Hi, I have a Laney VC15-110 (basically an AC15 clone) which I adore: cleans, crunch and classic British overdrive.

However, I have a couple of songs that need more of a high gain sound - something that you would associate more with a Mesa, Bugera, high gain Marshall, or indeed a Laney Ironheart. Absolutely NOT a scooped metal sound, but definitely high gain/compressed with loads of sustain.

As far as I see it I've a couple of options:

1. Use a boost/overdrive pedal to push the gain channel harder.

2. Use a distortion pedal into the clean channel.

Which is the better option and do people have any recommended pedals that I might consider?

For the record I'm using mainly an HSS strat with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and an Epi Les Paul Custom which also has medium-high output pickups.
Will Lane The first time I posted I got a message saying "We can't find that page", so I tried again Will see if I can delete the second one. Apologies.
Quote by nstrug
Will Lane The first time I posted I got a message saying "We can't find that page", so I tried again Will see if I can delete the second one. Apologies.
You can delete by going to your original post in the thread, clicking the post number counter in the upper right corner, and of course clicking delete message.
Well this was the second thread you made, the "medium gain amp" was the first one. Oh well, here is my post from the first one.
Quote by nstrug
1. Use a boost/overdrive pedal to push the gain channel harder.

2. Use a distortion pedal into the clean channel.
Either one works, or somewhat a combination of the two. I set my AC30 on edge-of-breakup, still clean but with a bit of grit when you dig in to the strings, and use pedals to boost it into different gain territories. I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 to get Marshall-esque sounds out of the AC, FD3 would be fine too.
I'd go with an OD into distorted amp so your base tone doesn't change too much. The MXR custom badass distortion is good for that.
www.facebook.com/yourbadinfluence
Shurh Riot
Xotic Brute Drive
Mesa Full Throttle

Any of those could fit the bill.
It depends on what gets you the 'metal' tone you want. You can try pushing your amp with an OD but it may still not give you the distortion sound you are looking for, in that case get a good distortion pedal and throw in on the clean channel. You are going to have to hear it with your amp to decide which option works best.
yeah you can use either, as everyone's said it just depends on what type of tone you want and which works best for the type of tone you want.

as will said, you can also do a sort of combination of the two- you can use a distortion pedal into the overdrive channel too, and you may (or may not) prefer how that sounds. Or use an od to boost a distortion pedal into either the clean or overdrive channel. etc. etc.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by guitarsngear
It depends on what gets you the 'metal' tone you want. You can try pushing your amp with an OD but it may still not give you the distortion sound you are looking for, in that case get a good distortion pedal and throw in on the clean channel. You are going to have to hear it with your amp to decide which option works best.

I agree. I also like the Budda Zenman but if that won't do it look into something like a Wampler Triple Wreck.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
^ Where is nstrug in the world? If he's in the UK (he may well not be, but Laneys tend to be most common here so there's a reasonable chance he is), you can get a Jet City amp for not much more (in fact, probably less) than a Wampler pedal. Which is hilarious (in one way, in another it's very annoying if you like Wampler pedals ). I know he maybe doesn't want another amp but if you're considering pedals at that kind of money...

The other thing is, as far as I'm aware the VC15 isn't an AC15 clone. I could be wrong but I don't think it's cathode-biased for a start- a lot of people see the EL84s and think "Vox", but I don't think it's actually all that Voxy. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't make it a worse amp or anything, just pointing that out.

I guess, what's your budget, nstrug?
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Budget is important. Like Dave_MC said, some amps can be had for not much more than a pedal, and A/B not only would satisfy your need, but also tingle in all the right places as you tell everyone at your gig how two amps is the only way to "Get your tone".
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
^ Yeah. I mean, I'm not saying he should get a new amp necessarily- he might not have room, might not want to cart two amps around, etc. etc. all of which are perfectly reasonable and sensible objections. I was more making the point that buying a pedal that costs nearly as much as his current amp, and as much as another amp which will do that sound (and likely do it better than the pedal) might not be the best plan.

If he had that kind of money for the pedal he could always sell the vc15, add the wampler pedal money, and buy a better amp which might do all of what he wants (or might not, even expensive amps which try to do everything have compromises). It's just worth bearing in mind, that's all.

You need to watch with pedals- they're awesome, but they're almost too easy to buy and too easy to chalk up as an impulse/"just a bit of fun" purchase (and I'm certainly guilty of that, too). You also have to watch you're not buying them as band-aids for a bigger, more fundamental problem with your rig, which might not really solve your problem well enough to be happy. Buy a few cheap pedals to keep things interesting and you could've bought a better pedal... buy enough (especially dearer pedals) and you could maybe have just bought a better rig overall.

Of course, i'm not saying pedals are bad, they're awesome (and depending on what you use them for you may genuinely need them even if you have a suitable amp). I'm just saying it's worth bearing all that in mind.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc

Lot's of truth to this. My favorite distortion pedal is the channel select switch - that's why I bought a versatile Mesa Roadster. . . .
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Yeah. I mean, I'm not saying he should get a new amp necessarily- he might not have room, might not want to cart two amps around, etc. etc. all of which are perfectly reasonable and sensible objections. I was more making the point that buying a pedal that costs nearly as much as his current amp, and as much as another amp which will do that sound (and likely do it better than the pedal) might not be the best plan.

It's always the best plan unless space is an issue. VC15 and GH50/100 would sound great. I've currently sold up my amps to get an A/B rig. Me and my partner are looking at 2 bedroom apartments so I can have a room for my stuff, if this wasn't the case and I was in OPs situation, i'd probably sell the VC15 and buy a cheap Jet City off Thomann

Must admit i'm not the biggest "Amp in a box" fan either. would rather have some really sold drive pedals and something like a Rat and a fuzz that work with the amp as opposed to try and make it something different.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
^ Yeah. I guess it depends on how much he needs the high gain thing- if it's one song in a set then a jet city probably isn't the best idea. if he used to prefer lower gain tones and now mainly wants high gain tones, though, then it's definitely worth considering.

I like some amp in a box pedals, again it depends on what the actual situation is, but I'd agree that I'd generally prefer to have the amp.

Quote by metalmingee
Dave_Mc

Lot's of truth to this. My favorite distortion pedal is the channel select switch - that's why I bought a versatile Mesa Roadster. . . .

yeah same here- although of course some types of distortion tones are achieved with pedals, not amps, and that's a different thing. If the distortion you want is the kind which is usually generated by a high gain tube amp (maybe with a boost in front), then I agree, the best way to get that is the high gain tube amp.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 3, 2016,
Go visit the WamperPedals (dot com) site. Not cheap, but some of the best pedals on the market, and some pretty decent videos to go along with it.
If I can't talk you into using one of the multi-FX pedals (high gain is so simple with some of the amp choices on the Pod XT, for example) and if you're devoted to individual pedals, Wampler is one of the best. The thing is, you don't have to overdrive your preamp stage (though that's one way to do things) to get what you need.