Page 1 of 2
I'm currently looking at a Moog MiniFooger MF Drive, I'd just like to know if there is better out there for the same or cheaper price? I'm not looking for anything too heavy, but i would like a nice range of effects.. I also like the expression pedal jack on the minifooger, which pared with exp pedal is supossed to double as a bit of a wah, does anyone have any experience with this?

I'm using epiphone les paul custom through a vox amp
You have a Vox Valvetronix? While I consider them one of the better modelers on the market, I would suggest to get a better amp first before investing in pedals.

Some fun OD units, though:

EHX Soul Food (Klone)
Chellee Ponyboy (Better Klone)
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 or 3
Will Lane Yes a valvetronix, i am aware that i new amp may be in order... but I do a lot of gigs and the like with different amplifiers, that is mainly my practice amp. The soul food is definitely in contention, it looks good for the price. The expression pedal feature on the Moog is a very attractive feature though and one the EHX does not support. Do you have any experience with this feature??

as for the other 2, i will have to look into them a little bit more, Thanks
Last edited by djlewis2 at Nov 1, 2016,
you'll likely get disappointed especially at the price point that moog pedal is at. modeling amps don't react the same as a tube amp to overdrive pedals and often don't play nice with pedals at all. doesn't the valvetronix have a built in overdrive in the FX? I would try a far cheaper pedal first and see what happens rather than spend big money. what amps do you normally gig with (and yes I understand that they are venue provided)
Generally Amps like fender hot rods or marshalls. The valvetronix does have built in effects although the quality is rather average. I have deinitely been weighing up the EHX soul food, do you have experience with this pedal? there are lots of great review out their for it...and it would also leave some money in my pocket. already having a loop pedal, what would you suggest i should look at after an overdrive?
The Soul Food does the Klone clean-boost thing really well, but once you start adding a lot of gain the sound becomes unusable imo. For the price thought it cannot be beat.
Cool thanks, I think that will be the way to go. I'm definitely looking at price, The fact that i can get it for $160 compared to $270 should leave a bit more room to put into other pedals. Would a Wah then be a good choice to go next or should i go more mainstream and get a reverb or delay?
$160 for a Soul food I take it you're not in the US cuz that seems like a pretty steep price. yes a wah would be a great idea as that isn't something that is built into your amp.
I like the soul food. I've heard some complaints about EHX build quality, though. But the sound is good, and you get a nice buffer (or true bypass, there's a wee switch inside to pick) into the bargain too- i bought it because it was barely any dearer than a nice standalone buffer and you get a nice pedal too FWIW unlike will i think its overdrive tone is pretty decent too, and it has a pretty wide gain range- not really into metal territory but it'll do from a genuine clean boost up to rock/hard rock.

that price sounds pretty steep for it, but i guess depending on where you are that might just be what things cost unfortunately They've gone up a little since I got mine but if IIRC I got mine for like £38 new (about $60 maybe?)...
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Yes, I'm in Australia so the price looks a fair bit different. are there any Wah's in particular you guys would suggest?
diabolical Sorry bro, I can't find the BBE in Australia, would there be any others you might suggest?
diabolical Yup none at all, I can find Ibanez or maxon and a few other ts's but thats about it. I've just come across the 'Carl Martin DC Drive' Do you or anyone else know anything about this one. It looks quite good and has a clean boost in it as well?
Don't know the pedal, but I DO know Carl Martin generally makes good stuff. I have an Octa-switch...may buy another.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
diabolical
Yeah? Awesome... This one is definitely the top option now, does anyone else have any thought on this pedal?

Or any Wah pedals that people think might suit...Nothing to expensive, $100-160 AUD Range?
I agree with Diabolical, I own two Valveronix amps and use a variety of Ibanez TS pedals on them (TS9, TS10 (the best TS IMO) and TS 7). They work good for me but then again I am only using them for classic rock sounds. Maybe they don't sound as good for a metal types of distortion. Just my opinion.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Mad Professor One

It's great distortion pedal that has revern to boot I love mine.

For OD I use an 80's Ibanez TS9 built by Maxxon

http://www.mpamp.com/factory-pedals/1-factory-pedal/
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

look at Morley Wahs. I use either a Classic or Power wah and many use the Bad Horsie
Quote by Dave_Mc
I like the soul food. I've heard some complaints about EHX build quality, though. But the sound is good, and you get a nice buffer (or true bypass, there's a wee switch inside to pick) into the bargain too- i bought it because it was barely any dearer than a nice standalone buffer and you get a nice pedal too FWIW unlike will i think its overdrive tone is pretty decent too, and it has a pretty wide gain range- not really into metal territory but it'll do from a genuine clean boost up to rock/hard rock.

that price sounds pretty steep for it, but i guess depending on where you are that might just be what things cost unfortunately They've gone up a little since I got mine but if IIRC I got mine for like £38 new (about $60 maybe?)...

