Poll Options
View poll results: Genetic Engineering vs Ethics
Genetic engineering
17 94%
Ethics
1 6%
Voters: 18.
Page 1 of 3
Genetic engineering can cure deadly diseases.
It can make fruit trees grow a bigger amount of fruits.
It can evolve animals so they are more suitable to their enviroment after climate change.
It can create entirely new species for special uses.

However people believe that is not correct to change the world this way.

What's your opinion on the matter ?
I think that equating natural with inherent goodness is stupid. That creating a baby in the womb is ethical, but in a lab it is not.
It was my privilege
We've been doing primitive versions of it for thousands of years i.e. cross-breeding. All I see it as is matching methods to an advancing modern society.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I think that the most ethical thing in regards to preserving nature would be to wipe out our species. Since we're not going to do that willingly, lets go all out and make 10ft monster fruit and flying vegetarian tigers.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
A fear of genetic engineering will hold us back as a species

Looking at you, religious people
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Most would probably consider it potentially a positive thing, but I think where people draw the line is something like picking and choosing innocuous characteristics for their children-to-be.
Quote by sashki
What are the arguments against genetic engineering?
If genetic engineering can be used to cure diseases and provide food, is it unethical to hinder its development?
Most arguments are along the lines of "I read in the Daily Mail...." and the always popular "science makes baby Jesus cry".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by DHF1234
What's your opinion on the matter ?

yes
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by chrismendiola
Most would probably consider it potentially a positive thing, but I think where people draw the line is something like picking and choosing innocuous characteristics for their children-to-be.
yeah i think it would have to be something purely for health and safety reasons. otherwise you've got a gene editor that would inevitably be available only to the rich and then societal divides become more extreme
Genetic engineer? I hardly knew her!

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
For reasons of health and curing of disease it seems ethical enough to me what is wrong with ending pain and suffering?, although these treatments/cures will most assuredly be available to the wealthy not the commoner at least for a while.

Of course it woudn't be long before the leaders of not so ethical countries (or even those that profess to be ethical) would be secretly trying to engineer some super humans to be used as soldiers in the military and nothing could possibly go wrong there amirite?

Not to mention sports teams in the U.S. trying to create genetically superior athletes!

Insert obligatory quote from Peter Parker's uncle Ben. "_________________________________________"
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
For reasons of health and curing of disease it seems ethical enough to me what is wrong with ending pain and suffering?, although these treatments/cures will most assuredly be available to the wealthy not the commoner at least for a while.

Of course it woudn't be long before the leaders of not so ethical countries (or even those that profess to be ethical) would be secretly trying to engineer some super humans to be used as soldiers in the military and nothing could possibly go wrong there amirite?

Not to mention sports teams in the U.S. trying to create genetically superior athletes!

Insert obligatory quote from Peter Parker's uncle Ben. "_________________________________________"
The same thing was once true of running water, indoor toilets and sex tapes.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Just because the world is a certain way doesn't mean is should be that way.

Just because the world isn't a certain way doesn't mean it shouldn't be that way.

platitude I know but one that bears mention
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The same thing was once true of running water, indoor toilets and sex tapes.

Don't forget automobiles
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

I don't see an ethical issue at all, at least from a "oh noes you're altering the natural order" perspective, that's a bit ridiculous (because essentially it's about enhancement of X for the benefit of everybody)

but there is an ethical issue when it comes to the business practices (eg patents) associated with geneticly engineered seeds and so on though. "Let's slowly hand over complete control of the world's grain supply to a single corporation" that's a really good fucking idea
Quote by chrismendiola

why?
It was my privilege
Quote by Banjocal

platitude I know but one that bears mention

wat else do they say
Quote by bass.desires
staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.
Quote by StewieSwan
why?

I can't tell you for sure, but I'd guess people take issue with the idea that parents are gonna change their kids' hair color or something 'cause they're gonna love them more.
Quote by chrismendiola
I can't tell you for sure, but I'd guess people take issue with the idea that parents are gonna change their kids' hair color or something 'cause they're gonna love them more.

What's wrong with that?
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
What's wrong with that?

I don't know, why are you asking me? I don't represent the people who believe this.
Quote by Dreadnought
A fear of genetic engineering will hold us back as a species

Looking at you, religious people
You mean "greenies" and leftists? Cuz they're the biggest opponents in the US.

Genetic modification is the ethical choice.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by chrismendiola
I don't know, why are you asking me? I don't represent the people who believe this.

Because you brought it up I guess
It was my privilege
Quote by seanlang01
You mean "greenies" and leftists? Cuz they're the biggest opponents in the US.

Genetic modification is the ethical choice.

Yeah sure whomever
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
i just want a doc to shorten my calf muscles to theoretically improve my jumping ability.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
I want a doc to prescribe me Anabol so my calves can grow because calf raises aren't doing shit.
Quote by StewieSwan
What's wrong with that?
Well, it's likely to be a procedure carried out in vitro, and so carries all the additional inherent risks of IVF.
Quote by Diemon Dave
watch this show to find out

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Well, it's likely to be a procedure carried out in vitro, and so carries all the additional inherent risks of IVF.

your body your choice
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
your body your choice
True, but that doesn't mean your healthcare provider should be obliged to pay for your aryan baby.
Quote by Diemon Dave
We should go for it - nature is dead and its corpse is at our disposal.

With that being said, it's a fine line to walk. It should be handled by the EU and organized by the right institutions. Capital should be kept as far away from it as possible.

Weird techno music suddenly crests the horizon.

Quote by soundgarden1986
i hope i live to see the age where children can be created with some sort of dork souls character creator
ftfy
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by soundgarden1986
i hope i live to see the age where children can be created with some sort of dark souls character creator

OK that is at the very least mildly disturbing.

Sounds like Zager and Evans were on the right track!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by chrismendiola
I want a doc to prescribe me Anabol so my calves can grow because calf raises aren't doing shit.

you're supposed to feed calves, not lift them!

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by chrismendiola

Don't blame the lack of gains on the exercise.

Blame it on your shit technique.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by seanlang01
GMO weed. Just imagine.
In what way would it be better than the current huge number of varieties?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by seanlang01
GMO weed. Just imagine.

Paying an extra 3 bucks a G for GMO chin?

No thanks.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Page 1 of 3