Hey guys I'm new to this forum. I've been researching this amp quite a lot and it's gonna be my first proper amp(never had the money to afford a good one until now sadly) and I'm really excited. The thing is there's so many models and i've informed myself about them, but i'd like some info from someone with personal experience.

The model I'm most likely going to buy is the AC30C2 with the greenback speakers. I'd prefer the CC2 but sadly they're nowhere to be found and apparently unreliable. My question is, is this amp worth the price of around 1000 euros or should I try and find a used CC2 or HW model. Suggestions of other amps are welcome but I'm pretty set on this one.

The guitar I have is the Ibanez Jem 777 DY(yeah I know not the most conventional guitar but i love it although I might replace it sometime in the future with a telecaster or strat).

I like to play a lot of genres of music but I'm mostly fond of old 70s, 80s rock like Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin,... and i like a smooth sound for soloing like Clapton or Knopfler. I do play progressive metal and thrash but that's not my top priority as I know this amp can't really handle that probably.

Thanks for help
If you would like to watch, I did a video on this exact subject: Demoing a lot of the capabilities of the C2 and I also talk about its current standing against the used market. Video is

The short answer is, I do not suggest buying the C2 new. It is a great amp, but not really worth the new price. Find it used. The CC2 is a discontinued model and you can find them used around the same price as the C2 as well. The CC2 had some extra bells and whistles and also the tube rectifier. The tube rectifier is arguably the most troublesome bit about the CC2, the solution as I understand it is just to never use the standby switch.

I normally suggest to find an AC30 with Celestion Blues as they are an integral part of the VOX sound. However, 70's/80's rock screams a bit more Marshall to me. The Greenback speakers will definitely give the AC30 a more Marshall vibe. If you are dead-set on the VOX sound, that is great. But keep in mind those bands you listed are not really known for using VOXes that often. That is not to say a VOX cannot get you in the same boat, as I think they definitely can.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 29, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
If you would like to watch, I did a video on this exact subject: Demoing a lot of the capabilities of the C2 and I also talk about its current standing against the used market. Video is

The short answer is, I do not suggest buying the C2 new. It is a great amp, but not really worth the new price. Find it used. The CC2 is a discontinued model and you can find them used around the same price as the C2 as well. The CC2 had some extra bells and whistles and also the tube rectifier. The tube rectifier is arguably the most troublesome bit about the CC2, the solution as I understand it is just to never use the standby switch.

I normally suggest to find an AC30 with Celestion Blues as they are an integral part of the VOX sound. However, 70's/80's rock screams a bit more Marshall to me. The Greenback speakers will definitely give the AC30 a more Marshall vibe. If you are dead-set on the VOX sound, that is great. But keep in mind those bands you listed are not really known for using VOXes that often. That is not to say a VOX cannot get you in the same boat, as I think they definitely can.

thanks man. The problem is, buying a used one is kinda impossible since i live in Slovenia and it's a rather small country. I'm too afraid to buy one from ebay used since anything could be wrong with it and I can't check it. I get that those bands don't have that yes. I'm honestly just looking for a rock sound with a bit of a blues feel to it as I love improvising blues on backing tracks or while listening to Clapton or something. I've also read in an interview about Ritchie Blackmore that he always loved the sound of the AC30 and i really feel it's for me. From what I've read I also figured that the greenback might actually be better suited for me yes.
It's weird that i've been playing guitar for 10 years yet NEVER had a tube amp. I've had this shit ibanez one for like 200 bucks for all this time. ANYTHING is gonna be a godlike upgrade.
EDIT: Just checked the video thanks so much man! Also love that you have a telecaster !
Last edited by gasper_poleni at Oct 29, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane

Pretty much all of this.

The Vox AC30 will get you most of the sounds you are after, with the addition of an overdrive pedal or 3.
Its not going to do thrash. Maybe with a metal distortion pedal (and many of those are utter crap). The Hardwire TL-2 is a fairly decent pedal though.
The Suhr Riot does really good to get tones like The Scorpions from the demos I have heard.
For overdrives, I prefer the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET.
I also have an Ibanez TS-808 and a TS9DX, and a Zvex Box Of Rock for more dirt.
I generally use the Ibanez pedals to push each other or to push the Box Of Rock or the Fulldrive.
The Fulldrive is my #1 Overdrive pedal to use with my AC30.

The Crowther Hotcake pedal is said to be designed with the AC30 in mind. I've never tried one but many people rave about it.

The MXR 10 band EQ is a great addition as well. Its my "Always On" pedal.

As for the Alnico Blues, I think they were originally designed for the AC30 and really bring out that famous Vox "Chime".
But many people also like the Greenbacks.
I also built myself a 2x12 cabinet ( https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1399362 )
I mixed a Celestion Alnico Gold (50 watt version of the Alnico Blue) with a Celestion G12K-85, which, IMO, is a match made in heaven.
So mixing 2 different speakers may be an option to look into.

JJ tubes are a nice upgrade as well (IMO, YMMV).
They make the amp a little darker, smoother, and I myself really liked the change, and you don't lose that Vox "Chime"
You can find them here: https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=20
(They do have many options available to help you tailor the sound to your liking).

Oh, and I have the Vox AC30CCH (the head only), so I can use any cabinet/speaker combo I want.
They are hard to find used and go for around $700 IIRC (I think I paid about $1000 US new for mine)
They still make the head, but only in the hand wired version which I think is around $1,500 US.
I do have another 2x12 cab with just the G12K-85's in it as well.

Guitar wise, I have an Ibanez S570DXQM with Dimarzio Evolution pickups and a 1996 MIM Fender Stratocaster with Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials (pickups) in it.
I can get pretty much any sound I want with this setup.
I'm more of a Classic Rock, Blues Rock, sometimes Grunge and Alt-Rock kind of guy.
And a little Folk now and then.

I don't really do much thrash although I may bang out some Megadeth now and then.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 29, 2016,
CodeMonk
Thanks for the info although I really would prefer the combo to a head and a speaker. I have also read about the JJ tubes and will definitely get them but probably next year sometime. I will get an overdrive pedal in the following weeks so thanks for the suggestion! Couldn't have come at a better time. I also have an Ibanez RG guitar where I switched the pickups for dimarzio evolution .

The main problem now is that the options are kinda limited. I either buy a new AC30 for a little less than 1000€ or a different amp that might be more worth it since I can't find a used one anywhere. I'm not that big of a fan when it comes to Marshalls... I guess a fender one is kinda similar to vox, but i just really want that authentic Vox tone
Quote by CodeMonk

Its not going to do thrash. Maybe with a metal distortion pedal (and many of those are utter crap). The Hardwire TL-2 is a fairly decent pedal though.

yeah i use a tl2 with my genz benz black pearl, which is pretty voxy i think (though it has eminence red fang speakers, not celestion blues) and it sounds pretty good.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i use a tl2 with my genz benz black pearl, which is pretty voxy i think (though it has eminence red fang speakers, not celestion blues) and it sounds pretty good.

I kind regret selling mine, but I needed the money at the time to buy my Sanpera II for my Vypyr
^ yeah i mean i guess that would be more useful overall.

Shame they discontinued the hardwires, they were pretty nice pedals at a pretty good price. The ones I've tried, anyway.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I have a Vox AC30 Custom Classic head. Never had an issue with it. Don't use the standby switch.

The CC series can be found cheaper, if you're really worried about the rectifier tube there are companies that make solid state rectifiers that you can plug into an amp in place of the glass rectifier tube... though some voltage adjusting would likely be required before just plugging one of those in.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.