UPDATE: I purchased the guitar for $370.

I found a mahogany RG421CW on sale at my local store. I'm looking to upgrade from my current cheap guitar and I tried about 6 guitars and the only one that really stood out for me was the RG421CW. It felt light when compared to my B.C. Rich Warlock, sounded heavy and full, had pretty good stock pickups that'll work for me until I've got the extra cash to get SDs put in, and the neck was just the right thickness.

The originally price was $550 and the sale price is $400. Any suggestions, comments, or recommendations?

The tag reads:
"RG421 CW
Clark Walnut top on a Mahogany Body
The tone is full and warm with great sustain
Wizard 3 Maple Neck
Jumbo neck
25.5" scale
Ibanez Quantum Pickups."
Last edited by RobertasACDC at Oct 29, 2016,
Looks like they go for 300 on guitarcenter. Looks nice and has unlimited playability, it says.
geo-rage The tag on it says
"RG421 CW
Clark Walnut top on a Mahogany Body
The tone is full and warm with great sustain
Wizard 3 Maple Neck
Jumbo neck
25.5" scale
Ibanez Quantum Pickups."

This looks like it but the materials aren't the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-B00SKJHKM4-RG421CW-Electric-Guitar/dp/B00SKJHKM4

I haven't noticed anything bad about it when I played it at the shop but I'm sure that there's a catch. That's just how life is.
its overpriced.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
its overpriced.

I agree.
I bought an Ibanez RG421-WK for 245 euros(vat included) 6 months ago, it doesn't have a walnut cap like the cw though. It's a good guitar but $400 should be able to get you something better.
Is VAT already included in the price of the guitar?
If it isn't, the guitar isn't even actually in sale. That's just the standard price of the guitar.
trashedlostfdup I agree that the price is a bit high but they do have a layaway option. I could pay it off at a rate of $16.66 a month for two years and that would be insignificant. I'll look around and see if there are better options but if not, I may have to go with it. My current guitar is an awful show off guitar from my "hey look at my guitar" period. I looked around and checked out many guitars but they just didn't sound right. I'm looking for a Dot Your Eyes (by 5FDP) sound.
juvion I'm looking for a Dot Your Eyes (by 5FDP) type sound. If you've got any suggestions within the $400-$600 range, I'm willing to try it.

I'm not a professional or a performer. I only do it for entertainment.
The amp you are using will have more significance than your guitar. What guitar do you currently have? What amp?
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion I'm looking for a Dot Your Eyes (by 5FDP) type sound. If you've got any suggestions within the $400-$600 range, I'm willing to try it.

I'm not a professional or a performer. I only do it for entertainment.

I'm not a huge 5FDP fan but for low tunings in that price range, I'd probably go for Ibanez, or ESP LTD. Most of the tone will depend on the amp though.
I think that 5FDP use Explorer shaped guitars.
Which shapes do you like ? Only Superstrats or maybe also Les Paul style singlecuts, Explorers or Flying V's ?
bobafettacheese I'm currently using a $250 B.C. Rich Warlock guitar and a Fender Mustang 1 Amp. I only use half of the amp's volume so it handles what I need it to handle. It's a modeling amp.
juvion I'm currently using a childish show-off guitar from 3 years ago (B.C. Rich Warlock). The shape of the guitar really doesn't matter to me, the sound does. I don't care if it's a V, a Super Strat, Les Paul Style, etc...
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion I'm currently using a childish show-off guitar from 3 years ago (B.C. Rich Warlock). The shape of the guitar really doesn't matter to me, the sound does. I don't care if it's a V, a Super Strat, Les Paul Style, etc...

I have the same amp.
A new guitar won't improve your tone drastically but I guess that you can still buy a new amp later.
I'm a huge fan of singlecuts, so I can only really recommend some of them.
For $600 you could get a used LTD EC-1000.
That guitar is a beast. There are versions with EMG's and versions with Seymour Duncans.
If you prefer to spend less (or buy new) you could choose a LTD EC-401. It is very similar to the EC-1000 but has some hardware downgrades and other finishes. I think that the pickups are the same EMG's though.
You could also go for an Epiphone Matt Heafy signature guitar. It's $679 new but if you can find a used one, it'll be in your budget. Matt Heafy himself uses the exact same guitar for his gigs. (Lead guitarist from Trivium)
There's also the Epiphone Prophecy line.
It has EMG's and is tailored towards Metal.
Now, if you want a guitar with passive pickups that is still good for metal but a bit less aggressive, you could also go for a PRS SE Custom 24, Custom 22 or Standard 24. Those have a double cutaways and prices vary a lot, but I've seen new custom 24's for 600 dollars and the other ones should definitely be in your price range.
I played all of them btw. and liked them a lot. Your opinion may differ though.
Last edited by juvion at Oct 28, 2016,
juvion It's partially tone and partially comfort. My current guitar weights as much as a cinder block, has trash pickups, is made of agathic, has a neck on the fatter end, and saying that you play a B.C. Rich Warlock makes you look like a middle schooler showing off their "cool" guitar.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion It's partially tone and partially comfort. My current guitar weights as much as a cinder block, has trash pickups, is made of agathic, has a neck on the fatter end, and saying that you play a B.C. Rich Warlock makes you look like a middle schooler showing off their "cool" guitar.

Haha that's fine, most people bond with their guitars a lot more than with their amp.
If a new purchase makes you happy and pick up the guitar even more often, that's all the reason you need.
juvion I'm considering upgrading to Marshall Mustang IV in the future (2017?). What do you think? I played it in the shop (it was connected to the RG421CW) and it sounded nice and chunky even though I was only in Drop D and I was using standard strings.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion I'm considering upgrading to Marshall Mustang IV in the future (2017?). What do you think? I played it in the shop (it was connected to the RG421CW) and it sounded nice and chunky even though I was only in Drop D and I was using standard strings.

Are you sure that it's a Marshall ? The only Mustang IV I know, is a Fender Mustang IV.
Can't find a Marshall Mustang on the internet either.
If you mean the Fender one, I wouldn't buy it.
It does have a lot of options for tones but if you want a real upgrade and plan to wait with it anyways, I'd recommend to get a tube amp and some pedals.
juvion It's a Fender. I often make the mistake of calling it a Marshall. All I really do is crank up the bass, crank up the gain, and put the treble at 4. My amp budget is $400. I don't play too loud, I just want the sound. I don't use the full range of modeling capabilities because I use one trademark sound.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion Can you recommend a good amp in that range?

Not really, sorry. :/ I'm still using my Fender Mustang I and didn't play a lot of amps.
Those that I have played, are either way above or way below $400. :/
Someone else may be able to give you a satisfying answer though.
juvion Thanks for the help. Have you found a solution for the irritating buzz that the amp makes when idling with the gain up?
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion Thanks for the help. Have you found a solution for the irritating buzz that the amp makes when idling with the gain up?

Buzz ? I didn't get any buzz with my Ibanez RG421 and the Mustang I, even with maxed out Gain.
There are some background noises, when my cousin plays with my amp and uses the singlecoils on her fat strat, but that's just the nature of singlecoils.
Your guitar has humbuckers, so that shouldn't be an issue.. Akward.
Which Master volume are you playing on ? I didn't go higher than 4 yet, because my neighbours would have killed me then haha.
juvion I use the red Metal 2000 option at 4-6 master volume. It may just be my guitar. It constantly picks up unnecessary noise.

Anyway, how's your RG421? I can't purchase a Gibson Explorer because they're incredibly expensive and my shop just doesn't have them. I tried a Jackson Kelly but I couldn't find anything special about it and it just didn't sound like I want it to. I also played a few Ibanez RGs but the RG421CW is the only one that had the sound I was looking for (and a nice look too). I also played a Gibson Flying V but it wasn't impressive in any way. It's a shame that UG doesn't allow the posting of any actually useful files because I'd post photos of the guitar and shop.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion I use the red Metal 2000 option at 4-6 master volume. It may just be my guitar. It constantly picks up unnecessary noise.

