Page 1 of 2
Hi to all, I'd like to learn to play guitar for my own satisfaction (so just home player) so recently I bought my first electric guitar a Guild Starfire VI and now I need an amplifier!

That I would like is to play a smooth Blues, Rock maybe some Funky sure some Jazz..

Maybe it's hard to find an amp for all kind of music I would like to play so please hlep me.

I can buy just a new one and cannot consider an used one (I am giving back a classic guitar to the seller), and I want spend not more than 500 euros (I live in Italy) and I must spend more than 300 euros.

the sound I would love to have is something like this and is using a Fender Vibroverb:

This is that I would like:

1) Warmth and smooth sound;

2) The possibility to play with headphones;

3) I think not more than 30 Watts I need;

4) Price range 300-500 euros.

So I was considering the Vox AC15VR, the Fender Super Champ X2, but there are maybe many other brands I don't know and make some products better than these I selected. For example what do you think about Buger V22 Infinium?

Can you help me? Thank you!!!!!

PS: please forgive me for the little english
Last edited by Arroww at Oct 26, 2016,
If you are just starting out, I would recommend a modeling amp so you can experiment with tones to see what they are like, how they respond, and what ones of the "real amps" you may want to invest in the future. The Super Champ is a solid choice, although maybe a bit expensive for its capabilities. From VOX, I would suggest their newest modeling line, the AV series, not the VR series. Another option are the Fender Mustang amps.

Do you really have to spend at least 300 euros? You can definitely come in under budget and save some money at your needs.
Quote by Will Lane
If you are just starting out, I would recommend a modeling amp so you can experiment with tones to see what they are like, how they respond, and what ones of the "real amps" you may want to invest in the future. The Super Champ is a solid choice, although maybe a bit expensive for its capabilities. From VOX, I would suggest their newest modeling line, the AV series, not the VR series. Another option are the Fender Mustang amps.

Do you really have to spend at least 300 euros? You can definitely come in under budget and save some money at your needs.

Quote by OldRocker

Thank for the reply, I have to spend at least 300 euro just because the guitar I am giving back to the seller is valued 250 euros, so I have to buy something costs more than the used guitar I am giving back!

I would like buy a "good" amp now without think to change it in the future, can you give me some idea? Fender Mustang is too much cheap and it costs under 300 euro unfortuantely.

Better a good transistor amp or a low budget valve one?
Quote by Arroww
Thank for the reply, I have to spend at least 300 euro just because the guitar I am giving back to the seller is valued 250 euros, so I have to buy something costs more than the used guitar I am giving back!

I would like buy a "good" amp now without think to change it in the future, can you give me some idea? Fender Mustang is too much cheap and it costs under 300 euro unfortuantely.

Better a good transistor amp or a low budget valve one?
Okay. If you have to spend that much, then my suggestion would be the VOX AV30. If you cannot get that one, then the Super Champ is next.

You said you wanted an amp with a headphone out, which is reasonable. Many modeling amp series that have headphone outs have small, low powered versions and bigger, higher-powered versions of the same amp series. The issue is that the bigger versions that will get into your budget range are, for the most part, just higher powered and not necessarily better. So you end up paying more for the same quality of sound.

So as I said before, I would not try to invest so much money at this stage of your playing. What if you do not stick with it? There are good quality tube amps in your price range but they are much more focused than the modelers I suggested. There is less to experiment with and at your level I think experimentation is important (along with practicing, of course).
I get it now. In that case I have no idea but whenever it's a keeper or not is a matter of taste. I think a hybrid amp might suit you better, tubes for better tones plus SS for modeling.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
Vox or Fender. If you know what type of sound you want, there's not really any need for modelling. My amp has three channels, and gives me the three sounds I need from it, plus reverb and a volume boost. I can play any song I want with those three sounds, plus a couple of effects. If you like the Fender amp sound, go with that, you should be able to get a good tone for jazz, blues, funk, more old-school rock, country, indie, alternative, and probably other styles.

If you want to play a wide variety of styles with an array of guitar tones, go for a modeller, but if you have one sound in your head, just get an amp that gives you that.
It's what I mean, I would like to buy one amp and stop my thoughts... the sound I love is that one in the video I posted in the first message..

There is an amp in my range money will do it? Is the Vox AV30?
Quote by Arroww
It's what I mean, I would like to buy one amp and stop my thoughts... the sound I love is that one in the video I posted in the first message..

There is an amp in my range money will do it? Is the Vox AV30?
The VOX AV30 is just my suggestion over the Fender Superchamp. Both the VOX AV and the Fender Superchamp have Fender Voicings on them, which is the voicing you are hearing from that video. I suggest the VOX because it is 15w more of power, has a 12 inch speaker, and is newer technology. You can also look into the fully tube Fender Blues Jr.
Quote by Will Lane
The VOX AV30 is just my suggestion over the Fender Superchamp. Both the VOX AV and the Fender Superchamp have Fender Voicings on them, which is the voicing you are hearing from that video. I suggest the VOX because it is 15w more of power, has a 12 inch speaker, and is newer technology. You can also look into the fully tube Fender Blues Jr.

I really thank you, I just ask more because I am a newbie and don't know anything about amp.. I saw the Fender Blues Junior but it costs around 650 euros and for the moment is too much. Do you think the Blues Junior worth that 300 euros more than Vox AV30? Maybe you are right, for me it could be too much! So the choice should be between the AV30 and the Super Champ X2.
Quote by Arroww
I really thank you, I just ask more because I am a newbie and don't know anything about amp.. I saw the Fender Blues Junior but it costs around 650 euros and for the moment is too much. Do you think the Blues Junior worth that 300 euros more than Vox AV30? Maybe you are right, for me it could be too much! So the choice should be between the AV30 and the Super Champ X2.
I think the Blues Jr. will give you a more convincing, professional "Fender Sound", but it has quite a lot less features than the VOX AV30.
Just the last question, why do you suggest the AV30 and not AC30VR?
Quote by Arroww
Just the last question, why do you suggest the AV30 and not AC30VR?
The AC30VR is much more expensive and does much less.
i don't like the vox AV's. i would go super champ any day over one.

as far as other amps go, the peavey classic 30 is probably in budget, and it is a great amp for the money. i dont know what they cost on the other side of the pond though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+1 vote for Super Champ X2 for the music you play. I own 5 different amps including a 64 vintage Blackface Fender and modern Mesa Boogie. The lil Super Champ gets it done for classic rock and blues. I rehearsed with the band tonight and Super Champ was my grab-and-go choice. Legit Fender tone at a very affordable price.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Thank you to everyone, as always it happen I start that I want spend 100 and at the end I will spend 100x3...

So in the night I read a lot about amplifier and now I am considering this new list:

- Peavey Calssic 30
- Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
- Marshall DSL40C
- Line6 DT25 112

- Roland Blues Cube

I know the Roland is not a tube amp, but it is the cheapest in the list and yesterday in my crazy trip I did this: there is a video on youtube that compares 12 combo's in three different times so I wrote on a paper the numbers from 1 to 12 and without see the video but just listening it I gave a vote from 1 to 10 to each of them at the end I gave the name watching again the video and my personal ranking for my ears was:

1) Supro Black Magic
2) Roland Blues Cube
3) Peavey Classic 30

So the first one is a great amp but costs around 1600 euros and it is out of competition but Roland?
Last edited by Arroww at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by Arroww
Thank you to everyone, as always it happen I start that I want spend 100 and at the end I will spend 100x3...

So in the night I read a lot about amplifier and now I am considering this new list:

- Peavey Calssic 30
- Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III
- Marshall DSL40C
- Line6 DT25 112

- Roland Blues Cube

I know the Roland is not a tube amp, but it is the cheapest in the list and yesterday in my crazy trip I did this: there is a video on youtube that compares 12 combo's in three different times so I wrote on a paper the numbers from 1 to 12 and without see the video but just listening it I gave a vote from 1 to 10 to each of them at the end I gave the name watching again the video and my personal ranking for my ears was:

1) Supro Black Magic
2) Roland Blues Cube
3) Peavey Classic 30

So the first one is a great amp but costs around 1600 euros and it is out of competition but Roland?

Couldn't you go for an amplifier plus and interface/amp sims for when you need to be quiet or want to play with headphones?
Quote by Fisheth24
Couldn't you go for an amplifier plus and interface/amp sims for when you need to be quiet or want to play with headphones?

Sure this is another combination I could consider. I have just the guitar and a pair of headphones AKG K 240 MK II. What combination are youi thinking about?
Quote by Arroww
Sure this is another combination I could consider. I have just the guitar and a pair of headphones AKG K 240 MK II. What combination are youi thinking about?

Something like a low cost tube amp and a Focusrite 2i2 maybe?

I mean a modeller like a superchamp would probably do the job also.
Thank you, for the moment I will buy the focusrite 2i2 so I could play in headphones thank you for the suggestion..
Quote by Fisheth24
Then he has to buy a DAW that supports the VST's and also the VST's themselves? I really think something like the SC would be better at this stage.
Quote by Will Lane
Then he has to buy a DAW that supports the VST's and also the VST's themselves? I really think something like the SC would be better at this stage.

Reaper is free? So are various amp sims on the market.
Quote by Fisheth24
Reaper is free? So are various amp sims on the market.
Well I guess so, although you get the "pay us money" bit every time you open it. I felt kind of bad using it after the "trial" ended...
Ok, will stay on the amp choice... at the moment I would like to buy a tube amp... Do you think for home use it's too much more than 15 w?

