty channel, slightly different on the clean.

please enlighten me.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 27, 2016,
Only thing I can think of that the distortion on the dirty channel acts as compressor levelling them off.
How about setting the volumes while on the clean channel, then moving to the dirt channel, is it still off?
Do you have any ss amps? How's it there?
I can second diabolical's suggestion of the gain channel compressing and leveling things off. My sd1 gives a pretty large boost on any amps clean channel I've run it through, and the dirt channels it just adds some dirt and cuts bass like normal.

Are the knobs set the same? Because the internal amps in the pedals could have different specs and output. Or just a different taper on the pots.

Something like an EQD acapulco gold will have a shit tonn more output than those at the same setting on its one knob.
Firstly, I can barely hear anything. Normalize your audio or increase the output someway...

Secondly, your clean channel volume is barely above minimal. I will guess there is just not enough output to get a reasonable sound. Also if you are using a bridge pup at those relatively low distortion settings, I will also guess that there is just too much pokey frequencies and that a middle or bridge pup would be better.
is it the volume difference which is the problem or just that it sounds bad on the clean channel?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

do you have a bright switch on the clean channel that is on? that can make a difference in sound level
^ yeah that's what i was wondering, but iirc the rockerverb doesn't have a bright switch, but i could well be wrong
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by diabolical
Only thing I can think of that the distortion on the dirty channel acts as compressor levelling them off.
How about setting the volumes while on the clean channel, then moving to the dirt channel, is it still off?
Do you have any ss amps? How's it there?

the blues pro regardless of settings on the pedal or the volume of the clean channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Dave_Mc
is it the volume difference which is the problem or just that it sounds bad on the clean channel?

It's the harsh brittle sound on the clean it is terrible.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by monwobobbo
do you have a bright switch on the clean channel that is on? that can make a difference in sound level

No bright switch on the orange.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Connect to a soundcard input and record something with each one of these boxes at same perceived level, it might be that one actually is spikier, or just do output measurements via osciloscope if you have one.

Sounds to me like it might be time for a compressor pedal.
Quote by diabolical
Connect to a soundcard input and record something with each one of these boxes at same perceived level, it might be that one actually is spikier, or just do output measurements via osciloscope if you have one.

Sounds to me like it might be time for a compressor pedal.

I wish I had a scope.

I will put up a new video in a bit. i will make sure that the volume levels are better.

anything specific i should put on there?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

here is a new video, i made it louder, i am very new to video editing. and photography.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Oct 27, 2016,
I think it sounds okay, the Blues pedal definitely is very pokey but I guess if you are on a Brit-style amp, with a bridge pup, and a midrangey pedal (I guess) it will sound like that. My vote is to try it with a neck/middle pup setting. I just think there is not enough gain to have to use the bridge pup traditionally to get a tighter response. Also it is possible the gain channel just has no headroom left so any volume boost applied to it is just compressed, but the clean has much more room to move.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 27, 2016,
^^ if you lower the gain or volume on the blues pro does it sound ok? I wonder if it's just the compression thing that diabolical said- if you set up a boost to go into a dirty channel it just adds distortion (maybe a little volume depending on the exact settings) but if you plug the pedal set the same way into the clean channel it'll blow your head off with the increased volume.

EDIT: LOL more or less ninjaed
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

gremlins in the amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
gremlins in the amp.

dammit. i just drove those fuckers out of there last week. not again. ugh..
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ if you lower the gain or volume on the blues pro does it sound ok? I wonder if it's just the compression thing that diabolical said- if you set up a boost to go into a dirty channel it just adds distortion (maybe a little volume depending on the exact settings) but if you plug the pedal set the same way into the clean channel it'll blow your head off with the increased volume.

