Hi gang,

I got up this morning and was going to make a FAT thread on dominant chords, but decided I wasn't in the mood for a massive text wall. So I scaled down, and tried to write a crash course on just secondary dominants, but then I figured that might have the opposite problem and be too brief. So I didn't do that either.

What I did do, however, was think about a comment made the other day relating to how sometimes the mods and experts on MT can get totally carried away when answering questions, resulting in one of two scenarios:

1. We go WAY overboard and get into all this complex stuff. Someone just asked what D7 in the key of C was, now 5 posts down we are talking about tritone subs and backdoor dominants.

2. We actually do a good job and hit the nail on the head, but the answer still doesn't "work" because we failed to explain the foundations of the concept to the uninitiated.

So, in order to smooth things out, I figured I'd just ask the open question: What do we know, and what are we working on? Everyone feel free to comment with stuff like:

1. Things you feel you have mastered
2. Things you know nothing about
3. Things you're currently trying to teach yourself
4. Things you want to learn in the future (inb4 modes)

Etc, etc, open forum as usual. I think if we get a better idea on MT regular's knowledge base + goals, we can do some cool stuff.

I'll go first;

I'm trying to spend more time using "special" scale sounds harmonically and as the basis for progressions and tunes vs. just ripping HW over Dom7 every time I want to make robot noises.

Other goals include trying to improvise more quartal/pentatonic chord arpeggios and "burying" all my arpeggios inside my lines, so the line between "scale time woooo", and "time for a big arpeggio woooo" goes completely away. It's blurry now but not as confusing and liquid as I want.

P.S. Still gonna do a thread on something at least related to dominant chords after work. Stay tuned.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Quote by Jet Penguin
just ripping HW over Dom7 every time I want to make robot noises.

I see nothing wrong with this

ehhh, let's see...

1. I'm not sure if I have mastered anything I know quite a bit of theory, and I would say I do really understand it and know how to apply it, that's probably my strength. So, I can't say I'm a master at "deep theory", but the basics I understand very well and know how to analyze music using them. And I do study musical analysis and criticism (among other things) in a university so I guess that counts for something.

2. I wouldn't say that I know nothing about this, but I do suck at the academic side of theory. I can't sight read for shizzz, I suck at engraving, and I can't say I'm familiar with really advanced theory and compositional techniques, at least from an academic viewpoint. I can write a nice tune I guess, but I might fail a paper test. I remember getting really frustrated at music school when I called a Db a C#, and the teacher said that it was an incorrect answer. I now understand why, but it still irritated me since the notes are identical in terms of sound. That probably sums up my relationship with musical academia

3. Trying to get a grasp on funk, jazz, soul etc. bass rhythm techniques. Working on stuff like walking bass, groovy basslines and overall more complex rhythm theory, if that's even a proper term, and my jazz improv skills could always use an improvement. In terms of theory, I'm trying to become better at jazz composition, and I'm interested in classical composition as well. I'm cooking this idea about a string quartet piece I want to write.

4. I'd love to understand ballets, opera and other such forms of mixed-arts music (proper terms lol). I'm also interested in modernism/postmodernism in classical music and would like to study the culture and theory behind that era.

I'm not sure if you got any useful information out of this but I tried
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
I've been trying to get better at electronic music writing, guitar, remixing, and bass. I'm getting faster and more precise and attempting to learn full songs correctly. Trying to write better bassines too and understand polyrhythms, polymeter, uncommon time, Japanese sounding music (theory and rhythm), and Djent. Got any tips? Hope everyone has a good day ...
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Quote by Jet Penguin

What I did do, however, was think about a comment made the other day relating to how sometimes the mods and experts on MT can get totally carried away when answering questions, resulting in one of two scenarios:

1. We go WAY overboard and get into all this complex stuff. Someone just asked what D7 in the key of C was, now 5 posts down we are talking about tritone subs and backdoor dominants.

2. We actually do a good job and hit the nail on the head, but the answer still doesn't "work" because we failed to explain the foundations of the concept to the uninitiated.

So, in order to smooth things out, I figured I'd just ask the open question: What do we know, and what are we working on? Everyone feel free to comment with stuff like:

Etc, etc, open forum as usual. I think if we get a better idea on MT regular's knowledge base + goals, we can do some cool stuff.

I'll go first;

I'm trying to spend more time using "special" scale sounds harmonically and as the basis for progressions and tunes vs. just ripping HW over Dom7 every time I want to make robot noises.

Other goals include trying to improvise more quartal/pentatonic chord arpeggios and "burying" all my arpeggios inside my lines, so the line between "scale time woooo", and "time for a big arpeggio woooo" goes completely away. It's blurry now but not as confusing and liquid as I want.

P.S. Still gonna do a thread on something at least related to dominant chords after work. Stay tuned.

