I've sort of learned how to sweep pick, except for one thing: they dont sound as smooth as they do in songs played by bands. Meaning they still sound somewhat like I'm picking them, even though I'm not picking them individually, just sweeping across.

Anyone have any tips on making it sound smoother?
Like along the lines of the intro of: Just a Memory by Escape the Fate
Other people may chime in, but this is from my experience the first thought that came to mind.

Try practicing more without any distortion, totally clean. When I first started learning sweeps, I did this on the neck pickup and practiced practiced practiced. This may not even pertain to you, but a lot of people learn sweeps with a bunch of distortion for the sole reason of covering up sloppy technique. If you practice clean, it's easier to hear every minor detail of the sweep, and shaping it towards your goal.

Like I said, others may chime in with more useful advice, but from my personal learning experience this helped me.
Are you palm-muting while sweeping? It may help to get that "sweep across" sound you're looking for.
All that i'v learnt technical wise was from Uncle Ben's youtube lessons. I recommend it and no...he didnt pay me anything for the shameless ad :C
Last edited by renatofrmsantos at Oct 30, 2016,
Quote by Sayonara6String
Are you palm-muting while sweeping? It may help to get that "sweep across" sound you're looking for.

So, I should palm mute when sweeping or I should not?

I don't palm mute because it makes it harder to move across the strings if I'm anchoring my hand on the bridge
Quote by Parac
So, I should palm mute when sweeping or I should not?

I don't palm mute because it makes it harder to move across the strings if I'm anchoring my hand on the bridge

Not a full pressed-down mute, but a light one. It helps to separate the notes instead of having them ring out. But you want to gradually let off when you get to the higher strings as you approach the high E-string to complete the downward sweep. It's kind of like a crescending staccato-to-legato action. There's several youtube vids out there that explain the mute-to-sweep relationship.
Last edited by Sayonara6String at Oct 30, 2016,
Quote by GuitarKid61791
Other people may chime in, but this is from my experience the first thought that came to mind.

Try practicing more without any distortion, totally clean. When I first started learning sweeps, I did this on the neck pickup and practiced practiced practiced. This may not even pertain to you, but a lot of people learn sweeps with a bunch of distortion for the sole reason of covering up sloppy technique. If you practice clean, it's easier to hear every minor detail of the sweep, and shaping it towards your goal.

Like I said, others may chime in with more useful advice, but from my personal learning experience this helped me.

Agree with this
No need to palm mute imo if you get this right

Also for curiosity, which song?