Hi!
So I've had a few amps, but I'm looking for a new one. I mostly use my 100 watt valvestate combo. And it does great. I actually really like it. But I'm looking for something that's a little more...specialized I guess.
So I'm looking for an amp with 2 channels, clean and overdrive. Can be a head or a combo. I have cabs. And I'm really looking at tube amps. Solid state I am open to, but I don't think any will do what I'm looking for.
So I want an amp that the clean channel stays clean as far up as possible. I mostly use an American special strat, so single coils will help I think, but a lot of clean headroom. Yet small enough that I can crank the second channel loud enough to get a little bit of power tube distortion along with some preamp distortion.
Right now I'm kinda looking at the Marshall dsl15. It looks pretty close. And although it's too loud to get power tube distortion I think, the bogner alchemist seems to sound nice from what I can hear online
Also, I can mic my amp for gigs. So if it's not quite loud enough that is okay. But I also don't want to have to mic it at very small gigs. We play a lot for just around 30 people or so so it's really just loud enough to get over the drummer. Who doesn't hit particularly hard.

So is this amp even possible? If you're hitting the power tubes hard enough for one channel to distort then both would I would assume, but maybe I'm wrong. And maybe somebody has a good suggestion anyway.
Well I play a lot of punk. Blues. 80s style metal. But mainly what I'd want this amp for is just a general rock and roll sound I guess. A cranked jtm45 has the best overdrive sound I've ever heard in my opinion. But I can't afford a jtm45. And I should have put it in there but I'd like to stay under 500. Preferably closer to the 400 mark.
Before I saw your budget I was going to suggest a Budda SuperDrive.

So you want a high headroom clean and pushed distortion 2 channel amp for $400? Don't think you'll be in the 100W range here.

Maybe a Peavey JSX and don't use the 3rd channel.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
No. I was thinking likely somewhere around the 20 watt range haha. Not 100 watts
I really like the Budda SuperDrive. i have considered getting one. But as I'm not a professional musician, or that good to be frank, I can't really drop that kind of cash.

The drive channel doesn't need to be one I can push, a good crunch will be fine there. I just mean that I don't want a heavy metal amp for drop tuned emo mayhem. I have pedals that will do that. But high headroom on the clean channel is important to me
Quote by Garrett2727
No. I was thinking likely somewhere around the 20 watt range haha. Not 100 watts
I really like the Budda SuperDrive. i have considered getting one. But as I'm not a professional musician, or that good to be frank, I can't really drop that kind of cash.

The drive channel doesn't need to be one I can push, a good crunch will be fine there. I just mean that I don't want a heavy metal amp for drop tuned emo mayhem. I have pedals that will do that. But high headroom on the clean channel is important to me

lower wattage amps don't stay clean when turned up. in order to get the power tube distortion you mentioned you have to turn the amp up pretty loud. why do you feel you need power amp distortion? I kinda get the feeling that you read a bunch of stuff and aren't all that sure about what you really need.
JSX / 3120 or Valveking. Bognar Helios would be perfect for you, but unfortunately well out of your price range.
Well I meant that type of distortion. Like I said, I know that if I were to crank an amp enough to distort one channel from the power amp alone it would also distort the other channel. But I want distortion that is similar to what you would get if you were to crank an amp to power tube distortion. For the second channel anyway. So the first channel would be a high headroom clean channel. I realize if it's tube it will distort eventually. But I'd like it to distort as little as I can get away with. As for the drive channel, I just want a drive sound that is similar to what an amp would sound like if you were to crank the volume and distort the power tubes. That type of sound vs say, a very very light overdrive or enough distortion for metal.
My top choice as it is is a Marshall dsl15. A peavey classic 30 would work but I don't particularly like the sound all that much. And I heard a bogner alchemist and liked it. But past that I don't know any other amps that have that type of sound
Also having said that, the Marshall DSL has a lot of gain. I'd likely run the gain less than half. Maybe 3 or 4. But I like the tone
Bugera T50, V22HD, and V55HD. All within budget. Most expensive being the V55HD at $399.99.
I've heard good things about the V55. Played one of the combo versions, wasn't half bad. Can't remember if it was the 55 or 22 though.
This is going to sound a bit strange, but I'm voting for a Krank Nineteen80 or a 2-channel Krank Chadwick. They might be a bit of a push on your budget (probably closer to $500) but I think they'd get you where you want to be. They are darker amps, so be weary of that, but the clean on the Nineteen80 (I had one, and also a single channel Chadwick) will stay clean pretty much all the way up, and the distortion is more fat and raucous, like a cranked up sound.

The aesthetic may not be your thing, but man those amps slay when it comes to sound.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'll check those out. Especially that Krank. It looks kinda like one of the new peavey butchers. I like those a lot but they are never for sale used. Not low enough to constitute buying one anyway
Thanks
The DSL has a great classic rock tone when you drive the classic gain (IMO) but not sure it will give you the clean headroom you want? There is no effects loop, if that is an issue.
Garrett2727 get a small Mesa combo, Express or Rectoverb etc. Buy used if you can't afford new. I had a Valvestate Marshall growing up, the difference between that amp and an amp like a Mesa is night and day - it will blow your face off. The beauty is that they sound great at low volumes and high volumes - they are well designed and well built.
My jet city 20 head has enough clean headroom for what I want. Well, almost. Very close. It does but I'd like it just a touch cleaner. So I think the DSL will do fine. But I'm weighing my options
I am interested in Mesa, but I don't know any that are anywhere near my price range. What ones should I look for?
some of the mesas have variable wattage that you can set per channel, but they're going to be way over budget i'd have thought
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Try a used Crate Vintage Club 30 or 50, ~$200-300 respectively. Beautiful rich earthy distortion through a significant volume range on the overdrive channel and crisp clean tone on the straight through channel through a majority of the volume range. They've replaced these with the FlexWave V series but I haven't tried those. I used my Vintage 30 playing out for almost 15 years with 1958 335 and loved it. I also have a 60's Strat which sounds great with it also.
You just described Mesa amps.
Clean channel that rivals a Princeton Blackface (because the circuit was designed to replicate that) and world class OD channel that goes from singing OD to serious hi gain tone. Hit CL and go play through some used Mesa amps. I think you will like what you hear. A lot of the amps from the 90s can be found for less than $500 now and they are built like tanks. Studio 22, 50 Cal, Single Rec, F-30, F-50.

Good hunting!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 27, 2016,
Okay. I've always liked Mesa but I just couldn't justify dropping that much cash on an amp.
But I will look at possibly a Mesa. One of the studio 22s, 50 calibers, or single rectifiers yes? I will look.
And I will also look into those crate amps.

Thanks guys. I knew there had to be some I didn't know
Here is a nice one in OC. Add an OD pedal up front and these things rip!

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5846463678.html
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Garrett2727

Yes, if you posted your home city or region we could be even more helpful.