Hi there, I want to record some demo songs but I'm not quite sure how to mic my amp. I don't know that mich about mics. I currently have a Yeti Blue mic, a Marshall Jvm210h, and a Marshall 1960 Lead cab. I've read online about dangers of turning the amp too loud but I'm still very unclear. I also don't know where to position the mic. Thanks!
The problem with the Blue Yeti is it has been designed for voice capture. Not saying you CAN'T record a guitar amp with it, but it definitely won't be optimal. as well, most USB mics are not designed for extremely low-latency work like you'd want for recording. If you're just recording you practicing of fuffing around, it should be fine. For multi-track recording or accurate sound representation, I'd look at an interface/57 combo, which can be had for cheap, and most times will also include a DAW and some free plugins, or lite versions of bigger plugins.
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
I was more thinking:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Focusrite/Scarlett-Solo-2nd-Gen-USB-Audio-Interface.gc

plus

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure/SM57-Instrument-Vocal-Mic.gc

A real interface (using USB, so it can get low latency) plus the 57.

The Solo comes with Softube plugins (value), the Focusrite Red series plugins (I use these like a Mofo, even over Slate and Waves plugins I own). they can all be used in Garageband (there are steps to enable Audio Units in GB online), so you get more toys to play with. Plus then you can start getting Freeware AU plugs.

This also gives you the ability to record with condensers down the road, or record with emulators if you want.

A key piece of getting gigs to to ensure that your music can be listed to, not only contents wise but sonic quality as well. No matter how good you are, if they can't make out what you're doing, good luck.

Just my 2cents.
Quote by Watterboy
Last edited by the chemist at Oct 30, 2016,
Thanks. I'm also not sure where to position the mike, and whether or not turning the amp to a certain volume can damage it. Will I be safe so long as it doesn't distort?
Quote by wellmandellie
Thanks. I'm also not sure where to position the mike, and whether or not turning the amp to a certain volume can damage it. Will I be safe so long as it doesn't distort?

There's a tonne of guides for setting mic placement out there; I like this one: simple and straight forward. http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/guitars/how-to-mic-a-guitar-amp-or-cabinet-610036

As to damaging the SM57... Have you ever turned your amp up past 3/4 output? The only time I've seen an SM57 blowout (incredibly rare), was on a Mesa Boogie Mark III red stripe that was accidentally turned up to full volume when on standby, and then turned on and played. This also blew out all 4 cones in the cabinet and damaged the amp itself. The only thing that saved the guitarist's ears and mine were the fact that the cabinet was in the studio live room and we (and the amp) were in the control room with the track unassigned for the console buss.

You will NOT be able to kill that mic with that amp and cabinet combo.
Quote by Watterboy