My current recording rig revolves around focusrite 18i20 -> usb into a windows 7 recording cpu.
I recently acquired a MOTU 2408mk3 and an APOGEE ad16 basically for free, and id like to expand my preamp options with thr motu, and id like the apogee doing my ad conversion (i assume it will be much higher quality a/d thsn ehst my focusrite has to offer.....)

I have no idea how to incorporate these peices into my focusrite. Ive read all the manuals and nothing makes sense to me..... I have some lightpipe and wordclock cables, i just dont understand how to do this the way i THINK it shoudk work. I know the focusrite has insane expandability and i/o options.... Please help!!

(And i have to keep using the focusrite unit, because my cpu only has USB, and i need the midi i/o on the focusrite...)
LYRICS. WASTED TIME BETWEEN SOLOS

l
OK, so few things here:

- The 2408 does NOt have mic preamps, it is a line-level device. You still need to run preamps into it, so I think that you aren't going to be able to accomplish the goal you may have (more mic inputs)

-The MOTU's A/D conversion is a barely noticeable step down from the AD-16

- Adding more equipment into a path can complicate troubleshooting.

- Focusrite's WC is not exactly top of the line without a distrobox being fed by it, which will clean most grounding issues you WILL in time face with this set-up.

To hook this all up though, I can give you that. Ask enough and I can draw it out.

You will need:

- 1 Lightpipe cable
- 1 DB25 - TRS cableset
- 1 BNC cable
- 1 BNC T-piece (optional)
- 1 BNC Terminator at 75ohm (optional)

Take the analog outputs of the 2408 as TRS to the AD-16 analog inputs via the DB25. Ensure that the MOTU is set to pass the input to the appropriate output (IE: in-1 to out-1, in-2 to out-2, etc).

From there take the ADAT output 1-8 at 16bit 44.1/48 to the ADAT in of the 12i20

Put the T-piece with the terminator on one T-connector on the WC input of the AD-16. Connect the BNC cable from the open input on the T-piece (optional). Ensure that the AD-16 is set to WC slave. If you'd prefer not to do this, just set the AD-16 to WC in Term.

-OR-

- 2 Lightpipe cables
- 1 DB25 - TRS cableset

Take the analog outputs of the 2408 as TRS to the AD-16 analog inputs via the DB25. Ensure that the MOTU is set to pass the input to the appropriate output (IE: in-1 to out-1, in-2 to out-2, etc).

Connect the ADAT in on the 18i20 to the ADAT out of the AD-16

Connect the ADAT out on the 18i20 to the ADAT in on the AD-16

Set the AD-16 to slave WC via ADAT.

Either one should work.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
Last edited by the chemist at Oct 30, 2016,