I have an ibanez rgix27feqm with EMG 707's, a peavey VYPER VIP-2 combo amp (not amazing but gets the job done). Im looking for any piece of equipment thats is less than or around $1000 to get a metalcore tone. Ive looked into the pod HD500x and the eleven rack but need some extra advice.
Thanks
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup I dont really have the momey to spend on a cabinet, i was thinking of waiting to get an axe fx ultra
Essentially expanding on the above.... $1000 will get you a 5150/5150 II/6505/650+ head and a cab full of V30s. Now while many say the 5150/6505 is a one trick pony, I cam get all kinds of tones out of it, however, though I don't play metalcore, it's one of THEE go to amps for that style of music
Quote by Xander_X
Essentially expanding on the above.... $1000 will get you a 5150/5150 II/6505/650+ head and a cab full of V30s. Now while many say the 5150/6505 is a one trick pony, I cam get all kinds of tones out of it, however, though I don't play metalcore, it's one of THEE go to amps for that style of music

I paid $500 for my block letter head. you can get other versions for less. it is easy to get a nice cab cheap. FFS you can get a Recto cab for $400 if you look.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I must second the used 5150/6505 head suggestion. If you look around for good used deals, you should have no problems finding both the head, and a used Mesa or Marshall cab for right around $1000 (Opt for the Mesa, but a 5150 still sounds great through the Marshall cab too). This is pretty much the definitive metalcore setup.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Unless you specifically want a modeler the 5150 is THE amp for metalcore.

With a grand you actually COULD get an Axe Ultra though. You'd still need something to play it through but that'd get you there
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I'd pass on the HD500, I've had one for years and I'm ready to sell it because its just not usable for me. Every cab model is terrible except the Engl and Greenbacks, but they're not transparent enough. The amp models control (bass, mid, treble) don't reflect the actual amps frequencies at all. The deep editing is useless.

You CAN get good tones from it, and I hear the metal expansion pack is worth it, but the crap:good ratio is too high. It's fantastic at mid gain and clean tones though.

I think a used Axe Fx Ultra (I've seen Axe Fx II go for around $1200) or a 5150/6505 is the best route.

Also, don't get a modeler if you only have headphones or computer speakers. Completely defeats the purpose imo.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 30, 2016,
5150/6505 as all have said. If you have to buy new they make a combo version for cheap.
Quote by centravanti
Even some mesa and orange are highly used on that genre.

Used Mark IV combo can be found for ~$1,000. Used Express 5:50 combo can be found for ~$750, don't have experience with them but a friend of mine loves his.
Quote by MAChiefs
Used Mark IV combo can be found for ~$1,000. Used Express 5:50 combo can be found for ~$750, don't have experience with them but a friend of mine loves his.

From experience, a Mark IV combo is completely useless for metalcore or hardcore, unless you're intentionally trying to get a stuffy and boxing sounding high gain tone with no balls. The stock black shadow is worthless.

Get a cab for it and it's a totally different amp and will crush your face.

What I'm saying is paying $1000 for a combo and not having any money left for a cab is probably not the best route, but the Mark IV is very versatile and can be used for almost any genre.
I believe Lamb of God was based on the Mark IV tone for a number of albums. It would work fine in a head/cab setup or as many....many have said some version of the peavey 5150/6505. A 6505+ combo could be had, + a speaker upgrade for probably around half of your budget, a head and a decent cab would also fit into the upper end of your budget. The nice thing about investing in a good cab is you can always use it with different heads in the future, or plug in some different speakers if you want to change things up.
Quote by Ignite
From experience, a Mark IV combo is completely useless for metalcore or hardcore, unless you're intentionally trying to get a stuffy and boxing sounding high gain tone with no balls. The stock black shadow is worthless.

Get a cab for it and it's a totally different amp and will crush your face.

What I'm saying is paying $1000 for a combo and not having any money left for a cab is probably not the best route, but the Mark IV is very versatile and can be used for almost any genre.

That's why you have to get a Rev A with the EV12 speaker!
olliclark4

I have and 11r and i would not buy one at this point. Its a great PT interface, but there will be no new development on it. If you can run the high volume i agree with the 5150 suggestion. Noise gate, boost / tube Ignitescreamer, and a noise gate.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by guitarsngear
I believe Lamb of God was based on the Mark IV tone for a number of albums.

I was just going to say that!
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Used 5150 used Marshall or Mesa cab if you don't get a combo. No one wants 412s any more so they address going cheap as hell. Used Mesas are going dirt fucking cheap as well. All the core kiddies are quitting and all the new musicians want to be djs
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Well then they aren't really core kiddies anymore are there

But yeah, a lot of people over the last couple years have been ditching the usual suspects (Recs, 6505s, etc)
Honestly, if you can, get to a store and try things out. Might be surprised by what you find.
If you have $1000 to spend, used 5150/6505 (combo or head + cab) hands down. Depending on your used market, you might be able to grab a clean boost and EQ as well.

That being said, for the $199 price tag, the peavey VIP2 models Peavey amps well. The 30w probably won't keep up with a drummer for jamming tho :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs