So the other day I did something stupid ... (or possibly genius?)

My Olympic White Fender Strat has a bit of wear here and there, but only minor damages. I'd love to get a more raw look to it by relicing it manually. I used a bit of sand paper and a sharp cutting tool to add a bit more wear to the finish and so far it's looking alright, but I'd love to "dig deeper".

Anybody got experience with relicing a strat? Any specific tips for getting a natural looking wear on the finish? How do I go about relicing the metal parts and the pickguard? Would love to pick up some good tips!
Just by asking this question, you need to stop what you're doing immediately before you do something to your guitar that you're going to regret.

I suppose that since you've attacked the finish in sandpaper, you've already hugely devalued the guitar. Too late now I guess.

Relicing a guitar in a way that looks convincing is an art in subtlety. Lots of nuubees just gouge chunks out of the finish, attack the neck with sandpaper and call it relic'd. Even though it causes irreversible damage, looks absolutely terrible and oftentimes this is done on Squiers and other cheap guitars; the kind of guitars that people don't play for all that long before getting something better quality and certainly not long enough to actually 'age' the guitar in a fashion the person holding the 400 grit sandpaper block wants to convey.

There are lots of tutorials on YT for doing lots of specific things to make your guitar look old. But you certainly don't want to do all of them all at once or else the relic look is going to make the guitar look older than when it was first made which obviously isn't realistic. Subtlety and attention to detail is really, really key if you want to make the relic look convincing.

Our of interest, do you have any pics of the current damage you're responsible for?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by haxe2
So the other day I did something stupid ... (or possibly genius?)

My Olympic White Fender Strat has a bit of wear here and there, but only minor damages. I'd love to get a more raw look to it by relicing it manually. I used a bit of sand paper and a sharp cutting tool to add a bit more wear to the finish and so far it's looking alright, but I'd love to "dig deeper".

Anybody got experience with relicing a strat? Any specific tips for getting a natural looking wear on the finish? How do I go about relicing the metal parts and the pickguard? Would love to pick up some good tips!

Most relicing done by amateurs looks stupid. Areas that really don't wear in actual use are hacked away, edges are sanded, dings are added. You've already screwed up your guitar (most likely) and trashed the resale value. If you don't know how a guitar wears naturally, you won't get anything realistic by "digging deeper." I have guitars from the 30's, 40's and 50's that have been played that really don't have that much visible wear.

This is a '60's guitar that has a severely checked finish, but the actual player *wear* is subtle:

This guitar, however, seems to have a LOT more wear:

But the truth is, that's a vinyl wrap. None of the wear actually exists.
Quote by dspellman
Most relicing done by amateurs looks stupid. Areas that really don't wear in actual use are hacked away, edges are sanded, dings are added. You've already screwed up your guitar (most likely) and trashed the resale value. If you don't know how a guitar wears naturally, you won't get anything realistic by "digging deeper." I have guitars from the 30's, 40's and 50's that have been played that really don't have that much visible wear.

This is a '60's guitar that has a severely checked finish, but the actual player *wear* is subtle:

This guitar, however, seems to have a LOT more wear:

But the truth is, that's a vinyl wrap. None of the wear actually exists.
I'll probably not sell this guitar, so hopefully the natural wear catches up eventually, haha. I think you've convinced me to not dig any deeper.