Ok so after a month of bugging people on threads about possible new guitar options I can't bring myself to buy a guitar for over a thousand dollars that isn't going to be perfect for me, so I'm probably going to pinch pennies and have ran build me a custom. The quote I received was for 3900 USD, which for placed options, trust me, is a lot of bang for the buck.

I wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience in dealing with or heard anything about ran guitars. I was also going to see if, for a heavy tone, a swamp ash body and mahogany neck combination would work well with a Seymour Duncan sentinent and nazgul combination.
Hopefully somebody can help but I dont think a lot of guys have gone the RAN route here. There was a guy around here a long time ago that had one done. He was pretty happy with it and quality wise they look really solid.

I still remember when they where a big thing years ago and I was really considering getting a KL style explorer from them but they hiked their prices up considerably and what I wanted was priced out of my budget.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R yeah I seen some posts floating but mostly older, so was hoping to find more recent. The price is quite nice for a full custom, considering I didn't aim cheap, down to a special order sustainac system, and green led side inlays..... ever since muy blackjack atx I have preferred no inlays in the neck.... don't know why...i think it's the beauty of the ebony alone
I haven't seen many posts by RAN owners, but those I have seen have been uniformly positive.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
dannyalcatraz I'm running into the same thing but everything I found hasn't been very recent. If you found anything more recent I'd be interested in checking it out. I'm personally looking into a demon build. I love the aggressive look but love that it's got the curve tat I could sit down and comfortably play if I'm somewhere just relaxing and having a drink, or something of that nature
I very much understand the interest in a custom-built guitar that suits you, and I've had several done.

There are a few cautions, however, and these aren't intended as negatives.

You're not buying a custom guitar. You're buying a semi-custom.
You have a strictly limited set of body styles and a strictly limited set of construction parameters.
ESP will build you a custom guitar. RAN will not. As long as you understand the difference.

Make sure you know *exactly* what you want and why.
You should have touched and felt and heard (in person, not via YouTube) every single piece of the planned guitar on some other guitar at some point and fallen in love with it. Nothing like having, say, a Flying V built and finding out that it's just annoying to have to sit a certain way to play it. Nothing like paying $4K for a multi-scale just to find out you don't like playing multiscale guitars.
If you're putting together a set of parameters based largely on what you've seen or heard on the intertoobs, stop now.
If you're asking questions such as "will a swamp ash body and mahogany neck work well with a Sentient and a Nazgul for heavy tone," you're not ready to toss $4K at a semi-custom build. You're doing what I call "pie in the sky-ing." Stop now. Keep thinking about it, but don't be buying.

Buy custom guitar woods NOT because of the "toan" they'll give you, but because they're pretty. Trust me.
There are more woods out there than the standard manufacturers' choices. Swamp Ash? Mahogany? Pedestrian. Why bother? What about:
Amboyna Burl
Black Heart Sassafras
Black Walnut
Blue Gum Burl
Claro Walnut
Cocobolo
Ebony
Figured Maples (Flame, Quilt, Birdseye and Burl)
Flame Sycamore
Mac Ebony
Maracapra
Marbled Mountain Ash
Masur Birch
Native Walnut
Redwood (Flame and Burl)
Rosewood
Tasmanian Blackwood
Tasmanian Myrtle
Thuya Burl
Wenge
Ziracote
How many of these have you considered? These are just a few copy-pasted from the website of one Alan Cringean, who builds custom basses (and a few guitars). It is a true custom shop and his basses are works of art and the electronics are a marvel and are also often hand- or custom-done, not stock. Go look at some of the possibilities: www.acguitars.co.uk/ Note, I'm not suggesting you buy from him, but you want to look at not only the woods, but what he does with them (some are dyed, some are enhanced, but all are spectacular).

I mentioned that I've done customs. I've made "mistakes" along the way. The good news is that the accidents worked for me rather than against. In one case, while ordering a semi-custom, I was merrily ticking off boxes ("well, sure, I guess I want that..") and in one case ticked off a one-piece body right after ticking off neck-through construction. Most of the latter involves a couple of body sides being glued onto a central neck spine. So much for a one-piece body. But the shop got clever and built a channel into the one-piece body and simply laid the neck into that. Sort of more an "extremely long tenon" that came within about an inch of the bottom of the guitar. It worked great, but looking back, it could have been disastrous.

Understand that you're going to lose 1/3 to 1/2 of the value you've spent on that guitar as soon as it walks across your threshold. Precisely because it's a customized guitar done to YOUR spec and because someone else buying a guitar is unlikely to appreciate what you do. If you do NOT know what you're doing and decide that what you ordered wasn't exactly what you really wanted (or down the line, it's gotten "outdated"), selling it on will be an unpleasant surprise.

It sounds like you're currently suffering from analysis paralysis. It may be that what you *should* do is buy a production guitar for well under $1K that works pretty well for you, and work with that for a while. Spend some money on a PLEK setup, try out a different set of pickups, etc. Your selling-on depreciation will be much more manageable and you'll have learned a lot about your preferences in the meantime.
For made in Poland it is a bit high I think. I was interested a few years ago, had one priced and went with Jackson Soloist Japan @ $1000 (the highest end Japanese model before the factory there closed), which still came about $1000-$1500 cheaper than the same Ran. Only regret is not having original FR but I can swap it for $300 and still will be better off on resale value.

Vader used Ran at the time (maybe still do), not sure if they still do. I think that price for a Polish guitar is a bit much, especially if you have some issues and you're in the USA and drop that kind of cash. Lets just say that things are a bit Soviet block still in that part of the world...

Also the wood selection, etc. was too basic for this price. At €4000 I want something else than alder...I'd probably want mahogany.

Maybe look at Vigier, Jackson USA custom shop can probably fit your order at around $4000 and have a great reputation, a friend actually walked out with an amazing guitar with custom art from there at exactly $4000...USA Jackson Soloist, EMG pickups, original FR, neck through, custom paint jobs, sharkfin inlays...amazing instrument.

I think Carvin (Kiesel), Vigier, RicoJr can also build you something really great for that price.

My 2c.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I haven't seen many posts by RAN owners, but those I have seen have been uniformly positive.

Rare to find someone with a new custom guitar complaining off the bat.
It happens, of course, but...
Very rare to find someone saying, "Oh, crap, I really bollixed this one."
diabolical I appreciate the advice, and I do plan to do more research. Jackson is on that list, as I typically stay Jackson and schecter exclusive. I've researched heavily into woods and am going to continue to research.....i know I like the full mahogany on the blackjack atx I have and the maple and alder on the Jackson I have. I'm not too familiar on the pickups but have been hearing allot of good about the combination..... my biggest issue is I can't seem to find a guitar specced out to where I wanted and at closest I can find I'm still spending an arm and a leg. The reason for the price on this model is really a lot of added options, some unnecessary and a little expensive, but if I do customize I figure I want to fit my tastes as much as possible.

I will definitely research more, as I have plenty of time. If anyone has more suggestions I'm all ears. I'm looking to customize a good guitar for a metal style and look
^ (dspellman) haha yeah (and hey with the flying v thing were you talkign about me? To be fair, though, I did know that going in and did it anyway )

and your posts are pretty much bang on regarding the custom thing.

I could be wrong but i have this vague feeling that at some point there actually *were* quite a few negative things about Rans for a while there- which pretty much coincided with their waning popularity (on UG anyway). But I could be completely wrong, this is a good while ago now.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

There's this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117093

@kramer242 - you don't like ESP, Caparison, Jackson and Charvel USA as they come stock? I rarely find I need anything more...The only thing with me is that I like natural wood neck, say like the Godin LP (natural unfinished mahogany):
https://reverb.com/item/104829-godin-lg-p90-natural
I just don't want it on my metal guitars, although I think that with the painted necks a lot of manufacturers are hiding multiple composite wood pieces, back in the good old days I think a 2 cut was the standard but now, who knows?

