Trying to decide if I should get a used peavey valve king 100 or a peavey valve king 20 mh used or new I'm not sure - because those are around my budget. Anybody know what the good or bad things about either may be?

Also are there are big things I should know about the cab I get - like the wattage or the kind of speakers?

FYI I play hard rock and metal
PRS?
Metallica ⚡️
Gigging musician? Just playing at home? Need to be louder than a drum kit or no?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ieholmquist
I hope I'll be gigging in the near future

IMHO one should always have at least one fullsized head. You never know when you'll need it. Then save up some money and buy a mini head, cause God knows lugging around a fullsized w/ a 412 is a PITA. But do your research, many mini amps don't quite meet most expectations.

Out of all the gear I currently have or have had, My main rigs are 6505+ w/ XXX 412 and a Randall RD45h w/ RD212-V30. They're used depending not only what sound I want that night (though very similar) but really theyre for what I feel like carrying that night or the size of the gig.
Quote by ieholmquist
Trying to decide if I should get a used peavey valve king 100 or a peavey valve king 20 mh used or new I'm not sure - because those are around my budget. Anybody know what the good or bad things about either may be?

Also are there are big things I should know about the cab I get - like the wattage or the kind of speakers?

FYI I play hard rock and metal
If you are going to be gigging unmic'd, get the 100. As far as the cab goes, if you feel like lugging a 4x12 around that is cool, but you may be satisfied with a 2x12. The speaker cabinet should be able to handle the wattage output by the amp when both are at the same impedance. I think the Valveking has an 8 ohm or 16 ohm selector, but both will put out 100w. So get a cabinet rated for 8 or 16 ohms, that can handle at least 100w. It is smart practice to have the cabinet handle higher wattage than what the amp can put out, so 120w+ rating would be good. A common suggestion for speakers is the Vintage 30, 2 of those (in a 2x12) would get you 120w power handling. Just match impedance to your head and you are set.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 29, 2016,
^ yeah if you want to go with a 2x12 you'll have to look at higher wattage speakers- not a major problem since quite a few of the industry standard speakers (like the v30) are high enough wattage. but worth bearing in mind all the same.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Xander_X I was also looking at the Randall rd45, how is it for metal and the like?
PRS?
Metallica ⚡️
Xander_X if I got the 100 watt head do u think I could still play it in my house without my neighbors wanting to cut my head off?
PRS?
Metallica ⚡️
Quote by ieholmquist
Xander_X if I got the 100 watt head do u think I could still play it in my house without my neighbors wanting to cut my head off?

you are fine. if you do go the 100w head route, there are some essentials you will need to prosper however
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ieholmquist

The Valveking is wattage adjustable. Can't remember if the V1 is but I know the V2 is. I play my 6505+ all day long with the post gain on 1. It's pretty loud but I don't get any complaints. Sure it sounds better the more post it gets, but still sound pretty decent at 1
Last edited by Xander_X at Oct 29, 2016,
Define what you mean by "metal". There may be better alternatives to the ValveKing.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by metalmingee
Define what you mean by "metal". There may be better alternatives to the ValveKing.
Quote by ieholmquist

I agree. If it's "metal" you're after, I doubt the walking is going to get you where you want without modding it, which while worth it, can cost a great deal of money.

Xander_X
I was also looking at the Randall rd45, how is it for metal and the like?

The Randall amps are BRED for metal. I would put the Diavlo series in like with what the 6505 series does. Then they just get more brutal from their - Thrasher, Kirk Hamett model, Scott Ian model, Satan, etc
Quote by ieholmquist
Xander_X then would the 6505 be better for metal? There's also a 6505 mh...?

The 5150/6505 series are excellent metal amps. I really love my 6505+, especially with my tube mix. However, there are other amps out there that even better but have much higher price tag - Bogner Uberschall, Marshall Jubilee 2555x, Randall Thrasher, Randall KH103 .... Just a few off the top of my head that I really like but haven't bit the $1600 - $3000 bullet on any of them yet. I've picked up all the of my 5150 / 6505 for under $600

I play a lot of Metallica with the 6505+. My tube setup has also brightened up the naturally dark amp up a bit. I would stay away from the MH. At only 20 watts you may run into issues at some point, plus they have a well known overheating issue that I'm not aware if Peavey had fixed it yet or not. Lastly, you can pick up a Randall RD45h for about the same price and you'll be happier with it.
Last edited by Xander_X at Oct 30, 2016,
To add to this, you're also getting into deep water here as the question your are starting to form is "what is the best amp for metal" to which there really isn't an answer for. There are so many good metal amps, currently produced, and out of production. There are also so many variables to EACH amp, and opinions. My suggestion, and I'd bet I speak for the majority here, you really have to go out and try different amps to get your sound. I prefer to get all the gain I need from my amp w/o anything in front of it, so there are many I eliminate right from the bat that others love (JCM800 in example).

The issues you're going to run into are finding dealers for all the amps you want to try, finding them in stock, trying them with a similar guitar to your favorite (unless you bring it with you), and different cabs will obviously give different tone. But you should get a decent feel for an amp as long as it's played with a quality guitar and quality cab. I'm not a big fan of Guitar Center, but I do like that I can buy something from them that I'm interested in, take it home, and if I don't like it, I can bring it back.
Quote by ieholmquist
metalmingee metal as in Metallica pantera Anthrax and the like.

with an overdrive in front the VK can get those tones however the 6505 series is much better for those types of sounds. I use a VK for practice and do play some Metallica on occasion you do have to push it a bit so it's not ideal. although Peavey often advertises the VK as being a metal amp it really isn't (past 70s-early 80s metal) with an overdrive in front you can get more metal tones but again there are other amps that work much better. the VK is great for blues and classic rock type stuff
The Valveking is an awesome amp if you ever want to get into modding. You can pick them up cheap, sound good and are quality out of the box.

Again, great base for a moder looking to build their own metal amp.