Anyway, how's your RG421? I can't purchase a Gibson Explorer because they're incredibly expensive and my shop just doesn't have them. I tried a Jackson Kelly but I couldn't find anything special about it and it just didn't sound like I want it to. I also played a few Ibanez RGs but the RG421CW is the only one that had the sound I was looking for (and a nice look too). I also played a Gibson Flying V but it wasn't impressive in any way. It's a shame that UG doesn't allow the posting of any actually useful files because I'd post photos of the guitar and shop.

You can post pictures if you use a photo hoster. =)
Here's a picture of my RG421-WK:

It does look very plain but I love the feel of the neck and the feel of the body.
I don't like the neck pickup that much, but the bridge pickup sounds pretty good.
It's my first guitar and when I bought it, I loved the looks.
Now it looks a bit too plain for me and I fell in love with Les Paul shapes but I still love the playability of my RG.
It's probably just because I got used to it, but it's hard to find a guitar that feels as comfortable as my RG.
The thin neck and light weight are a blessing for me because I'm short but my next guitar will be a completely different beast.
Probably an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute+.
Last edited by juvion at Oct 28, 2016,
juvion Thanks for the photo. There's nothing wrong with it being plain. I'd rather spend money on performance than looks. I liked the RG421CW's sound and weight but I've been hearing that $400 is too much to pay.
Sounds like 400 is the regular price. I did miss the cw at first. That walnut top looks nice.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion Thanks for the photo. There's nothing wrong with it being plain. I'd rather spend money on performance than looks. I liked the RG421CW's sound and weight but I've been hearing that $400 is too much to pay.

It isn't too much, it's just not discounted.
Like geo-rage said, that's the regular price.
juvion $550 is a crazy price but $400 seems just right. Since they're getting new equipment soon, they're getting rid of the old equipment. I'm thinking about talking them down to $350 or $375 and getting it on layaway. I've been going there to play gear for 3 weekends in a row anyway.

I'll worry about an amp later. I can pick up a nice guitar first.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion Can you recommend a good amp in that range?

Tech21 TM30 or TM60 if you can find it for that price. They sound amazing, all analog modeling amp.

If you like the RG421CW, go for it. I find the Ibanez pickups generally useless and swap them as soon as I get an Ibanez, plus the late Indonesian craftmanship leaves a lot to be desired, I returned 3 bass guitars for various issues ( badly crowned frets, bad paint job, bad neck joints) from them and swapped for Sterling (Music Man cheapie).

No offense, but that brown color reminds me of what you'd find in a septic tank or in the toilet of a Mexican restaurant.
diabolical Thanks for the suggestions! The toilet bowl statement was also rather helpful because I'd hear it eventually anyway. The RG421CW is actually red and I've played it 3 weekends in a row. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Anyway, I just picked up the guitar and a pack of Dunlop Heavy Core strings after playing it again at the shop. I'm satisfied with the purchase. Expectations and what is considered "good" is subjective, friend.
juvion I talked him down to $370 and got a free cable and string change with it. I'm satisfied with the purchase.
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion I talked him down to $370 and got a free cable and string change with it. I'm satisfied with the purchase.

That's awesome! Show us some pics then, that's your most important duty on a new guitar day !
Have fun with it and welcome to the Ibanez RG Club. \m/
juvion Thanks for the welcome. I'll have to lower the quality of the images before I upload them (UG size limits).
Quote by RobertasACDC
juvion After 8 compression attempts I've finally uploaded a picture.

where?

congrats again!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup On my account. I clicked to add a new instrument and added a picture. You'll probably have to go on my profile to view it. You've been on UG for longer than I.
Quote by RobertasACDC
trashedlostfdup On my account. I clicked to add a new instrument and added a picture. You'll probably have to go on my profile to view it. You've been on UG for longer than I.

I will check it out.

FYI the best way to post a picture is to use photobucket and use the img tags.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7