So i'm going to buy an electric guitar after I've learned how to play well enough (i'm borrowing a friends right now) and I mostly listen to dark pop, alternative/folk/Indie/experimental rock, neofolk and metal (rarely) etc
Here are some examples off the top of my head -
AURORA - Lucky, Under The Water, Murder song (album version), Winter Bird
Daughter - Winter, The End, To Belong, Alone/With You
Foals - Spanish Sahara, Give It All, London Thunder, Alabaster
The Neighbourhood - Afraid, RIP 2 My Youth, Alleyways

And other bands like Broods, EDEN, XLYO, Agnes Obel, A Perfect Circle, Gojira (rarely) Ruelle and Ronitt. I'd also like to play tracks from Hans Zimmer, Lorne Balfe, John Williams and other composers like them.
My budget is quite high so that won't be a problem and I only want to buy one. Any solid advice would be appreciated because i've heard a lot mixed opinions.
go to a music store that carries those guitars and play them...play as many brands as you can..see what you like..also..don't overlook used guitars..some may be in very good shape..with a pro setup and perhaps some new pups..you may find a jewel
play well

wolf
Get a strat style guitar with an HSS configuration - that will provide you the best versatility. The neck single coil is crucial for good clean tones and the bridge humbucker will provide decent overdrivren tones.

Either go with a Strat or, if you have the money, a Silhouette Special from Musicman or a Suhr or Xotic guitar - which are all premium strat style guitars ( with better necks) .
A tele with a bridge humbucker and neck single coil will also fit the bill. I prefer Strats for the tremolo.
I would go HSS strat, something like a Squier, to cover the wide range of styles that interest you. However as a beginner, I most definitely wouldn't go expensive until you really know what you want, and because "more" is not the same as "better". - My favourite guitar cost Oz$65 from the local hock shop, no mods needed.

What are you doing for an amp? That is more important than the guitar, and IMO should be considered first.

Also budget for a set up.
What kind of budget for guitar & amp (each), realistically?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by reverb66
Get a strat style guitar with an HSS configuration - that will provide you the best versatility. The neck single coil is crucial for good clean tones and the bridge humbucker will provide decent overdrivren tones.

Either go with a Strat or, if you have the money, a Silhouette Special from Musicman or a Suhr or Xotic guitar - which are all premium strat style guitars ( with better necks) .

Or HSH

But yeah I think for such a wide range, considering he only wants one (!), having both humbuckers and single coils would be the thing.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Variax are probably the most versatile standalone guitars, but there's a lot of electronics built into them.
After that, a MIDI-based guitar is versatile, but requires external electronics to get the guitarist to that functionality.

In the end, don't buy a guitar based on your musical tastes. Good guitarists can do nearly anything *with* nearly anything. Strats, teles and LPs permeate nearly every genre of guitar music these days, and most other guitars are variations of those three, whether through differences of body shape, pickup configuration or scale.

alhaq369
Quote by dspellman

In the end, don't buy a guitar based on your musical tastes.

I disagree. Unless you're going down the variaxe route you suggested, having a guitar which is suitable for the type(s) of music you're playing really helps. Granted, it does sort of depend on what you mean by that- your last sentence suggested that you were only really talking about body shapes there and didn't really count different pickup types... in which case I'd tend to agree. I wouldn't really want to use an SSS strat with really low output vintage-style single coilf for really heavy stuff, but a superstrat with a bridge humbucker I'd be absolutely fine with (in fact that might even be my first choice).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

go pla a LP , Tele and strat .... find out what shape fits/ most comfortable for your body best .... then get that model with the pick ups you need for the music you play
^ yeah i think that's probably what dspellman meant, and if so, then i agree.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Get a guitar that fits your body...not your "musical taste." If you cant comfortably get your hands around the neck or access the frets easily or if the contours make it uncomfortable against your body then It doesn't matter if the guitar matches your "taste."

You find a guitar that fits you well and you'll be able to play anything.
creepybeaver8139

Based on the music that you listen to I would highly recommend a Tele. Extremely versatile. Really easy to get them to sound however you want them to sound. Strat is a little too twangy for it to be as malleable as a Tele.

Les Pauls are nice but much more expensive. Don't settle for an Ephiphone Les Paul they don't sound nearly as good as a Mexican Tele which will be around the same price.
You know of course the guitar could care less what music you like and wish to play with it right? A guitar is a guitar, To a certain extent of course, As yes some do have a personality all they're own although you add the attitude, but in the end its still a guitar, Think of it like a dog, Basically once adopted you tend to love, hate or just ignore it, The outcome is up to your involvement and dedication of being a pet owner, Same applies to a guitar and amp, Can I suggest what's right for you? Of course not, I can let you come over and play my guitars and see if you like them, I do and that's why I still have them, In the last 40 years I've had over 100 guitars and half as many amps, I'm down to 8 guitars and 3 amps, What makes you think you wont have the same story 40 years from now?
Quoting myself from elsewhere:

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Yep. These guys are doing it ALL wrong!

Mike Hampton plays funk on BC Rich guitars

John 5 likes Telecasters for metal

Lonnie Mack plays Blues & C&W on Flying Vs

alhaq369