I was just wondering what the ohm is on this 2 x 12 combo, there is 2 8 ohm speakers does that make it 16 ohm load?

Reason I am asking is because I just got a Marshall dsl 100 h head and all I have to hook up to it is the speakers from the triple x.. I am trying to figure out if I should plug the speaker input into the 16 or 8 ohm input on the marshall head.. The guy I got it off of said the 16ohm but it sounds a bit bassy to me.. Maybe the speakers are crap idk..
Last edited by vaalix at Oct 30, 2016,
The XXX 112/212 combos are designed to run at 16 ohms stock.

The Sheffield XXX speakers are pretty nice speakers. Very close sounding to Vintage 30s (though I still prefer V30s).
Quote by vaalix
I was just wondering what the ohm is on this 2 x 12 combo, there is 2 8 ohm speakers does that make it 16 ohm load?

Reason I am asking is because I just got a Marshall dsl 100 h head and all I have to hook up to it is the speakers from the triple x.. I am trying to figure out if I should plug the speaker input into the 16 or 8 ohm input on the marshall head.. The guy I got it off of said the 16ohm but it sounds a bit bassy to me.. Maybe the speakers are crap idk..
If there are 2 8 ohm speakers, there are two possibilities. If they are wired in parallel, then the total ohm load is 4 ohms. If they are wired in series, it would be 16. I would think it is more likely for them to be wired 16 ohms but I cannot say that for sure. Tell us what model the 2x12 cab is and we may can help. I would not try using the head anymore until you get it figured out, as improper load matching can cause damage to the amp, speaker, or both.
Quote by Will Lane
If there are 2 8 ohm speakers, there are two possibilities. If they are wired in parallel, then the total ohm load is 4 ohms. If they are wired in series, it would be 16. I would think it is more likely for them to be wired 16 ohms but I cannot say that for sure. Tell us what model the 2x12 cab is and we may can help. I would not try using the head anymore until you get it figured out, as improper load matching can cause damage to the amp, speaker, or both.

As Will says, it depends on how the speakers are wired. Can you post a pic if you can't determine series or parallel?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Though the above is correct, again if it's still wired as it came from the factory, it's 16 ohms.

Directly from the owners manual.
Quote by Xander_X
Though the above is correct, again if it's still wired as it came from the factory, it's 16 ohms.

Oh apologies, I missed the bit from the OP about it being the XXX ext cab.
-
As far as the bassy sound goes, do some experimenting. If you're using a high-gain tone, use the bridge pup to get a tighter bass response.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 31, 2016,
Quote by Will Lane
Oh apologies, I missed the bit from the OP about it being the XXX ext cab.
-
As far as the bassy sound goes, do some experimenting. If you're using a high-gain tone, use the bridge pup to get a tighter bass response.

Actually it looks like he's trying to play his Marshall head through a XXX 212 combo. I wish he had a XXX 212 Ext Cab, I'd try to buy it off him lol. They're hard to come by.

As far as them being bassy, I'm actually surprised and would be interested to see the end result of what you figure out. I use a XXX 412 regularly with my 6505+ head. The Sheffield XXX are pretty bright speakers, and my 412 should have more bass (than 212) along with a 6505+ being known as a fairly dark amp. I've actually been thinking about swapping out a couple of them for Creambacks to GET a little more low end.
Last edited by Xander_X at Oct 31, 2016,
Quote by Xander_X

If you buy it used you need to pull the back or handle and confirm the speakers and wiring.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
I totally forgot I posted here..

Here is a pic
https://i.imgsafe.org/b3488b5085.jpg
I think it looks in series? Tht bottom wire is going from + to -
The main question was, I was testing out this Marshall head and just plugging that triple x single speaker output line into the marshall head, but to what ohm? there is a 4/8/16 inputs.. 3 of them..

My other question is, you see in the pic how there is 2 speaker jacks on the triple x? not the output line but the 2 side by side with only one plug in it? Is this amp able to run in stereo if I wire one speaker to the one jack, and the other speaker to the other jack? Is that possible? Would that put the ohm load to 8? Im not about to do anything like that, just wondering if that would make the amp stereo?

And just from my testing, the marshall sounds like crap compared to the triple x.. Maybe the speakers don't fit well with the marshall.. I finally figured out how to get a decent tone out of the triple x by keeping the master about 11 or 12 o'clock and using the channels volume on a lower setting.. I was actually doing the reverse keeping the master down low and cranking up the channels volume knob.. I have to say the sound difference is night and day keeping the master turned way up and the channel volume down a bit.. I mention that in case anyone else reads and can't dial in a decent tone on their triple x.. It could be that setting.. As it sits now, this triple x blows this marshall head out of the water.. I don't have a bunch of pedals or nothing which is why the built in distortion on the triple x is nice. The marshall head just sounds bassy, but it could be the speakers.. I barely use the marshall head. I traded a 2x12 classic 50 for the marshall head.
Last edited by vaalix at Nov 15, 2016,
Quote by vaalix
I totally forgot I posted here..

Here is a pic
https://i.imgsafe.org/b3488b5085.jpg
I think it looks in series? Tht bottom wire is going from + to -

the pic and the manual both confirm a 16 ohm cabinet

Quote by vaalix
The main question was, I was testing out this Marshall head and just plugging that triple x single speaker output line into the marshall head, but to what ohm? there is a 4/8/16 inputs.. 3 of them..

you would set the marshall to 16 ohms and run the 1/4" male jack from the speakers to the 1/4" female speaker jack in the marshall amplifier. there is a bit of ambiguity in what you posted here, so i am not sure you are implying this, but do NOT run a 1/4" speaker cable from the female speaker out in the marshall to the female speaker out in the XXX (this would be quite bad).

Quote by vaalix
My other question is, you see in the pic how there is 2 speaker jacks on the triple x? not the output line but the 2 side by side with only one plug in it? Is this amp able to run in stereo if I wire one speaker to the one jack, and the other speaker to the other jack? Is that possible? Would that put the ohm load to 8? Im not about to do anything like that, just wondering if that would make the amp stereo?

the two speakers jacks are wired together in parallel (this is in the manual as well), so the XXX can send a signal through both jacks and this would allow you to run two separate speaker cabinets. you pretty much have to run two cabinets with the same impedance rating, so if you want to run the native speakers (which are wired for 16 ohms) then you'd run another 16 ohm cabinet (preferably another 2x12 to keep all speaker impedances the same). at that point you'd have a two separate 16 ohm loads run in parallel with one another, making a total of an 8 ohm load (see below). furthermore, this means you need to switch your amp's speaker impedance selector to 8.

1/Rtot = 1/R1 + 1/R2
1/Rtot = 1/16 + 1/16 = 2/16 = 1/8
Rtot = 8

that all being said, this is not considered a true 'stereo' setup, as the same audio signal is being sent to both cabinets. a stereo setup would need to be able to create a stereo field, which would require 2 different audio signals to be able to be sent to the speaker cabinets. this is just a point of semantics, but one worth mentioning due to possible future confusion.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 15, 2016,
ok so no true stereo from this amp, and run it 16ohms. i completely understand everything you said, but the last question now is, what is the line out female jack for? Would that be to run into a p.a system?
Last edited by vaalix at Nov 17, 2016,
vaalix

it's for anything that you can use a line level signal for. run it directly to a board to record, run it to a mixer for PA or monitoring, run it to another power amp to run a slave amp. things like that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae