My Head is going to explode !

so much to learn and i'm chasing my tail. i need some strategy.

i would discribe myself as an advanced beginner. i have some great techniques down well but its all hodge podge. half songs, riffs, bits of scales.

What should i be doing? i am interested in music over all, piano and guitar. electric, classical, folk.. Gypsy Jazz. all the theory. all of it. i never learned at school and have taught myself what i know from various sources. i am very hungry to learn but want to cut the BS. aht there is alot of BS out there.

i think i'm trying to swallow too much in one go and struggling. how should i proceed? what has worked for you? i need a path people... HELP!

I am the proud owner of

Axes...

Gibson LP Studio with Bigsby B500
a Cort SFX
a Lag classical BBQ
a pile of Ukuleles including Luna, Vintage...

Tech
Line 6 Pod X3
a Jamman Loop Pedal
Roland 40XL

and a Casio PX 5S (stage piano)

Oh and most imprtantly, a piar of maracas.
its all hodge podge. half songs, riffs, bits of scales.

Learn an entire song. Rhythm part first. Go from there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Simply put:

A) Theory

1) learn the C major scale and learn to name the intervals ( learn what a major third is and a 4th and a 5th etc.)- this is literally step 1.
2) learn the harmonized C major scale using basic 3 note chords. Cmaj, D min, Emin, Fmaj, Gmaj, Amin, etc.- play those chords up the neck in order to understand the sound.
3) learn to name each chord in that scale by its number ( i.e. learn what II, V, I means). start thinking of chord progressions by those numbers rather than the actual chords.
4) now harmonize the major scale using 7th chords - cmaj7, dmin7 etc. just play the chords/arpeggios is order to hear the sound.
5) learn how chords are named and formed in relation to the major scale and its intervals - a Minor chord has a minor 3rd -etc.
6) learn the A minor scale - you'll notice it has all the same notes as C major - because it's the relative minor scale of C.

That will get you started on functional theory and its a lot of information to take in. The next step after that is to try and analyse simple songs in C and map them out with the roman numeral system - so I, IV, V for a basic rock song etc. Next, learn the G major scale and repeat all the steps above. Here you will notice that E minor is the relative minor. Play a II, V, I in the key of G major - you'll notice that it sounds identical to a II, V, I in the key of C, it's just in a different key, much like moving a capo around and strumming the same song in different positions.

The first goal you want to achieve is to able to quickly identify what key a riff is in and to be able to think of each chord in terms of the roman numeral relationship. This will start you out in learning what notes will work when improvising. Playing over a "II, V, I" chord progression in any key is essentially the same, you're just playing in different spots, but the sounds are the same and the relationships between the notes are the same.

B) learn by ear

Start learning songs and solos by ear - now - this is what makes you a real musician. start with songs that are slow and clearly recorded - where you can really hear each part clearly.

C) start learning material - full songs in the genres you want to study.
Cool thanks for the tips.

How do you guys devide up dedicated practice time? i dont just mean when you chill with a guitar but when you say "right i've got an hour and a half infront of me here, lets practice"

i was thinking about 30 minutes theory, 30 min excercises, 30 song. sound about right?
gibsenderetsch My advice to you is to grind sometimes - so spend an hour and a half just working on one song or even one part of one song or a scale. Other days you can divide it up as you indicated. Try lumping in repetitive practice ( like a scale or exercise) with other activities like watching shows or movies etc. You can sneak in extra hours that way and its less exhausting. Also, create visual charts of scales etc. print out fretboard diagrams and highlight the notes of a pattern you want to work on etc. it helps a lot.
Your direction depends on your goals. Do you want play music for a living? As a part time professional? Jam with friends in your basement?

It sounds like you'll never run out of things that interest you, so instead of pursuing one genre, pursue goals bigger than trying to perfect a particular style. You may be suited to songwriting or composition more than instrumental performance. Play whatever kind of music you want, but think about what place you want music to have in your life and make the appropriate priorities. If you do want to play for a living, pursue the skill set that makes you valuable to other players and audiences.
your in a place where many players are..its like your applying for a job..ok you gave us a short résumé..now..lets see

1-how serious are you about learning music
2-how much time are you willing to study
3-you will need to be dedicated and patient as results may take some time
4-TIP: one great obstacle to learning--you think you already know it !!

lets start with the basics -- Do you know diatonic harmony? If yes..can you apply it to all 12 keys - scales and arpeggios--chords..triads and four note chords and all inversions in all positions.... Do you think its necessary to learn this amount of material..?

in conjunction with diatonic harmony..the study of theory is highly recommended..

all the above should be applies to song structures and improvisation

can you visualize the end result..are you willing to work to make it happen..

Gear is NOT music..How I wish it were,,,
play well

wolf