I mean, if I buy a 30 w amp and I will play it not more than a quarter volume level is worse than a 15 w that I could play for half volume?

Please let me to understand, if I will buy the Focus 2i2 don't I have also the sofotware for to use it with headphones?
Quote by Arroww
Ok, will stay on the amp choice... at the moment I would like to buy a tube amp... Do you think for home use it's too much more than 15 w?

I mean, if I buy a 30 w amp and I will play it not more than a quarter volume level is worse than a 15 w that I could play for half volume?

Wattage isn't about volume, it's about the amount of headroom that the amplifier has (So how much you can turn it up before it starts to break up)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this though.
Quote by Fisheth24
Wattage isn't about volume, it's about the amount of headroom that the amplifier has (So how much you can turn it up before it starts to break up)

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong on this though.

Yes so if I have more W I can push up the volume a little bit more before it starts to break up.. or not?
For your music and your budget I would look hard at these:

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Super Champ
Roland Blues Cube
Peavey Classic 30

All deliver quality tone and are reasonably gig-capable if you get there some day. I have played through all of them and would consider owning each for Classic Rock/Blues guitar. Each one has something the others don't. Ignore wattage as it is meaningless at this point. Focus on the tone and features you want. The difference in clean headroom between a 15w and 30w amp through the same speaker is 3db. An audible difference but not much and both can be damn loud. I think this size amp is a sweet spot for tone and versatility as a home practice amp or small gigs. Any would make a great 1st amp.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by Cajundaddy

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Super Champ
Roland Blues Cube
Peavey Classic 30

All deliver quality tone and are reasonably gig-capable if you get there some day. I have played through all of them and would consider owning each for Classic Rock/Blues guitar. Each one has something the others don't. Ignore wattage as it is meaningless at this point. Focus on the tone and features you want. The difference in clean headroom between a 15w and 30w amp through the same speaker is 3db. An audible difference but not much and both can be damn loud. I think this size amp is a sweet spot for tone and versatility as a home practice amp or small gigs. Any would make a great 1st amp.

Thank you, for the Roland you mean the Blues Cube Stage (60W) or Blues Cube Hot VB (30W)?
I think the one I played through was the Stage 60. It was in the backline at a gig and I was pretty impressed with the tone and features. I have also played through the older Cube 60 with orange tolex and it sounded pretty damn good for a SS amp. Roland gets it.

Quote by Cajundaddy

Fender Blues Jr.
Fender Super Champ
Roland Blues Cube
Peavey Classic 30

Good advice, used a classic thirty a while back when I was testing out some telecasters.

Lovely amps.
Please don't kill me, I am almost done... now in my list there are 2 amps and I added another one and I would like to know what do you think about it...

1) Roland Blues Cube Stage;

2) Fender Blues Junior

and now the last one I added

3) Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18 Twelve Combo

The Hughes&Kettner could give me the possibility to play it at 18W-5W-1W and for me it's a very good think, but for the music I want to play it is a good choice? What do you think about?

Thank you
I haven't tried it but just bear in mind that 1w is still loud. Too loud, most likely (if you want to crank it). Also it probably has some solid state stuff going on in it (i.e. it's not actually all-tube, though it probably is "mostly tube"), but that's probably not too important if youre also considering solid state amps like the roland.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I don't care for the tubemeister at all. YMMV.

it is very different than the other amps you listed. I still say to look into the classic 30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by Arroww
Please don't kill me, I am almost done... now in my list there are 2 amps and I added another one and I would like to know what do you think about it...

1) Roland Blues Cube Stage;

2) Fender Blues Junior

and now the last one I added

3) Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18 Twelve Combo

The Hughes&Kettner could give me the possibility to play it at 18W-5W-1W and for me it's a very good think, but for the music I want to play it is a good choice? What do you think about?

Thank you

The H&K should cover those bases, buy one with return policy just in case.
I listened some comparation between the Hughes&Kettner and Fender Blues Jr and there is no match, Fender wins easly.

So, considering I would like to listen also in my headphones what is the way to use a Fender Blues Jr and a pair of heaphones?

The Peavy is too much wattage for my use.

So Fender Blues Jr or Roland Cube Stage
Last edited by Arroww at Oct 29, 2016,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Sorry for stupid question but this Peavy need a speaker or it could sound without any speaker (I read head)?
Quote by Arroww
Sorry for stupid question but this Peavy need a speaker or it could sound without any speaker (I read head)?

If you want to hear it, you will need to either connect it to a speaker cab, or listen through headphones, or connect it via the XLR or USB outputs to something like a PA, mixing desk, or computer with the right software.

Quote by Arroww

The Peavy is too much wattage for my use.

The Peavey can be set to 5 watt and 1 watt modes.
as a general rule of thumb, NEVER run a tube amp without a load hooked up (like a speaker).

and yes, you would need a speaker cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Page 1 of 2