Yes, contraceptives have side effects – and it’s time for men to put up with them too!

Page 1 of 4
Apparently women can have such ailments as depression and acne thrust upon them for the greater good of preventing an unwanted pregnancy, but the same level of discomfort cannot be expected of men

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/male-contraceptive-injection-successful-trial-halted-a7384601.html?cmpid=facebook-post

The finding that the latest version of the injected male contraceptive is now very effective is fantastic news. In a trial of 320 men, researchers found that, over a one-year period, it was 96 per cent effective in preventing pregnancy. A spokesperson for the World Health Organisation said: “The study found it is possible to have a hormonal contraceptive for men that reduces the risk of unplanned pregnancies in the partners of men who use it.”

But the trial of the drug has already been halted – because just 20 of the men (out of 320, don’t forget) found the side effects of the injection intolerable and it was decided that more research needed to be done to try and counteract them. Those side effects included depression, muscle pain, mood swings, acne and changes to the libido.

Do any of those side effects sound familiar? Oh yes, they’re the minor side effects of the combined pill, used by 48 per cent of women aged 16 to 19, 64 per cent of women aged between 20 and 24 and a majority (55 per cent) of those aged between 25 and 29.

How sad for these poor men – they couldn’t handle the side effects that so many women have to deal with every day just to avoid an unwanted pregnancy. Women have had to bear the responsibility of contraception since the pill was first launched in 1962 – and all of the side effects that go along with it.

When it comes to contraception, medicine is clearly biased towards men. Women can have such ailments as depression and acne thrust upon them for the greater good of preventing an unwanted pregnancy, but the same level of discomfort cannot be expected of men. Researchers are now going to spent millions trying to alter this medication so that its side effects are lessened.

Only 20 of the men surveyed said that they couldn’t handle the side effects – more than 75 per cent said they would happily use the contraception. Because 20 men weren’t happy, the entire trial has been halted.

Let’s review this in context. One of the most dangerous risks to women of taking the combined pill is the increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. It affects two in 10,000 women. Young women’s lives have been cut short because they were taking the pill. The advice from the regulatory agency? “The benefits outweigh the risks.”

There is also an increased risk of breast cancer: one in eight women get breast cancer, and it is responsible for 31 deaths in Britain every day. Then there’s the higher chance of getting cervical cancer or having a stroke, not to mention mood swings, cramps, sore breasts, headaches, migraines, weight gain, heavy and painful periods, no periods at all, bleeding every single day (known spotting) – do I need to go on?

The risks of the combined pill are numerous, and taking it is not a pleasant thing. But women have taken this burden on for more than 50 years to allow their relationships to develop without the risk of pregnancy. It is offensive and inconsiderate that researchers are halting a major trial of a male contraception because of a few minor – yes, they are minor, and if you’re a woman complaining about them, that’s what your GP will most certainly tell you – side effects.

I don’t blame the men who dropped out of the trial for doing so. I blame the medical establishment for treating women like cattle who can deal with the risk of cancer and blood clots to avoid the world being populated by unwanted babies, yet aren’t willing to let men suffer even a slight headache to the same end.

The combined pill are not much better. The mini pill doesn’t provide as much of a risk, as it isn’t jam-packed full of oestrogen, yet you can end up with irregular bleeding or no periods at all – unnerving for many, especially when you’re trying to avoid an unplanned pregnancy. The depo injection is renowned for irregular bleeding – some people bleed every single day on it – and it cannot be reversed. If its side effects are intolerable, you have to sit it out for three months. The implant is also renowned for its disruption to the menstrual cycle – plus, you have to have a stick jammed in your arm. Let’s not even start on the coil (a bit of copper shoved into your uterus through your vagina and cervix without any pain relief, anyone?).

It’s enough to make you consider that remaining celibate – or even having a child – could be viable options.

The halting of the male contraceptive trial is not justified. Unless the researchers produce evidence that this injection increases the risk of death, cancer – or any side effect with a disproportionately higher risk than the forms of contraception billions of women are already using – they are courting controversy.

I’ve never been of the school of thought that science is biased against women. Usually, I’m the one defending it. But this is taking the biscuit. Women make up half the population in this country, and half the partnership responsible for every unplanned child – and it’s time someone gave us a break when it comes to contraception.

Tbh I'm fine with just wrapping it. I don't ask for women to be on the pill and I wouldn't take this injection, but I wouldn't expect any girls I am with to be on the pill either (or the coil or the implant or the injection). So idk why women are so mad about this.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
So idk why women are so mad about this.
i don't think that's what is happening
i haven't had to worry about this since i went my own way
..::fat
lard::..
"depression, muscle pain, mood swings, acne and changes to the libido" -- sounds like an average day lol
Quote by Baby Joel
i don't think that's what is happening

facebook and twitter seem pretty mad

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Oct 30, 2016,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
facebook and twitter seem pretty bad
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EndTheRapture51
facebook and twitter seem pretty mad

Does this mean we still have to check how Tumblr is feeling or do we at this point just assume they have lost their shit?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I'm no dentist, but that's 96% effectiveness (compared to the combined pill's 99% with proper use) with 6.25% of users experiencing "intolerable" side effects. Is that good enough for use by the general public? Risks of life-threatening diseases are not well known because the male contraceptive is a relatively new development. Sexism alone cannot account for all the differences between contraceptives.
Quote by sashki
I'm no dentist, but that's 96% effectiveness (compared to the combined pill's 99% with proper use) with 6.25% of users experiencing "intolerable" side effects. Is that good enough for use by the general public? Risks of life-threatening diseases are not well known because the male contraceptive is a relatively new development. Sexism alone cannot account for all the differences between contraceptives.

Good?????
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Does this mean we still have to check how Tumblr is feeling or do we at this point just assume they have lost their shit?

I just don't know how else we can find out what women are thinking. Surely you can't just go ahead and walk up to one and start asking her questions, what with their boobs and all?
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
Hello ETR thread. Oh what big quotes you have. Oh and gross misrepresentations of fact; and oh what great big inflammatory opinions you have.

"ALL THE BETTER TO rustle your jimmies WITH MY DEAR."
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
My mom had some sort of spring put in the...semen duct or whatever its called, it works like a diaphram. She says that pills make her feel band and that semen is very healthy for a female.

So why arent more women using these type of things?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
My mom had some sort of spring put in the...semen duct or whatever its called, it works like a diaphram. She says that pills make her feel band and that semen is very healthy for a female.

So why arent more women using these type of things?

Do you mean an IUD? They come with their own risks and side effects, as do all contraceptives.

From Wikipedia:

Regardless of containing progestogen or copper, potential side effects of intrauterine devices include expulsion, uterus perforation, pelvic inflammatory disease (especially in the first 21 days after insertion), as well as irregular menstrual pattern. A small probability of pregnancy remains after IUD insertion, and when it occurs there is a greater risk of ectopic pregnancy.
Substantial pain that needs active management occurs in approximately 17% of nulliparous women and approximately 11% of parous women.[39] In such cases, NSAID are evidenced to be effective.[39] However, no prophylactic analgesic drug have been found to be effective for routine use for women undergoing IUD insertion.[39]
Also, IUDs with progestogen confer an increased risk of ovarian cysts,[40] and IUDs with copper confer an increased risk of heavier periods.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Oct 30, 2016,
This is so not an issue, to anyone
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
The fact you call it a spring kinda makes me hope that the semen is shot back out roughly as hard as it's shot in.

"You cum in me? No! I cum on YOU!"
kitty on my foot and I wanna touch it
meow meow meow meow meow meow
Quote by neidnarb11890
"depression, muscle pain, mood swings, acne and changes to the libido" -- sounds like an average day lol

me too
Quote by sashki
16%, actually.

Also:
The halting of the male contraceptive trial is not justified. Unless the researchers produce evidence that this injection increases the risk of death, cancer – or any side effect with a disproportionately higher risk than the forms of contraception billions of women are already using – they are courting controversy.

and

Let’s review this in context. One of the most dangerous risks to women of taking the combined pill is the increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), which can be fatal. It affects two in 10,000 women. Young women’s lives have been cut short because they were taking the pill. The advice from the regulatory agency? “The benefits outweigh the risks.”

show that the author doesn't know the difference between clinical trials and case control studies.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by sashki
20 out of 320 people is 1 in 16, not 16%
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Tbh I'm fine with just wrapping it. I don't ask for women to be on the pill and I wouldn't take this injection, but I wouldn't expect any girls I am with to be on the pill either (or the coil or the implant or the injection). So idk why women are so mad about this.

I don't know about anyone being mad about this article so that's not really where I'm coming from, and it's nice that you are understanding of this. But many people are quite misinformed or under-informed about the effects of various contraceptives and it is quite annoying when you ask someone for a tylenol for cramps and they start evangelizing to you about the pill or implant or whatever. Obviously i hear this more from women than men because i don't talk to men about this stuff in person. I imagine that people who are mad about this feel similarly to me and are taking their emotions to the next level.

I personally feel that more research on female contraceptives needs to be done and while it would be nice to have a male contraceptive too, it is not a priority in my mind because female contraceptives serve more purposes than simply not getting pregnant.
cat
"depression, muscle pain, mood swings, acne and changes to the libido"
"minor problems"
Fack off two of those aren't even vaguely minor

anyhow something something chastity? I hardly knew her
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 30, 2016,
I feel like I've read this exact same thing as a poorly formatted tumblr post before

Like literally this exact same thing, word for word, except written by an angry 17 year old Dr. Who fan rather than the independent.

THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2016: 78-65
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2016: 1-0
2016 NFL Pick 'Em: 10-6
Quote by guitarxo
I don't know about anyone being mad about this article so that's not really where I'm coming from, and it's nice that you are understanding of this. But many people are quite misinformed or under-informed about the effects of various contraceptives and it is quite annoying when you ask someone for a tylenol for cramps and they start evangelizing to you about the pill or implant or whatever. Obviously i hear this more from women than men because i don't talk to men about this stuff in person. I imagine that people who are mad about this feel similarly to me and are taking their emotions to the next level.

I personally feel that more research on female contraceptives needs to be done and while it would be nice to have a male contraceptive too, it is not a priority in my mind because female contraceptives serve more purposes than simply not getting pregnant.

Yeah research on female contraceptives should be prioritised I think because they're obviously way more than just being about sex. Men having inactive sperm or being unable to ejaculate would be useful from a contraception standpoint but there's none of the period pain etc. associated with women's menstruation.

So for men it'd be a purely contraceptive thing. For women it's obviously way more than that, about controlling menstruation in general. I'm fine with the guy taking point on contreception but I thought that women's contraceptives were more about menstruation in general.

Quote by UltimateGuizar
I say we ban sex.
As long as wanking is still fine, my life remains unaffected!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Female revenge is more important than anything else in the world.
Way more important that war, racism, homophobia and anything else combined
Quote by UltimateGuizar
You should probably wear a glove just in case though
Like I need an excuse

Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Banjocal
"depression, muscle pain, mood swings, acne and changes to the libido"
"minor problems"
Fack off two of those aren't even vaguely minor

anyhow something something chastity? I hardly knew her

Those are literally the same things you get on the pill.

Ask yourself the same question I do - is this side effect worse than an unwanted pregnancy?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Those are literally the same things you get on the pill.

Ask yourself the same question I do - is this side effect worse than an unwanted pregnancy?
...I know... I never suggested they weren't?

