Hey guys and girls,

My 2000 Gibson SG has rusty machine heads, not all of them but two.

How is best to clean? Wirewool?

Also, what product can I use to keep my metal hardware clean on my guitars?? I dont want this problem in the future.

Thanks alot!

Rob

1991 Fender Strat Ultra, 2000 Gibson SG, 2015 ES335 Studio
Probably the best thing to do is to rinse the grease in the tuners with mineral spirits, submerge the tuners in vinegar, thoroughly rinse them, dry them and refill them with grease. At least doing it this way won't put millions of scratches in the surface of the tuners like attacking them with wire wool will.

To make hardware more rust resistant, throw one of these in your guitar's case.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-vapor-corrosion-inhibitor
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Thanks...

That looks great, but they are not easy to get!!

So I will remove the tunners and polish them up after a good vingering......

What grease?
You can use pretty much any grease you want. Silicon, carbon, it doesn't matter in this context so long as its fairly thick. You're lubricating guitar tuners, not the main shaft bearings of a jet turbine.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

To make hardware more rust resistant, throw one of these in your guitar's case.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dunlop-vapor-corrosion-inhibitor

These are probably obtained most easily from a place like The Rust Store (dot com). They also have rust removal aids. https://www.theruststore.com/
To find the Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors, just access the VCI tab. Swap these out about once a year or so, and obviously, they'll do their work if the guitar is IN the case with the Lid Closed. No, there's nothing to help prevent corrosion if your guitar is sitting on a stand in a room with the window open, etc.

I suggest waxing your entire guitar, including finish and hardware. First choice is something like Johnson's Paste Wax (the one pound tin will last forever) and you will NOT develop 'waxy buildup'. I'll also use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on everything. Easy on, easy off, and available everywhere (Amazon, Walmart, etc.)

T00DEEPBLUE

Haha very funny

I just like to get things right.... My wife might not agree...
Quote by rspelman2003
dspellman

Is that safe to use with nitro cellulose?

While there are some things that react chemically with nitrocellulose lacquer, it's good to remember that the reason Gibson and others used that stuff in the first place was because it was cheap and because it dried faster than the varnishes that were the alternative at the time. The reason it was cheap was that it was also used to paint cars and industrial machinery (no, it doesn't "breathe" and never did, and it is one of the first plastics). I'm using this on nitrocellulose lacquer guitars dating back to the late '40's and up through 2009 (last time I bought a new guitar that uses that finish), and it's been at least a decade. So yes, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is safe.

The VCI's are safe as well (based on a pretty long use history).