(As you already know) That was me, and I'm kind of a bit embarrassed about it now It might have been slightly less embarassing if I hadn't made a total fool of myself in that other thread where I couldn't competently tell a fourth from a tritone

To be fair, that kind of thing probably happens in most forums where you have people who know what they're talking about trying to explain stuff to more beginner types. I guess just being aware of it (like the 1) and 2) you posted there) should help, at least a bit- don't move on to the more complicated stuff until it seems like the threadstarter has understood the more basic stuff.

1) Regarding the stuff I know, I'm a bit like kev- I'm not that keen on the academic side of it (though I wish I could do it better). I think I can play a piece of music and make it sound reasonably musical. That's pretty much my goal, playing music, enjoying it, and hopefully sounding half-decent while I'm at it. I guess I'd say I know (very) basic theory, but 2)

I don't know any of the more advanced concepts at all really- I learnt about secondary dominants the other day from a thread, here (thanks! ) so I guess that shows the kind of level I'm at. (I'd definitely heard of them before but never bothered to learn them.)

3) I'm not sure I'm actually deliberately proactively learning anything currently in terms of music

4) Everything, I guess, but that's kind of tempered by how much bother it takes to learn it.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I'm working on :

1) Incorporating polyrythms in lines in solos and riffs
2) advanced articulation - micro bends in faster lines, aggressive wide bends on lower strings, vibrato on entire upper chord voicings.
3) fast muted picking lines
Memorizing chord shapes with the roots on strings 4-6 LOL

I swear I'm a good guitar player
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Wedding season is over, so I am now free to work on stuff that isn't 80s pop music. Gonna pick back up with some half-assed jazz transcriptions, work up some solo jazz repertoire in case I'm needed for cocktail gigs, and get my fancy techniques back up to speed. The other guitar teacher who uses my room also left a bunch of books laying around, so I copied a few pages out of a book on using said fancy techniques in jazz lines. You know, in case someone wants me to play the Frank Gambale version of "Autumn Leaves". Also gonna re-focus on recording new demos.
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 26, 2016,
^Read that as "welding season", had a laugh.

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Basic music theory
Basic song structure
Guitar and piano technique for rock and pop

Equipment & gear
Greek folk

Loads. I've been playing bouzouki for the last 2 months, learning Irish, Greek and Bulgarian folk on that.
I'm improving my ability to learn songs quickly and write charts, as a pro guitar and piano/synth player.

I have a few books on orchestration and 20th Century harmony that I need to get through. I've experimented with tone rows and learnt a few of Schoenbergs "little piano pieces" and I'd like to get deeper into that.
I've abandoned getting good at jazz piano in lieu of more immediate goals. Gotta get back to that.
Writing more original music for my band.
playing my own parts, knowing how to talk like i know what i'm doing

writing for others, and particularly writing for others and then swallowing that part to play it myself in one smooth motion. i need to just join a punk band, if i have a good drummer i can write a whole setlist in a few hours to completion but it's hard to isolate myself

i've been stuck doing nothing musically at all. that's what happens when you work weekends and study full time a subject that has literally nothing to do with music

tbh there isn't much. when i want to learn something, i learn it, but i honestly haven't been terribly inspired to actually do anything other than break down better artists and try and steal their essences and the ongoing moral debate in my head concerning that. since i've actively decided to let music stay limited to a hobby, everything else has overtaken it. hopefully this summer i'll have a little free time (and that 7 string i keep pining for)

Quote by Jet Penguin
^Read that as "welding season", had a laugh.

welding season ain't never over, boy
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
I'm pretty active with music stuff, but not really committing to specific learning or practice goals with theory. Lately I've been interested in figuring out how different genres of music work with reference to their instrumentation etc and writing music for my bands.

Here's a band that we started this year, it's heaps of fun.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
i didn't know you played bass alan
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
^

Alan the guitar slinging lawyer...unstoppable. Sounds good.

Thanks dudes, if you guys are in any bands I'd be keen to hear them too.
Soundcloud
Quote by Declan87

Greek folk

I mean, they're just people like everyone else. Are you sure you're not racist?

Quote by Hail

brilliant
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
I mean, they're just people like everyone else. Are you sure you're not racist?
Some of them are fairly unorthodox
Quote by Hail

I do and it makes my vagina very moist when I play it.
Soundcloud
Quote by Declan87
Some of them are fairly unorthodox

hahaha
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

What I have down: I guess I kinda have theory down ok. It's kinda a diluted mix of jazz+classical concepts. Probably (definitely) worse than some others on here. Some songwriting stuff.

What I don't have down: most things. gotta practice.

What I've been up to: I'm working on learning banjo and lap steel. Getting better at jazz, bluegrass, country, rock, rockabilly, blues and classic rock stuff. Trying to get better at rhythmic/structural awareness while improvising. I can play in time, but I want to know exactly where I am in a measure at all times. I don't rn. Get better at thematic development and sequencing. Learn to sing.

I'm trying to get a band going, but we can't find a singer, so were're playing surf stuff.

Teach mah students. Build mah pedal board. Obsess over what guitar to buy because it's about time I had one that wasn't beginner tier gear.

and school and stuff. and work.

It was nice seein what everybody's been up to.