Agreed. I think it sounds great throughout the range. Mind you it's not a ton of OD but it's enough for most cases.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ Yeah I mean it's not really what I'd call an out-and-out distortion pedal type of tone, but it has a wider gain range than most overdrive pedals. (Granted, its circuit design is arguably closer to a distortion pedal with the clippers to ground, albeit softer germanium clippers )
Quote by djlewis2
diabolical Yup none at all, I can find Ibanez or maxon and a few other ts's but thats about it. I've just come across the 'Carl Martin DC Drive' Do you or anyone else know anything about this one. It looks quite good and has a clean boost in it as well?

there should be loads of tubescreamer clones around. which pedal brands are available locally? odds are some of them have a ts clone.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Most brands i can get locally, I can get a ts. There is plenty of Ibanez and maxon and a few others around, but i don't think im looking for a tubescreamer. i want something that can deliver a more 'overdrive' tone than a distortion but also has a good range in either direction. I like the carl martin with 'regular and fat' modes on it. so I can have a range, mostly because i don't play 'metal rock' and i don't want to spend too much and have an overdrive and a distortion pedal on my board.
Quote by djlewis2
Most brands i can get locally, I can get a ts. There is plenty of Ibanez and maxon and a few others around, but i don't think im looking for a tubescreamer. i want something that can deliver a more 'overdrive' tone than a distortion but also has a good range in either direction. I like the carl martin with 'regular and fat' modes on it. so I can have a range, mostly because i don't play 'metal rock' and i don't want to spend too much and have an overdrive and a distortion pedal on my board.

TS is pretty much the definition of a "overdriven" sound so I'm a bit confused. if I'm not mistaken the "fat" is just a mids eq shift.
Quote by diabolical
The classic mode is ts simulation, the fat is full range, yes. The CM is very good quality pedal, I personally prefer it to the Obanez and Maxon.

Wah - Morley as suggested is very nice, instant on when you step on it.

only the Bad Horsey does the step and its on thing. the others have the switch on the side of the pedal. takes some getting used to but is great for cocked wah sounds and if you don't want to start with treble all the way up like a standard wah.
Quote by monwobobbo
TS is pretty much the definition of a "overdriven" sound so I'm a bit confused. if I'm not mistaken the "fat" is just a mids eq shift.

my apologies for the bad description... I was more referring to the possible range i could get out of the pedals. something from what i can see the ts doesn't give a lot of... especially compared to something like the carl martin.

Are Vox Wah's any good, they are relitively mainstream and Vox doesnt seem to make great stompbox style pedals, but they are cheap?
Quote by monwobobbo
TS is pretty much the definition of a "overdriven" sound so I'm a bit confused.

i think he meant he wanted something with a bigger gain range than a ts. but i could be wrong.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Dave_Mc
i think he meant he wanted something with a bigger gain range than a ts. but i could be wrong.

Very much right, I started with "More 'overdrive' tone" I wasn't trying to Imply that that the TS didn't have the overdrive but that i wanted an overdrive, like the TS, but with more range as Dave MC said.
Quote by djlewis2
Very much right, I started with "More 'overdrive' tone" I wasn't trying to Imply that that the TS didn't have the overdrive but that i wanted an overdrive, like the TS, but with more range as Dave MC said.

ok look for a used Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive (now out of production but easy to find) this has all the positives of a TS, better EQ setup and mas a MOD switch which ups the gain. both settings re very usable for pushing a Drive channel or a Clean channel on an amp. it's my go to pedal these days
Late to the conversation here but are there any Budda Zenmans where you are? Multi voiced tubescreamer and a clean boost in one housing - 2 switches.

I went with a Morley Bad Horsie 2 on the wah thanks to this forum.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Quote by monwobobbo
ok look for a used Digitech Hardwire CM-2 overdrive (now out of production but easy to find) this has all the positives of a TS, better EQ setup and mas a MOD switch which ups the gain. both settings re very usable for pushing a Drive channel or a Clean channel on an amp. it's my go to pedal these days

yep good call
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by metalmingee
Late to the conversation here but are there any Budda Zenmans where you are? Multi voiced tubescreamer and a clean boost in one housing - 2 switches.

Sorry, nothing around here

Quote by monwobobbo

Had a look at this one, its got a lot going for it. I'll be putting it in the mix, ill have to do some comparisons though
Quote by djlewis2
Sorry, nothing around here

Had a look at this one, its got a lot going for it. I'll be putting it in the mix, ill have to do some comparisons though

well these are all suggestions so get what works for you.
other options would be the ehx soul food, or maybe one of the cheaper OCD clones. Neither is a tubescreamer, though.

^ yeah absolutely, you have to find what you like yourself- we're only suggesting stuff which might work, and then (if it's available locally) maybe you can get to try it to see what you think.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I'm a fan of the Visual Sound (now TrueTone) Jekyll & Hyde. It's a TS-based OD and a distortion circuit in one pedal. Very useful tones reside within.

With a bit more range for a bit more money, the Red Witch Famulus is another OD/Dist pedal worthy of consideration.

For pure, well-made and flexible ODs, there are the Thorpy FX Gunshot and Peacekeeper pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Thanks for all the help guys, I've ended up buying th Carl Martim DC Drive. It's working great for me
^ sweet

^^ i think the newest version of the J&H has the open road (Nobels ODR-1-based) as the jekyll side now.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Dave_Mc interesting. Don't know jack about the Nobels...but I may find out. I recently bought the V3 version of the H20 because I love my V2; I may do likewise with the J&H.

Do you know what's in the VS-XO?

alhaq369
Page 1 of 2