EDIT: LOL more or less ninjaed

if the blues pro is at unity or above it is that nasty fizz on the clean channel. if i have the volume at max, gain at zero, i get that nasty fiz on the clean that is too loud, but on the OD channel, it hardly makes it louder (which is what i use it for anyways) just a little boost.

what i don't understand is why doesn't the zendrive do the same thing? i can have the zendrive dimed and it doesn't get harsh nasty fizz like the MI at unity. and the zendrive is nice in the clean channel.

bottom line is why do the zendrive and the blues pro do this so differently?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

does the zendrive have the same amount of boost on tap? (sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow it down)

but if the blues pro does it if the volume is above unity at all, it may well just be one of those things- for some reason the combination of that pedal and your amp's clean channel sounds nasty.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

only answer at this point is you need a whole new pedal board. I'm sure we can help
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I'd say it, but that clean doesn't sound good at all, I had a guitar X2N pickup and that sounded similar.
Btw, are you sold on that overdrive, blues pro or whatever it is. Sounds to me like you should just get 2nd zendrive and set that on light crunch and be done with it.
the blues pro has more gain on tap.if it is at unity gain it still sounds nasty. the zendrive is good at any setting.

I guess they might just not get along.

thanks guys!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by diabolical
I'd say it, but that clean doesn't sound good at all, I had a guitar X2N pickup and that sounded similar.
Btw, are you sold on that overdrive, blues pro or whatever it is. Sounds to me like you should just get 2nd zendrive and set that on light crunch and be done with it.

I love the blues pro, and it's not going anywhere.

I don't need the blues pro for the cleans at all. i don't run the zendrive into the clean either. i use them exclusively for the overdrive channel. I use the blues pro for rhythm and the zendrive for leads.

this whole scenario was routed in curiosity, as it is odd to go from the OD dirty then switching to cleans and have such radical differences.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by monwobobbo
only answer at this point is you need a whole new pedal board. I'm sure we can help

You haven't seen my other boards.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I don'y know the "why" but I have noticed certain ODs sound better in some amps than others. Some unknown conflict is my best guess. The Ratt always worked for me in Brit voiced amps but in my Fender amps it sounded nasty. A TS seems to work pretty well everywhere and same goes for a Fultone OCD. With my Orange Tiny Terror I mostly used a TS to boost for solos and liked it.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
There was a Vox overdrive or treble booster that also sounded great on everything, including ss amps, I remember this thing through a gnarly Peavey late 80s (Bandit?) and that thing was a cheesegrater, once you put in the Vox it was great.

@thrashed - I guess until you take output measurements you won't really know what's the difference. My guess is gain channel compression.
My impression was that you wanted something to level off and be useful for clean as well, thus the idea to swap that pedal with something else.
Quote by Cajundaddy
I don'y know the "why" but I have noticed certain ODs sound better in some amps than others. Some unknown conflict is my best guess. The Ratt always worked for me in Brit voiced amps but in my Fender amps it sounded nasty. A TS seems to work pretty well everywhere and same goes for a Fultone OCD. With my Orange Tiny Terror I mostly used a TS to boost for solos and liked it.

I believe it has to do with matching the voicing of the drive, and perhaps even the sound of its particular distortion, with the gain and voice of each individual amp.

Searching through Orange's forum I came across similar questions, and it was said that "it's because RVs and other orange amps don't get a long with diferent voicings."
I doubt they mean that about the clean channel voicing.

I haven't looked at that particular design but another explanation would be if the dirty channel has some kind of clipping diode in th input which could act like limiter. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject of schematics could tell us.
Quote by diabolical
I doubt they mean that about the clean channel voicing.

I haven't looked at that particular design but another explanation would be if the dirty channel has some kind of clipping diode in th input which could act like limiter. Maybe someone more knowledgeable on the subject of schematics could tell us.

I just looked through the rv preamp scematic, I don't see any diod cliping section.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the blues pro has more gain on tap.if it is at unity gain it still sounds nasty. the zendrive is good at any setting.

I guess they might just not get along.

thanks guys!

yeah there must be some reason for it. My feeling (which is likely wrong ) is that there must be some kind of filter on the high end with the zendrive which the bluespro doesn't have- and it becomes apparent on the clean channel (for the reasons already mentioned, more or less). Which is weird, because i thought the blues pro was tubescreamer-based and they're pretty smooth on the top end. But I mean, I know my engl sounds awful on the clean channel with most drive pedals. it has a bright switch, though (but the orange may well have something similar which just isn't selectable).
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman