Well, the only trick I see in the entire song is the moveable D major chord:

e-1___x
B-2___3
G-3___2
D-4___4 (That note is F#, assuming no capo)
A-5___5 (D, same as D-4 open)
E-6___x

The strumming is basically, D, triplet, triplet, D,U,D,U.

"Tripolets" count in threes, "trip-o-let". The D,U,D,U counts as 1/8ths, or one quarter notes. I really suck at notation, but that's a decent start for you, practice, and make sure you have a capo handy. The song is in F# minor, not Em as the chord shapes would indicate

Incidentally, the kid in the video will make a truly annoying, but YouTube worthy, singer-songwriter one day...

Underneath the tab, one of our members suggests this, "Sounds a bit better to me if you take your first finger off fret 1 for C".

That changes the chord to Cmaj7. I tried it, and sure why not. Then the C chord would be"

e-1___O
B-2___O
G-3___O
D-4___2
A-4___3
E-6___x
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky

Er, isn't that x5423x? - Dmajor or x5422x, - Dmaj7? X5433x sounds like jazz.
G-3 = "2" Fixed.

Off topic but, the "bold" function is anemic, to the point of being ineffective.
thanks Captaincranky , a question , It is the first time I read "triplet", as is done? It is down up three times?
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky

Flashing neon, with noises, would do it. FWIW, I find that hard to play - short fingers, but I suppose it would come with practice, like most things.
So ignore the pinky, and play the A-5 open. Nobody said the bass note had to be a D. The A (5th) works. I think "Amazing Grace" & "To Anachreon in Heaven", have chordal melodies which start below the root.

I use that shape to resolve D to G and it gives me the major 7th to keep me on key. "White Rabbit", resolves upward like that, "feed your (D/F#), head" (G tonic).

Quote by lepuke1
thanks Captaincranky , a question , It is the first time I read "triplet", as is done? It is down up three times?

Well, a triplet simply signifies there are a group of 3 notes or chords on any given beat. (It can also cover more than one beat).

There aren't any fixed rules on how to strum one. It could be D,U,D_U,D,U_ etc Or, D,D,D_D,D,D , Metal most likely. Even D,U,D_D,U,D, or the reverse.

In the case of that song, it's the first example. He's just "scrubbing" up and down, and altering the timing. Bear in mind that the triplet is a musical metering concept, not a fixed strumming pattern.
Captaincranky

I often use the x04232 version, with an index barre on the first three strings, but the version under discussion reminded me of something Tommy Tedesco wrote in his Guitar Player column. - "Use the middle four strings as the default chord option". He wrote all kinds of interesting stuff about life as a studio player, but that is the only one I remember and adopted where I could. His argument was basically "not too high, not too low".
Tony Done The x5423x version, is the only possible voicing of that chord shape, (guitar, standard tuning), which portrays the chord in ascending scalar accuracy: 1,3,5,1 (8va). OTOH, my guitar teacher taught me, "if you're going to strum, stay off the 2 highest strings". Who knew, way back in 1960-something, those were pretty much what would come to be called "power chords"

In any case, the 05423x to 05422x version comes in handy, (of all places), to play Springsteen's, "Born to Run" (I had to read it off the sheet music to believe it. Using those shapes, E, Emaj7, A (open), B (2nd fret), or, I, Imaj7, IV, V, if you prefer. (You can tell I've spent too much time in, "Musician Talk").

I just threw that chord in anyway, due to the fact the kid in the video was using it, and it does sound different from D open.

I you want a truly ugly for of moveable "C", (which that D is), try a grand barre, then with the 3 fingers you have left, just hold a C pen chord. (I know you have 4 left, but if you can get the pinky into play with that mess, you're a way better man than me.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 28, 2016,