Hiya! First post here. Just trying to figure this out. I have an Orange Cursh 30r. It's a 1x12, 30 watt amp (it has a 40 watt speaker in it though). Right now for shows I'm running my Orange Crush from the lineout to an Acoustic b200 bass amp, acting as an extension cab. I love the sound of the amp which is why I'm a little hesitant to just buy a head or a bigger combo. But recently, I've been considering putting a speaker extension plug on my Crush and running it to a Marshall 1965 4x10 to help lighten my load instead of lugging around my heavy Acoustic bass amp. Would using the Marshall cab be just as loud as using the Acoustic amp? Trying to figure this out before I actually buy the Marshall cab. I'm playing hardcore and punk so I things need to be pretty loud for me. Any help is much appreciated!
Not as such, no. An amp is an amp and without an extra gain stage a speaker's not getting any more power than the amp's own speakers are. A more efficient set of speakers, however would be louder. Consider also that having your amp as loud as possible might not be the solution to your volume needs.
Quote by gbgreitzer
Would using the Marshall cab be just as loud as using the Acoustic amp?

no. adding a different speaker cab will do things to the output that are complicated and not worth getting into here, but it won't make it as loud as running a slave amp will. a slave amp is a far more effective approach than adding more speakers.

that being said, there is a number of slave amp options that are fairly cheap if you really like that orange crush tone. something like a cheap powered monitor will probably be lighter and be just about as effective as running your bass amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gbgreitzer
Hiya! First post here. Just trying to figure this out. I have an Orange Cursh 30r. It's a 1x12, 30 watt amp (it has a 40 watt speaker in it though). Right now for shows I'm running my Orange Crush from the lineout to an Acoustic b200 bass amp, acting as an extension cab.!

You're not using it as an extension cabinet -- you're using it as additional amplification, if I'm reading this right. If the Acoustic is turned on and you're using the amplifier in it, then it's not an extension cabinet. if the Acoustic is turned OFF and you're running its speaker only off *just* the power in the Orange Cursh (?), then it's being used as an extension cabinet.

If you want "louder," then run from the lineout to a powered speaker or two. Wait, isn't that what gumbilicious just said?
Quote by dspellman
Wait, isn't that what gumbilicious just said?

ikr? i am sure it won't ever happen again.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by gbgreitzer
Hiya! First post here. Just trying to figure this out. I have an Orange Cursh 30r. It's a 1x12, 30 watt amp (it has a 40 watt speaker in it though). Right now for shows I'm running my Orange Crush from the lineout to an Acoustic b200 bass amp, acting as an extension cab. I love the sound of the amp which is why I'm a little hesitant to just buy a head or a bigger combo. But recently, I've been considering putting a speaker extension plug on my Crush and running it to a Marshall 1965 4x10 to help lighten my load instead of lugging around my heavy Acoustic bass amp. Would using the Marshall cab be just as loud as using the Acoustic amp? Trying to figure this out before I actually buy the Marshall cab. I'm playing hardcore and punk so I things need to be pretty loud for me. Any help is much appreciated!
Adding on the extension Marshall cab will give some volume boost, but it would still be running on the 30 watt output from the amp. If you need more volume, micing the amp for PA support is more ideal. Or if you cannot do that/not always going to have access to a PA, you need a more powerful amp. The Orange Crush series, although considered to be one of the relatively "good" SS amps in comparison to some units, is not much to do professional gigs with, especially at 30w non-mic'd. If you like the Orange sound, consider investing in one of their more professional tube units. Or we can suggest other options to you if you are on a tighter budget.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 27, 2016,
the sensitivity of speakers plays a big part, from my experience more than the quantity of the speakers being pushed.

i don't remember all of the math.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
the sensitivity of speakers plays a big part, from my experience more than the quantity of the speakers being pushed.

i don't remember all of the math.

it's true, speaker sensitivity can be a huge factor. unfortunately, once i started actually paying attention to guitar speaker sensitivities i realized they are all pretty close together, most seem to be around 98 to 101 (db @ 1m @ 1 watt). so in reality speaker sensitivity is not going to be a big factor.

-ae