I just cleared out most of my equipment due to a move and wanting to start fresh. I want a guitar that can get tones of David Gilmour, Steven Wilson, and doom/stoner metal. I'm up for just about any guitar, but my budget is pretty small, $500 or less. I mostly play progressive, rock, metal genre's and dabble with jazz here and there. Thanks for any replies
How about a Fender HSS mexican strat? It'll be good quality and sound good for all those genres. The stock bridge pickup may not be enough for more aggressive metal tones, but for like Iron Maiden tones it is enough. Stuff like Slayer or may require a pickup change in the bridge.

I must say I personally lean toward classic guitar profiles; something more like a used S-series Ibanez may be neat and cover that territory too - it just won't achieve the strat single coil tones like Gilmour is known for
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Last edited by 21GunSalute at Oct 28, 2016,
Quote by 21GunSalute
How about a Fender HSS mexican strat? It'll be good quality and sound good for all those genres. The stock bridge pickup may not be enough for more aggressive metal tones, but for like Iron Maiden tones it is enough. Stuff like Slayer or may require a pickup change in the bridge.

I must say I personally lean toward classic guitar profiles; something more like a used S-series Ibanez may be neat and cover that territory too - it just won't achieve the strat single coil tones like Gilmour is known for
I'm not trying to set the world on fire, I'm just trying to keep my nuts warm.