Soo ive been looking for one of these for a while, any suggestions for a half stack that wont break the bank?
The type of music im looking to play is most varieties of metal. Thanks,
My guide to life:
Try something
Fail
Repeat

One day youll get it right. maybe.
Well; there are some parameters we need in order to assist you properly. What is your budget? Where do you live (because not all brands are available everywhere in the world)? Since you are a metal guitarist, you are probably looking for a tube amplifier. Do you have a wattage range that you are considering?

Many will probably reply that you do not need a half-stack, and perhaps you don't. But if you want one, then go for it. Worthwhile tube half-stacks are not often found at bargain prices, so let us know what your range is. Beyond that, there are few limits on good ones out there: Marshall, Peavey, EVH, Carvin, Diamond, Hiwatt, Orange; the list is endless. Price is probably going to limit your selections more than anything else.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by FatalGear41
Well; there are some parameters we need in order to assist you properly. What is your budget? Where do you live (because not all brands are available everywhere in the world)? Since you are a metal guitarist, you are probably looking for a tube amplifier. Do you have a wattage range that you are considering?

Many will probably reply that you do not need a half-stack, and perhaps you don't. But if you want one, then go for it. Worthwhile tube half-stacks are not often found at bargain prices, so let us know what your range is. Beyond that, there are few limits on good ones out there: Marshall, Peavey, EVH, Carvin, Diamond, Hiwatt, Orange; the list is endless. Price is probably going to limit your selections more than anything else.

£1000 GBP is the max price, and i live in the UK so availability isn't really an issue
My guide to life:
Try something
Fail
Repeat

kramer242 not really what i meant, i meant more specific bits of gear, not where to find random bits, thanks though
My guide to life:
Try something
Fail
Repeat

Wolfsfang you can find specific with a look, but yeah it can be a pain in the ass.... ogre been lucky thus far
I would normally suggest a Peavey, but given that you are in the UK they aren't necessarily budget friendly, you may want to check out a Laney Ironheart, I think the 60W head plus a cab would be in your budget. You may want to consider a 2x12 instead of a 4x12, there is a lot of preference for them these days as they are smaller, lighter, easier to transport etc. If you really wanted to save you could get a get city from Thomann. If you are into a 2x12, I believe there is a Harley Benton 2x12 with Celestion vintage 30 speakers from Thomann for very low $.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_irt60h_ironheart_bundle.htm?ref=search_rslt_laney+ironheart_290178_11
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm_bundle_2.htm?ref=search_rslt_jet+city_310762_10
https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h_bundle_1.htm?ref=search_rslt_jet+city_243695_11
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?ref=search_rslt_harley+benton+2x12_198064_0
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

** EDIT** also include for an overdrive pedal in your budget
Last edited by guitarsngear at Nov 2, 2016,
do you play one type of metal more than others? the jet cities he^ mentioned are killer value and hard to beat at their new price, but they're probably more aimed at 80s metal, for example.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Living in the U.K.; Laney is always a strong contender for those into metal. It certainly works for Tony Iommi (and others). The Ironheart series - as already mentioned - is definitely geared to the metal end of guitar amps - so give it a look. Beyond that, Peavey's 6505 series is the standard by which metal/high-gain guitar amplifiers are judged. I don't know what they cost in your neck of the woods, but if the price is right, it should suit you well.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by FatalGear41
Beyond that, Peavey's 6505 series is the standard by which metal/high-gain guitar amplifiers are judged. I don't know what they cost in your neck of the woods, but if the price is right, it should suit you well.
Not my area of expertise since I'm mostly about clean amps but I'm fairly sure over here with a grand you could easily get a 6505 and cab and have a fair chunk left over.
If the price of amps in uk is anything like Ireland you can easily pick up a used peavey 6505 for that much.