I prefer abstinence because I'm kewl and in touch with the lord
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 30, 2016,
Well personally I'd be willing to give this a go to give my missus a break from it. She used to take the pill in order to have periods, they fucked with her after she had mini-RAB, so she got put on one that stopped them altogether and she's now developing side effects from that. Just so I've not gotta buy condoms. I'm planning on getting the snip after we have our second kid anyway but if I have another option available to me in the meantime I'd be happy to take it so the pressure wasn't all on my wife.

I don't see why people are outraged at the outrage in the article. I also don't see why research into this can't happen alongide research into safer female contraceptives.

Like seriously the whole " I'm gonna get ultra defensive because a woman dared to suggest i have it easier as a man" thing wears just as thin as the "everything a man does exists only to persecute women" line of thinking.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

Last edited by RAB11 at Oct 30, 2016,
Quote by Banjocal
...I know... I never suggested they weren't?

I prefer abstinence because I'm kewl and in touch with the lord

You said they weren't minor things. I was trying to say we already have birth control on the market that has those side effects and worse.

Not that it's a race to the bottom. Just saying, hormonal birth control is fucked.
Quote by RAB11
Well personally I'd be willing to give this a go to give my missus a break from it. She used to take the pill in order to have periods, they fucked with her after she had mini-RAB, so she got put on one that stopped them altogether and she's now developing side effects from that. Just so I've not gotta buy condoms. I'm planning on getting the snip after we have our second kid anyway but if I have another option available to me in the meantime I'd be happy to take it so the pressure wasn't all on my wife.

I don't see why people are outraged at the outrage in the article. I also don't see why research into this can't happen alongide research into safer female contraceptives.

No ones saying male contraceptives are bad or shouldn't be looked into it's just the tone of the article is absolutely terrible and also people don't understand clinical trials

Quote by EndTheRapture51
No ones saying male contraceptives are bad or shouldn't be looked into it's just the tone of the article is absolutely terrible and also people don't understand clinical trials

Opinion piece in biased tone shocker.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

god that article and the writer are way too cunty

nobody is making you take birth control and if you have a SO that tries to make you take birth control you should probably leave them
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Ignite
Can people just stop fucking so much? Jfc
well don't fuck jesus right afterwards!
I don’t blame the men who dropped out of the trial for doing so

You just said:

How sad for these poor men – they couldn’t handle the side effects that so many women have to deal with every day just to avoid an unwanted pregnancy

It seems this article has too many emotional connotations behind it and is biased enough to affects the author's judgement. E.g the whole thing with 20 out of 320 men having bad side effects yet comparing it to the 1 in a 10000 chance of DVT, the whole rant against the "medical establishment", etc.
However it does point out the whole "women have to take contraceptives while men don't" thing which is worth discussing.

If it was just to avoid unwanted pregnancies I think it's entirely reasonable for men to take some sort of contraceptive too, at the very least they should have the same expectation of it as women. Also this applies to stable couples mostly (strangers wanting to fuck would just use a condom). If you two are a couple it makes sense for both to be expected to take contraceptives and not just the woman.

I support research on improving women's pill, and also in improving this men's contraceptive. Both can be done in parallel so there's little point in complaining about one just to boost the other.
In regards to this specific trial, 20 out of 320 suffering from side effects is enough to have more research poured into reducing its side effects, don't see anything wrong with that. If we want such a contraceptive to be used by lots of men in the future we should reduce its side effects as much as possible (plus researching alternative ways of taking it, since an injection seems too intrusive for it to become mainstream)

Also, I was under the impression that the pill had more benefits to the woman than just avoiding unwanted pregnancies:
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/contraception-the-pill

• It usually makes periods shorter, lighter and more regular.
  • It can improve symptoms that can come with periods such as pain, mood swings and headaches.
  • It lessens the risk of cancer of the ovaries and uterus.
  • It can be used to safely skip periods.
  • It usually improves acne.

Also apparently the increased risk of breast cancer is not as big as the OP's article makes it out to be (plus the "a side effect of the pill is acne" bit seems contradictory).
Page 1 of 4