it's not listed on the floyd rose site but i'd suspect the number just refers to the colour of the trem- i.e. it's effectively the same as a 1000 series but just a different colour.

the 1000 series ones are made in Korea, the OFR (or FRO, or whatever they call it these days ) is made in Germany. Some people say they're the same, some people don't. Personally I think the German one is a little better, you can tell corners have been cut and it's been more made down to a price on the Korean one, but at the same time the Korean one is a decent trem (and should be a direct swap for a German one, or a Schaller Lockmeister, which as far as I'm aware is an OFR just with Schaller branding) and should be fine for going on with.

There used to be a nice webpage outlining all the differences, but it seems to have disappeared
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Dave_Mc

Hmm, never thought of that, they do go by a different number judging by the color don't they? But I dunno if it has anything to do with the color, tbh I doubt it.

The Banshee Elite has the 1500 series too and it comes in a completely different color than the 1500 series that's on the JL-7.
The different numbers simply designate the finish. Nothing else.

I wouldn't trust what the manufacturer's website says about the particular model either. They're often inaccurate from brand to brand.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
It's not just a finish or color difference. According to Schecter, it's got more stainless steel, less parts made of nickel, or whatever the 1000 is made of, and it's got a push in trem arm, rather than the screw collar. I've played one. The push in arm is nice. It's supposed to have "retooled knife edges" which should make for, theoretically, smoother trem action. I just ordered a guitar with one. Once I get it, I'll be able to compare with my floyd 1000 guitar.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, and Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
GK 400RB w/Ampeg 4x10 Cab
https://soundcloud.com/dudeandguitar
Quote by jordandeir
Dave_Mc

Hmm, never thought of that, they do go by a different number judging by the color don't they? But I dunno if it has anything to do with the color, tbh I doubt it.

The Banshee Elite has the 1500 series too and it comes in a completely different color than the 1500 series that's on the JL-7.

Yeah, the 1000 is available in several colors, and that doesn't change the model name. The 1500 is a different model, with subtle changes, which is also available in different colors. For now, the 1500 seems to be exclusive to schecter. I assume that's a limited time thing.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's not listed on the floyd rose site but i'd suspect the number just refers to the colour of the trem- i.e. it's effectively the same as a 1000 series but just a different colour.

the 1000 series ones are made in Korea, the OFR (or FRO, or whatever they call it these days ) is made in Germany. Some people say they're the same, some people don't. Personally I think the German one is a little better,

Floyd Rose says no -- the German and the Korean versions "are made of the same materials and to the same specs". The 1000 series is the version that's handed to large manufacturers (Gibson, Fender, etc.) and the German version is the aftermarket "bubblepack" version for individual purchase and for small builders.
Quote by the_bi99man
It's not just a finish or color difference. According to Schecter, it's got more stainless steel, less parts made of nickel, or whatever the 1000 is made of, and it's got a push in trem arm, rather than the screw collar. I've played one. The push in arm is nice. It's supposed to have "retooled knife edges" which should make for, theoretically, smoother trem action. I just ordered a guitar with one. Once I get it, I'll be able to compare with my floyd 1000 guitar.

News to me.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
I have both the 1000 series as well as German OFR (which are made for FR by Schaller but not to be confused with the Schaller branded OFR which are quite different indeed) both are great trems the Korean version is not made with as much attention to detail as the German version the corners are not as defined the screws for locking the string blocks are of a smaller diameter on the 1000 but from my experience it is still a very stable system I have not notice any reall difference in performance between the two.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I have both the 1000 series as well as German OFR (which are made for FR by Schaller but not to be confused with the Schaller branded OFR which are quite different indeed) both are great trems the Korean version is not made with as much attention to detail as the German version the corners are not as defined the screws for locking the string blocks are of a smaller diameter on the 1000 but from my experience it is still a very stable system I have not notice any reall difference in performance between the two.

So because the screws and string blocks are of a smaller diameter, does that mean you can't swap out a 1000 series for an OFR down the line if you wanted too?
Quote by jordandeir
So because the screws and string blocks are of a smaller diameter, does that mean you can't swap out a 1000 series for an OFR down the line if you wanted too?

those parts wouldn't be interchangeable but the trem itself could be swapped out as a whole unit.
Quote by jordandeir

I've already swapped out 1000 series for OFRs on a couple of guitars (this was based mostly on a color change, not on anything to do with quality differences; they're functionally identical). Some parts won't interchange, but that's mostly immaterial. They're interchangeable on the guitars.
Quote by dspellman
I've already swapped out 1000 series for OFRs on a couple of guitars (this was based mostly on a color change, not on anything to do with quality differences; they're functionally identical). Some parts won't interchange, but that's mostly immaterial. They're interchangeable on the guitars.

So, the bridge as a whole is drop-in?
How does it compare with 1500 or 2000 versions?
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by bjgrifter

Dimensionally the routing will be the same also you should be able to interchange some parts but say you have a bad saddle you would need to change out the saddle/saddle block, and saddle locking screw but an OFR will be a direct retrofit and will drop into the 1000 routing: https://www.floydrose.com/support/faq/1000-series-original

As far as the 1500 or 2000 I dont have any experience with them and do not know the differences.

FWIW as I said before I have had no issues with my 1000 series Floyds.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by bjgrifter

I can only compare to the aftermarket (2000?) German-sourced brand -- there are visual cues that can tell you the difference, but I really haven't seen performance differences. Floyd really doesn't intend that there BE performance differences, in fact, and has maintained to me in two separate emails that both are built to identical spec and to the standards set by Floyd Rose (whatever that means).
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, the 1000 is available in several colors, and that doesn't change the model name. The 1500 is a different model, with subtle changes, which is also available in different colors. For now, the 1500 seems to be exclusive to schecter. I assume that's a limited time thing.

you may be right, I dunno. The number denotes the colour here http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:1000-series-original/original-style but the 1500 doesn't quite follow that naming pattern either, so you may well be correct.

Quote by dspellman
Floyd Rose says no -- the German and the Korean versions "are made of the same materials and to the same specs". The 1000 series is the version that's handed to large manufacturers (Gibson, Fender, etc.) and the German version is the aftermarket "bubblepack" version for individual purchase and for small builders.

I don't care what floyd says, I have both here and they're not "exactly the same". The 1000 isn't made with as good attention to detail, as Evilnine said. That link I was talking about pointed out the differences, but apparently it's disappeared
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Dave_Mc
you may be right, I dunno. The number denotes the colour here http://www.floydrose.com/catalog/tremolos/6:1000-series-original/original-style but the 1500 doesn't quite follow that naming pattern either, so you may well be correct.

Oh, that? Yeah, those are the catalog numbers. Since they're used for ordering, they have to have a different code for every possible variation, including color. The model name (1000, 1500, 2000, pro) is the advertised one, which only indicates actual design changes, subtle as they may be.
Guitars
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
yeah. is there a 2000 series? i don't see it on the website.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

haha no worries
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman