Hi there,

I'm recently doing a lot of work-related travelling and as such I don't play my guitar nearly as much as I'd like. I could take my guitar with me on a lot of the trips, but playing it without any kind of amp doesn't have the same "oomph" to it. Taking my amp isn't an option tho (it's too big and heavy).

As such, I was wondering about getting something portable for my travels. Since I have some Line6 gear the first thing that came to my mind was a Pocket POD, namely the 2.0 version.

However, as far as I can tell, the product has been discontinued. I can't really find a local store selling it, and my best bet is to get one used. I don't mind getting a used one, but the fact that it's been discontinued makes me wonder if there isn't something better suited for the task.

And so, here I am looking for advice - are there are decent alternatives / successors to the Line6 POD 2.0?

PS. I'm not actually 100% sure if the POD 2.0 is discontinued or not. What I DO know is that all the shops in Poland seem to list the product as unavailable...
Last edited by shaamaan at Oct 27, 2016,
pod XT, pod X3, POD HD, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
pod XT, pod X3, POD HD, etc.

Well damn... seems like I really lost track of time. That's quite a lineup of new stuff!

Thanks!
Quote by shaamaan
Well damn... seems like I really lost track of time. That's quite a lineup of new stuff!

Thanks!

three lineups actually.

i would recommend the POD HD Desktop (a.k.a. bean) for traveling.

another thing to look into for headphone practice would be a korg pandora Px4 or something similar. they are a little less tone oriented, but have more practice tools built in. they are a little smaller as well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

a tablet based program like positive grid's bias could work well too (i haven't tried it though).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Boss Micro, Line 6 POD, Korg Pandora, Tascam GT-R...lots of options out there, either in current production or recently discontinued.

You might also check out some of the MFX pedals. Many have headphone jacks.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Uhh as far as my interweb looks, the pocket pod is still for sale at major music retailers. I have one, and it is great. 4 AAA batteries last quite long, and you can really dial in some nice sounds. Its got no traditional pod functionality, like pedals or anything, but its great for on the go playing. You can plug in an external music device and it sounds great for play along too. I love mine.
Hey everyone. Thanks for the replies.

Well, I've given it some thought, and now I feel like I'm in an even bigger pickle than before! I've no clue what to pick now! ;P

Once I started googling some of the stuff you guys suggested I found quite a few of them are out of my price range. Or rather - I don't feel like spending THAT much money on a piece of gear for on-the-go playing (via headphones, no less) is a good investment. I feel like spending 300-350 PLN at most (80 EUR / 88 USD). I've no qualms about getting something used (assuming I can find it, of course).

The newest in the POD family seem to be actual miniature PODs - with the whole configurable effects processor chain - and also cost way WAY too much. I think that for playing on the go a few good presets should probably be enough. Additional beat / percussion / tuner seems like a great bonus. Recording capability purely optional.

A new Korg Pandora seems to meet the price requirements and seems to have the basics. But at the same time I have a feeling that if I can get a used POD 2.0 for the same price, it'll be a better buy. In other words - I have no idea how those devices relate to each other in terms of quality of sound or the presets provided.

Any chance you could help me find the ideal device given the extra information above?

PS. One more thing - I hate having to replace batteries. If any of the devices can use a wall-socket for power, that's really great. I know the POD comes with a power cord, so there's that as well.
Most of them can work with a plug, but few of them have one included.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Micro Br is what got my money. Bought one for $60 used with memory card and pouch. I feel it is a bit limited in sound but I find I dial it in easy and sounds good. I use AA batteries when travelling as they're easy to replace and can find them anywhere but you can buy a regular pedal adapter (9v) for another $10 or so, which it turned out I have one from my peal board that works with so I didn't do.
Quote by shaamaan

A new Korg Pandora seems to meet the price requirements and seems to have the basics.

PS. One more thing - I hate having to replace batteries. If any of the devices can use a wall-socket for power, that's really great. I know the POD comes with a power cord, so there's that as well.

I'm a fan of the regular-size Pods, but not of the Pocket Pod, sorry. I picked the Korg Pandora, and I've got an ancient PX3D, a recent PX5D and a Mini. Of those, my favorite is the PX5D. Compared to the Pocket Pod (for example), there's a tuner, a metronome, a whole raft of amps/cabs/FX, a lot of presets, a bunch of space for user presets, a pretty good set of drum patterns, a pretty good set of bass patterns, the ability to play along with an MP3 player through the Aux input, the ability to slow DOWN an MP3 without changing the pitch, the ability to change the PITCH of the MP3 without changing the speed, a phrase trainer (about 80 seconds of *part* of an MP3 that will play over and over again while you try to learn it) and a USB port for running out to recording software (something like Audacity was included in the box and/or a current version is downloadable. Oh, and there's an AC wall wart for it if you don't want to use batteries.