I think it depends on the caliber of musician you are. If you think about it, classical instrument guys (say violin players) would spend about $20,000 on an instrument and play only that instrument unless it is worked on. Guitar for some reason is not taken as that kind of instrument.
diabolical electrics maybe not, but acoustics? The top players are definitely willing to shell out that kind of dough. Ernest Somogyi guitars- which I've seen & heard played by California Guitar Trio- start at $20k for a no-frills model. A Kevin Ryan Nightengale will set you back &40k.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369

alhaq369
diabolical don't get me wrong I like allot of guitars.... loved Jackson for the bang and build quality for buck.... it's why I always chose them over ibby, despite liking them too. My thing is I'm switching to all 7 strings at this point....i do have a dk2s in need of some repairs and an eerie dess model. I got the blackjack atx c7 and fell in love.... my thing now is I can't find a guitar that fits everything I want..... sure i can get a few guitars and have everything I want, but it'd cost similar just to go ahead and customize..... I'm not too worried afoot resale, as I have other equipment i can dump and an excellent secure job..... the closest thing I've come is the schecter Keith merrow km frs
My biggest problem so far looking into Jackson USA is finding an online order form, except for on axe palace where the starting price notoriously raises 1000 dollars for base price compared to other sites....i will also check esp
a bit long in the tooth but still a goodie

Quote by kramer242
My biggest problem so far looking into Jackson USA is finding an online order form, except for on axe palace where the starting price notoriously raises 1000 dollars for base price compared to other sites....i will also check esp

I think you'll just have to CALL the custom shop. Email the Jackson webmaster, if you can't find the contact #.

Personally, I've always wanted to have a white RR USA with reverse headstock, as to me that was one of the rad shapes and great live guitar. They want too much for such a small guitar though...still classic Megadeth, Kreator, even Metallica have made that image iconic. The V shape is probably the most comfortable shape to play live but hell to play sitting down.

I think Caparison also opened a custom shop in the USA.
http://www.caparisonguitars.com/en

I've also played great ESP high end guitars, a friend collects all George Lynch models, I always enjoy visiting his place.
Quote by diabolical
a bit long in the tooth but still a goodie

I think you'll just have to CALL the custom shop. Email the Jackson webmaster, if you can't find the contact #.

Personally, I've always wanted to have a white RR USA with reverse headstock, as to me that was one of the rad shapes and great live guitar. They want too much for such a small guitar though...still classic Megadeth, Kreator, even Metallica have made that image iconic. The V shape is probably the most comfortable shape to play live but hell to play sitting down.

I think Caparison also opened a custom shop in the USA.
http://www.caparisonguitars.com/en

I've also played great ESP high end guitars, a friend collects all George Lynch models, I always enjoy visiting his place.

Believe me, I've had Vs, only way to play it, if you don't want to crunch your juevos, is maybe one of these round bar stools. I've tracked a few albums with a V and what a pain it was on lead overdub. Thankfully back in those days I used to do about 2-3 takes and was done as I've rehearsed everything beforehand.
Well I seen the forms on Jackson's websites tip fill out and email but nothing for a 7 string so I'll probably have tip fill that in special options
kramer242 play a lot more guitars before you do anything.

I agree with Spellman, choose pretty woods.

If you are going to drop the cash know how every dimension feels to you and why you want it that way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by kramer242
I was also going to see if, for a heavy tone, a swamp ash body and mahogany neck combination would work well with a Seymour Duncan sentinent and nazgul combination.

They are a pretty powerful combination that almost take the wood out of the equation. I think it would be a great wood combo for this set.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Forget about ran guitars. I'll happily sell you my MIM Strat for only $2,500. That leaves you $1,400!
Quote by diabolical
^ you're right, those are the players that usually graduate with Masters Degree in Music, probably the only guitarists that you can call musicians

well if they're paying $40k for a guitar they didn't get a masters degree in economics, that's for sure.

(that's pretty much lobbed up for anyone to do a follow-up joke at the expense of economics )
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I'm going to look up mensinger..... wasn't sure about the woods because it seems to be an age old question whether it matters or not
Fisheth24 is there a site with a custom order form for mensinger or a link for someone to reach.... the only thing I can figure out from their site is when translated top usd the process are nice and their is definitely some nice stuff..... unfortunately my phone can't translate anything other than the home page
Quote by kramer242
Fisheth24 is there a site with a custom order form for mensinger or a link for someone to reach.... the only thing I can figure out from their site is when translated top usd the process are nice and their is definitely some nice stuff..... unfortunately my phone can't translate anything other than the home page

Yeah, shoot Adrian an email, his English might not be the best, but he's really superb to work with, his email is (He speaks German and I would assume Polish too) :info@public-peace.de
Fisheth24 felt stupid too, because they were on my th, but going to check out ormsby.... nice stuff.... Australian company.... price start at a little bellow 800.... granted that will jump, but still an excellent starting point