Trick or treating - Harmless fun for young kids, or a form of begging?

Poll: Well?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well?
Harmless fun for kids.
23 68%
Begging.
11 32%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 2
Neither. It's a competition among homeowners so they can brag about how all the kids say they have the best candies.
It's also a gimmick to get parents to make candy companies rich.

#WakeUpSheeple etc.

Edit: Though I guess if you look at it that way, the parents/homeowners could be seen as encouraging visitors, so probs the former.
Voted UG User of the Year 2015 & 2016
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Oct 31, 2016,
If it was a thing here, I feel like it would be a great way to offload crap in my pantry I no longer want.
Yes I am falling
How much longer
Till I hit the ground?
Neither but I lean towards the sign of begging.

Last year I was in my room on Halloween and I opened the door to some kids because my friends were coming over. I didn't have anything to give them lol. Such a weird tradition.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
The former, id say it's just harmless fun because it's not as big a deal over here as Joshua Garcia has it. I mean i don't do anything but id have to be a big grump to begrudge a few little kids their fun. Some years nobody even comes
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Neither but I lean towards the sign of begging.

Last year I was in my room on Halloween and I opened the door to some kids because my friends were coming over. I didn't have anything to give them lol. Such a weird tradition.

DId your parents not let you go trick or treating when you were young? If they did were you somehow feeling guilty for begging for candy? I think for most of us trick or treating was a great childhood memory.

Maybe you felt guilty for being a cheapskate and not passing out any candy?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
DId your parents not let you go trick or treating when you were young? If they did were you somehow feeling guilty for begging for candy? I think for most of us trick or treating was a great childhood memory.

Maybe you felt guilty for being a cheapskate and not passing out any candy?

I never went trick or treating when I was a kid. Hasn't seemed to get popular in the UK until fairly recently anyway.

I didn't feel guilty or a cheapskate at all. I don't owe random kids knocking on my door anything. Let alone sweets. I didn't grow up with this tradition so I don't recognise it. My parents never put out sweets to give to trick or treaters (we have literally never got one), 4 years living alone at uni was a similar situation, so it never crosses me mind to prepare anything like that.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Kids should get fucking jobs rather than asking for handouts.
A holiday that promotes violence and sending your kids into a diabetic coma should be abolished. Why would I want my kid to dress up as a violent bank robbing criminal or some sexually agressive basketball player just to go door to door to some strangers house so they can fill up on sugary candy? Are these strangers paying for the insulin shots I have to give my kid or the XXL clothes I have to spring for after eating those sugary cancer candies?

Think of the children you sheeple!
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
it is a disgusting promotion of bourgeois values where kids, requiring the least input in production, reap heaps of profit in sweets and chocolate. #banhalloween #makehalloweengreatagain
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Nobody seems to bother with the tricks any more, so why should they get sweets?

They should use the money reserved for their costumes to buy themselves some junk food instead.
I have nothing important to say
harmless fun
especially if the parents are walking with the kids in a safe neighborhood.
last time i went trick or treating I was like 12-13, and I went with a group of friends, so that's also a pretty safe bet, and our neighborhood was fine.

everyone posting above me had shitty childhoods, so they're sour to the fact that kids have more fun than them one night of the year.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I never went trick or treating when I was a kid. Hasn't seemed to get popular in the UK until fairly recently anyway.

I didn't feel guilty or a cheapskate at all. I don't owe random kids knocking on my door anything. Let alone sweets. I didn't grow up with this tradition so I don't recognise it. My parents never put out sweets to give to trick or treaters (we have literally never got one), 4 years living alone at uni was a similar situation, so it never crosses me mind to prepare anything like that.

Fair enough that clears things up, halloween and trick or treating has been popular in the U.S. for decades TBH it is a fun holiday trick or treat for kids and parties for adults (costumed or not) pretty ludicris I suppose considering the origins but fun none the less. Lucrative for candy manufacturers for sure but no more commercialized than other holidays!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 31, 2016,
literally not a big deal.
i have great memories of trick or treating when i was young. it's fun for the kids, and as a homeowner you have no obligation to provide candy if you don't want to.
My mom and I went to church with my aunt one year while spending the weekend in late-October, a guest evangelist was pontificating about the evils of all hallows eve and how it is wrong to allow your children to dress up as witches and demons and go around threatening to perpetrate dastardly tricks as a form of extortion to get free candy.

