Hey guys,

I haven't touched my guitars in years and I've decided I wish to pick them up again and learn to play... for something like the third time.

I'm wondering what areas I should begin with, what type of techniques I should avoid to start off with, what some key exercises would be for me to get my hands in shape, etc, etc.

Any tips and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
I'm open to anything really, as long as I'm growing and learning.
I just want to get started... It's overwhelming trying to figure out where to start again.
OK. To really succeed, you have to want to play music, not the guitar. The driving force has to be the music, not the instrument. So what song(s) would you really like to play?
Quote by knifegrinder
Hotel California. reminds me of my grandpa that just passed..
great starting point

To play songs you need chords before anything else so work on those...I wouldn't maybe jump straight into Hotel California but look at stuff like House of the Rising Sun, Knocking in Heavens Door and pretty much anything by Credence Clearwater Revival.

Start by learning the basic chord accompaniments to the songs, then when you're feeling comfortable look at the tabs so you can play the exact guitar part last with embellishments, fills and stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
great starting point

To play songs you need chords before anything else so work on those...I wouldn't maybe jump straight into Hotel California but look at stuff like House of the Rising Sun, Knocking in Heavens Door and pretty much anything by Credence Clearwater Revival.

Start by learning the basic chord accompaniments to the songs, then when you're feeling comfortable look at the tabs so you can play the exact guitar part last with embellishments, fills and stuff.

I'm relatively comfortable with the chords... It's been a long time since I've played but I haven't forgotten my basic chords! But that's a great type. I think I'll do that.

Thank you!
In that case you should feel back in the swing of things in no time
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I play two of the three suggested by Mark. I can't play "Knocking..." because I just end up wanting to emulate Slash, which isn't productive given my limited (er, absent) electric solo skills.

The simplicity of the standard blues format offers plenty of opportunities to experiment with improvisation and expression, and given that you like " House....", might appeal to you.
Most definitely.. I remember years ago when i was in highschool i played bob dylan's knocking on heavens door for a coffee house along with some neil young.. what a blast.

i'm definitely excited to play again. i learned the chords to hotel california, i just need to learn the appergios and figure that out. i haven't practised as much as i want but whenever i have a chance i make sure i do the chord progression to help keep me in it.

thanks everyone