Been starting to gig more lately and think I should upgrade my live sound.
Was looking at some used AC30s but wasn't sure what else is in the market.
I play a Gibson Les Paul w/ Burstbuckers, occasionally a tele/strat and some hollow-bodies.
Looking for something that has great cleans and also distorts well, currently play a lot of classic and indie rock.
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks
If you like the jive of the Classic 30, which is roughly a VOX voicing, you will probably like an AC30. However, the Classic 30 is solid enough on its own so arguably one of the modern AC30's (C2, CC2) will not be much an upgrade. If you just need more power, the Classic 50 is there for you as well. If you are micing your amp for PA support though, that does not matter as much. What is your max budget?
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 29, 2016,
Wouldn't mind between 4-600, give or take. I currently don't like how fuzz pedals sound through the Classic 30, maybe a speaker swap then?
An AC 30 is more of a lateral move- it will react differently to your pedals though.
Quote by cratskomodo
Wouldn't mind between 4-600, give or take. I currently don't like how fuzz pedals sound through the Classic 30, maybe a speaker swap then?
Quote by diabolical
Look for an older British AC30, or maybe something a little different, like Mesa Mark IV or Mesa Lone Star.
At 4-600 pounds, euros, or USD, there is not much beyond "lateral" moves as reverb66 said unless the budget is quiet a bit higher. You'll just be dancing around the same "tiers" of equipment compared to the Classic 30. I would say a speaker swap would be the most ideal aside from buying a new amp, but I am not sure what to suggest there.
mesa f30/f50 22cal, 50 cal, express 5:25 5:50, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup

^ This.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Quote by Will Lane
At 4-600 pounds, euros, or USD, there is not much beyond "lateral" moves as reverb66 said unless the budget is quiet a bit higher. You'll just be dancing around the same "tiers" of equipment compared to the Classic 30. I would say a speaker swap would be the most ideal aside from buying a new amp, but I am not sure what to suggest there.

You're right, it would hardly be an upgrade if I didn't expand my price range. Let's open it up to best amp under a grand, used if needbe.

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Will keep an eye out for these.
I would highly recommend a used Mesa if you can find one within budget - I went from a Fender Hot Rod Deville to a Mesa Lonestar Special and it was drastic improvement - my Fender was very similar to the classic 30 ( i rented one while my fender was being serviced). When I was shopping for my upgrade i rented an AC30,, and Deluxe Reverb , a Marshall jcm head and the Mesa blew them all away. I play in a band with a guitarist who has a Mesa Express and Nomad, those also sound great . The cleans are particularly amazing, despite Mesa's reputation for heavy sounds.
It would help to know what exactly you find lacking in your Classic 30's tone. I find the cleans to be pretty phenomenal in mine, and definitely they stay clean even at LOUD settings. Crunch sounds pretty damned good too. Have you tried an EQ in the effects loop? Also, if you're a reverb user, the onboard spring reverb is pretty weak in my opinion. Using a nice reverb pedal in the loop is awesome though. Point is, maybe there are still things you're missing, and you should explore those before jumping ship.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I would add that sometimes certain fuzz pedals don't work with certain amps, but others do.
Quote by reverb66
I would add that sometimes certain fuzz pedals don't work with certain amps, but others do.
And also some people just don't like fuzz at all...
Quote by reverb66
I would highly recommend a used Mesa if you can find one within budget - I went from a Fender Hot Rod Deville to a Mesa Lonestar Special and it was drastic improvement - my Fender was very similar to the classic 30 ( i rented one while my fender was being serviced). When I was shopping for my upgrade i rented an AC30,, and Deluxe Reverb , a Marshall jcm head and the Mesa blew them all away. I play in a band with a guitarist who has a Mesa Express and Nomad, those also sound great . The cleans are particularly amazing, despite Mesa's reputation for heavy sounds.

Have been able to find some F50s in the lower end of my budget and some used Lone Stars in the higher end of my budget. Lonestar worth the money? Or stick with the F50 for more wattage? Also see a Maverick Dual Rectifier in my price range as well, any thoughts on those in comparison?

Quote by KailM
It would help to know what exactly you find lacking in your Classic 30's tone. I find the cleans to be pretty phenomenal in mine, and definitely they stay clean even at LOUD settings. Crunch sounds pretty damned good too. Have you tried an EQ in the effects loop? Also, if you're a reverb user, the onboard spring reverb is pretty weak in my opinion. Using a nice reverb pedal in the loop is awesome though. Point is, maybe there are still things you're missing, and you should explore those before jumping ship.

I have not tried an EQ in the effects loop, or a reverb pedal. I pretty much just go straight in with a wah, tuner, fuzz face, od, and occasionally a delay pedal.
I guess I could definitely try those two along with getting a new speaker before I splurge out on a new-ish amp.

Quote by reverb66

This seems so. I can use my fuzz face with it as long as I keep the fuzz under 12 oclock, but in that case it just sounds more like a distortion pedal which is cool but I also want those fuzzy sounds. Anything past 12 with the volume up on the pedal just gets super muddy in the low end, just sounds muddy and boxy.
Last edited by cratskomodo at Oct 30, 2016,
You really should test other fuzzes - it's the cheapest solution. There are a million out there with more flexible controls than a fuzz face.
+1, also the classic 30 could use a speaker upgrade. I have played many fuzzes through my 30 and they have sounded great.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals