Hey all,

I ordered a new Jackson soloist last week and set it up to my liking. The guitar plays fantastically and feels really good.

The main issue is that there seems to be a high fret around 14-15 as well as 10 that completely kills the the fret before it. I've confirmed that there's enough relief on the neck and that the action isn't too too low.

I've done some googling and found that indo Jackson's sometimes have frets that pop out a little. This doesn't appear to be the case with this particular fret.

My main question is should I send it back and request another? Are high frets common on brand new guitars? This is my first brand new guitar in many years.

I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to send it back and potentially have the same issue with the replacement or if I should just suck it up and pay to have the frets leveled.

My gut is telling me to send it back but I figured I'd ask here to see if anybody else has experienced anything like this with a brand new guitar,

Thanks in advance for any input
what specific model?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It's an SLX Soloist. As for taking it to a tech, I guess I was under the impression that the frets at the very least would be playable.
Personally I would send it back. The guitar won't be perfect but paying for a fret leveling on a brand new guitar is not something I generally set aside funds for. Chances are you just got a dud. I doubt this will be a consistent issue.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Marshall JVM210 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
While it is the norm for a new guitar to need a good set up, especially an import that has traveled across varying climates, but personally if I am buying new I won't accept anything more than a poor set up, a bad fret or short in the electronics, noticable finish flaws etc. is unacceptable in a new guitar IMO unless it is a serious cheapo in which case you get what you pay for.

Send it back if the replacement is messed up send it back too until you get one you are happy with. Some minor fretwork needing done is acceptable for used but not for new.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 31, 2016,
Thanks for the replies guys. All great points. I'll likely be sending this back. Hopefully the next one won't be so bad. Besides that flaw this guitar rocks!
yeah send it back

or another option is you could price the cost of the repair and then (before getting the repair) mention it to the retailer and ask if they'd pay for it. that's only if the rest of the guitar is great, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.