Hi everyone,
I'm wanting to purchase my first guitar. I have an opportunity to purchase the Aspen A18 guitar for $150 Canadian. I was wondering if this brand was any good for a beginner guitar player. Furthermore is the asking price decent or am I being over charged? It does not come with a case or anything else.

Thanks
It could be worth the asking price if it is playable, or can be made playable. The problem is that the geometry of acoustic guitars deteriorate with age due to string tension, and they can become unplayable, and cost-effectively unfixable.
Tony Done
It's supposed to be playable and a few years old and the person was going to set it up for me. The thing is: I can't find any information on this brand. I would be purchasing it second hand therefore I don't know if $150 is a good price. Or if I should try for another better known brand such as Yahmah.
As far as I can judge, Yamahas start at about $250 in Canada. My take on it is that provided it can be set up decently, it would be hard to go wrong at $150, but that is really only a guess.
Quote by crazywildguit
Tony Done
It's supposed to be playable and a few years old and the person was going to set it up for me. The thing is: I can't find any information on this brand. I would be purchasing it second hand therefore I don't know if $150 is a good price. Or if I should try for another better known brand such as Yahmah.

TTBOMK Aspen guitars were made in Japan in the 1970's and 1980's so I suspect it's going to be more than "a few years old".

HST it could be a good guitar. The only way of knowing is to try before you buy but, of course, that is often not possible. So if you go for it without being able to check it out you could end up with a not so good guitar - that's often the risk you have to take when buying blind. But, after all, $150 Canadian is not a huge amount to spend on a guitar.

Here is a link to one sold a few years ago - gives some info on the brand:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1970s-japan-aspen-ad-18-dreadnaught-143253992
Last edited by Garthman at Nov 1, 2016,
Garthman

I found that same reference. I also found a Blue Book listing for an A-18 as well as the AD-18 (I had thought the OP may have been a typo), but no distinguishing details, and no price unless you pay for it.
Quote by crazywildguit
It's supposed to be playable and a few years old and the person was going to set it up for me. The thing is: I can't find any information on this brand. I would be purchasing it second hand therefore I don't know if $150 is a good price.
AFAIK, human nature being what it is, anything which is for sale, would be "playable", at least as far as the seller is concerned.. And IMHO, a novice shouldn't even try to buy a used guitar by themselves, unless he or she has a friend with them, or has taken the time to learn and understand what the neck angle, action height, and a couple of other factors are supposed to be. (Plus has the strength to walk away if all is not right).

Quote by crazywildguit
Or if I should try for another better known brand such as Yahmah.
WTF were you trying to spell there? "Yo-mama-Ha maybe?

FWIW, Epiphone has a couple of all laminate guitars which have decent reputations in the price range you're looking to pay for the Aspen. PR-100 & PR-150 are the model numbers, IIRC.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 1, 2016,
Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer my question. I think I may try to buy something brand new since I will have the manufacturer's warranty and I am less apt to get stuck with a lemon. Thank you also CaptainCranky for the suggestion of the Epiphone PR-100 & PR-150 online. When the stores open tomorrow, I'm going to call them up and see if they have them. I don't know much about guitars but there is one thing I do know: never buy a guitar online since one never knows if A) its been set up properly and B) what it is going to sound like.
Like CC says, if you can get some help from an experienced acoustic player, so much the better. FWIW, the first thing I do with a prospective acoustic purchase is check the neck angle.