LOL he seriously said something really close to that.

But the kicker was most of the members of the congregation had already purchased costumes for their kiddies including the church's regular pastor, halloween was an accepted holiday and trick or treating was the norm for this congregation. IIRC the Easter bunny was good to go as well with these folks.

Santa Claus however was forbidden, I can remember how upset other family members used to get when my younger cousin would tell my other younger cousins that Santa was not real and that their parents were lying to them.

How can the Easter bunny be acceptable but Santa is taboo?
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 31, 2016,
Last year a bunch of fucks egged my gf's house and kicked in our jack-o-lanterns. Fuck Halloween.
It was my privilege
Quote by sashki
Is there some tradition about throwing eggs at houses? Cos my house gets egged every halloween by the same group of teenagers and I think that's a crock of shit.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
As an activity it's fine but if anyone has already been to a Halloween event over the weekend they shouldn't be allowed any sweets tonight.

FUCK YOU, EARLY BIRD WANKERS, IT'S A ONE DAY EVENT.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last year I egged somebody's house and kicked in their stupid ass jack-o-lanterns.

That's what they get for handing out apples for Halloween.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I feel like egging people's houses is too cliche. What people should do is kick in some eggs and jack-o-lantern houses. It would be a much more novel (and messy) halloween trick.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
I feel like egging people's houses is too cliche. What people should do is kick in some eggs and jack-o-lantern houses. It would be a much more novel (and messy) halloween trick.

but then wouldn't somebody have to carve an egg

like an egg o lantern

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by M00NAGEDAYDREAM
but then wouldn't somebody have to carve an egg

like an egg o lantern
Maybe they could carve an eggo.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I'm not a fan of Halloween but I remember having fun trick-or-treating as a child so I wouldn't prevent my children from doing the same if they wanted to. I'd be more concerned with their sugar consumption so I'd try to teach them a bit of self-control with what they got from other houses, and I probably would give out something other than candy.
cat
I love putting "a form of begging" in as if asking people for stuff is the greatest threat to mankind.
Death to Ovation haters!
It's actually a form of theft since homeowners are being informed to give candy or receive a "trick," which is a not so thinly veiled threat. Surely this is a degenerate holiday that is corrupting America's youth and causing them to vote Democrat and grow their hair past their shoulders and wear untucked shirts.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
Quote by sashki
Is there some tradition about throwing eggs at houses? Cos my house gets egged every halloween by the same group of teenagers and I think that's a crock of shit.

Fool me once... ...
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
Quote by seanlang01
It's actually a form of theft since homeowners are being informed to give candy or receive a "trick," which is a not so thinly veiled threat. Surely this is a degenerate holiday that is corrupting America's youth and causing them to vote Democrat and grow their hair past their shoulders and wear untucked shirts.

nosfaratuman multi

reported
It was my privilege
Children ought to get jobs and purchase their own candy instead of asking for handouts.
Quote by PatchworkMan
I love putting "a form of begging" in as if asking people for stuff is the greatest threat to mankind.

Yeah

Weird techno music suddenly crests the horizon.

Quote by EyeNon15
Excuse to dress slutty and/or crossdress

Are you complaining?

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Quote by StewieSwan
nosfaratuman multi

reported
multi... or costume?

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
To be honest, it's kind of neat seeing the creative kids come up with their own stuff and usually I'll give them the good candy. The typical ones like heroes and shit just get the basic tootsie and candy corn. But lately there's been a lot of lil girls dressing skanky and I'm like....ehh bitch I'll give you some of my old clothes to fit you like a Jedi robe cuz it's like 34 degrees out.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Americans spend 7 billion dollars a year on Halloween candy. Yet... do I even need to say more?
Page 1 of 2