I'm headed to a guitar store for repairs My guitar is fucked up right now. The jack is super lose to the point where if i try to tighten it, the whole thing will just turn. The nut groves are to low where the strings touch the frets as a result of trying to carve them when I got a lower gauge. The three way switch is jacked up some wires are loose and I don't where they go. my bridge selection and my neck selection are fine, but when I switch to both It's either buzzing loudly or it just doesn't want to play through at all. Any idea what Sam Ash or Guitar Center would charge for this? Keep in mind I have no idea what's normal for repairs.
Last edited by blackveilsirens413 at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by blackveilsirens413
I'm headed to a guitar store for repairs My guitar is fucked up right now. The jack is super lose to the point where if i try to tighten it, the whole thing will just turn. The nut groves are to low where the strings touch the frets as a result of trying to carve them when I got a lower gauge. The three way switch is jacked up some wires are loose and I don't where they go. my bridge selection and my neck selection are fine, but when I switch to both It's either buzzing loudly or it just doesn't want to play through at all. Any idea what Sam Ash or Guitar Center would charge for this?

My experience has been that they will charge too much and not get the job done right the first time. A phone call would probably tell you how much they'll ask for it. If you can find a Really Good independent tech in your area, you're in better shape. Let us know where you're located and you'll have a chance to get some suggestions.
Talk to some of the local musicians and see who they recommend. The guys out playing clubs all the time usually have a lot better idea who does good work than anyone else. Most of the time it will be a guy in a mom and pop shop rather then the big names like Guitar Center and such.

I started learning to do my own repairs due to incompetent guys in music stores. The guy here in town did guitars for the other 2 guys in my band, supposed to just change strings on one and do a setup on the other, both were horrible. Strings tied on with knots, took me 30 minutes to get one set of strings off. Setup that was fine before completely trashed, I had to reset bridge, pickups, action, intonation and truss rod, when nothing needed to be changed, just a string swap. The other was a setup, all he needed to do was lower the bridge and check intonation, I had to reset all of the above on that one too, strings tied on the tuners in knots again...I started learning to do it myself.

Exact opposite when I was in north Louisiana, guy in a vintage guitar store there was teaching me things, best tech in town. I found him looking for parts for a guitar. Never went anywhere else, he ended up teaching me things I didn't know how to do right, let me use his tools if I didn't have the right stuff, used pickups $5 each, good prices on new stuff, great guy. It really sucked when he retired...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 27, 2016,
what guitar is it?

electronics are easily repaired yourself.

a properly cut nut won't be cheap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what guitar is it?

electronics are easily repaired yourself.

a properly cut nut won't be cheap.

nuts really are fairly cheap and installation isn't expensive either (compared to most repairs) . sure if you have a $100 guitar then $30 for a good nut and another $25-30 to install may seem like a lot, I guess
Like dspellman and Paleo Pete said, find a good local tech or luthier. GC or SA will cost about double what it should, and may not be done correctly.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Tech21 Trademark 10