Hello all,

I have a Fender Mustang I V2 and am wondering if a wah pedal would work fine with it and not sound like utter arsewash? I'm looking to get a wah pedal (likely a Cry Baby) but want to know it will work with my amp before purchasing.

The amp already has a wah effect built in but it doesn't sound very good and wah-sound itself changes depending on how hard you strum/pluck the strings, not easy to get the hang of.

Any feedback is appreciated.
can you use a wah with a modeler?

yes

will it make the mustang sound better?

no

it will sound like a mustang with a wah run through it. i have no idea if you'd find that acceptable. i would try it out at a store if that is possible to make sure it has the sound you desire.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I use a Cry Baby with a Super Champ which has a modeling front end. The wah works fine, although it does sound different than through my all tube Fender and Mesa amps.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
When you consider that a wah pedal is really just a fancy foot-controlled tone knob, the answer is clear: of course it will work, for the same reason the tone control works on your guitar. However, some amps respond differently to pedal inputs vs. straight guitar input, mainly due to impedance and signal level differences, so you really have to try out the combination you're thinking of to hear if you'll like it. I would expect you to have good results, but my calling a wah pedal a glorified tone control is an oversimplification. Wah pedals all sound different; that's why there are so many of them.
it will be fine. wah tends to be one of the pedals that works best with modeling amps and will likely sound better than the built in effect.
Quote by kgwagner1
When you consider that a wah pedal is really just a fancy foot-controlled tone knob, the answer is clear: of course it will work, for the same reason the tone control works on your guitar.

A wah pedal run into a modeling amp is the same as a wah pedal run into any other amp. It will sound fine.

Fine point; a wah pedal isn't really like the tone knob on a guitar, which is usually just a passive treble rolloff. A wah pedal is more of an active sweepable mids boost.
Quote by dspellman
A wah pedal run into a modeling amp is the same as a wah pedal run into any other amp. It will sound fine.

Fine point; a wah pedal isn't really like the tone knob on a guitar, which is usually just a passive treble rolloff. A wah pedal is more of an active sweepable mids boost.
The "correct" term is a band pass, right? Which is not necessarily limited to mids but with a guitar mids will stick out.
Quote by Will Lane
The "correct" term is a band pass, right? Which is not necessarily limited to mids but with a guitar mids will stick out.

I'm thinking that in this case most of the other frequencies are not attenuated (as they would be in a band pass) but instead specific frequencies are boosted. A band pass wouldn't require a battery, probably. It would just be done with an RLC circuit.