So I walked into my local music store today and saw an Exp 425 and was kind of surprised. Definitely a cool guitar, but it was pretty beat up with chips dings and things everywhere. Played pretty nicely, but the electronics sounded like they needed a little work. Store wanted $700 for it...good deal? I know ones in pretty good condition go for around $1,000, but I just don't know. Anyways, drop me some knowledge!
I'd pick it up, genuine Kahler, HSS config Explorer sounds like a dream come true for me. I didn't even know these guitars existed.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
I'd pick it up, genuine Kahler, HSS config Explorer sounds like a dream come true for me. I didn't even know these guitars existed.

I agree if the Kahler is in good shape and there is only minor issues with the electronics and the guitar plays good I'd jump on it the dings and nicks are to be expected from most mid 80's guitars if it was regularly gigged. I have a couple of late 80's axes that were case queens with only minute dimples and light scratches in the clear but most from that era are survivors and have the scars to show it. Sounds like a pretty uncommon guitar and that always scores points in my book!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I agree if the Kahler is in good shape and there is only minor issues with the electronics and the guitar plays good I'd jump on it the dings and nicks are to be expected from most mid 80's guitars if it was regularly gigged. I have a couple of late 80's axes that were case queens with only minute dimples and light scratches in the clear but most from that era are survivors and have the scars to show it. Sounds like a pretty uncommon guitar and that always scores points in my book!

Oh yeah, even then, if the Kahler needs parts, wammiworld has everything.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by RBM01991
Oh yeah, even then, if the Kahler needs parts, wammiworld has everything.

As long as it is not a Kahler Flyer the saddles on those suck holding tension with just springs which sometimes allow sideways motion despite the saddle grooves when divebombing, unlike other models where sideways motion is prevented by the baseplate design. I had a Flyer back in the 80's and it was a nightmare to try and keep it in tune.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 28, 2016,