So I have a sheffield 1x12 speaker that came with my Peavey 6505+combo thats just laying around. I also have tons of plywood. Im going to build a cabinet with the plywood. I know its not gonna be amazing, but the point is to spend nothing on the cabinet and use up some stuff I have laying around

Right now im gonna use it along with the 6505 cab with a vintage 30 in it for a total of 2x12. But eventually I will get a cheap used amp head so that I can use the cabinet I build for an electric acoustic guitar. The final plan is for an electric acoustic

Here are my 3 questions:

- Can I get some tips on how to build the cabinet? dimensions, cover the back or leave it open, etc... I want good sound for an electric acoustic. Songs like Snuff-Slipknot, and Nothing Else Matters- Metallica. Warm deep tone but having responsiveness

- What budget head should I look for (less than $100 bucks, like $50) needs to run a 1x12. Im not playing gigs, no super high volume needed. Essentially, how many watts should be my MINIMUM?

- When I plug it into my 6505+ and run 2x12, should I put the 6505 on 8 ohms? it has 4,8, and 16. (ill be using the 1x12 in the combo and the external 1x12 cab im making)
If you're going to build a 2x12, and if there's chance you'll want to amplify an acoustic, you might want to look at this cabinet http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html and use what you like, abandon what you don't. I built a pair of these exactly as spec'd (including the tweeters, which are a great idea for acoustic-electric.

Look around the rest of the site and see what you can find that might also work well.

I suggest more power rather than less, even if you're playing in your bedroom.
dspellman

Im building a 1x12 unit. I will use the seperate 1x12 unit with my combo unit for a total of 2x12.

But thats just untill I get another amp head for the 1x12 cab I make for the acoustic setup. The 1x12 cab can be used for many purposes

Thanks for the info, will help construction for sure
Quote by imarcelletti
dspellman

Im building a 1x12 unit. I will use the seperate 1x12 unit with my combo unit for a total of 2x12.

But thats just untill I get another amp head for the 1x12 cab I make for the acoustic setup. The 1x12 cab can be used for many purposes

Thanks. I wasn't clear on what you were trying to accomplish.
You can essentially build a 1x12 out of half of that 2x12 set of plans. You may want to do that based on your acoustic plans. Most acoustic amps have a wider frequency range. They're set up for lower lows and much higher highs. If you run an acoustic through a standard guitar amp, you'll usually find it pretty muffled. Thus, you'll find acoustic amps with closed-back ported cabinets and (usually) a crossover and a tweeter for high-end. Check the specs for this series of acoustic guitar amps: http://carvinaudio.com/collections/acoustic-series
dspellman

Thanks, I did not know how acoustic amps were different. I will look into Carvin, ive always liked their stuff so far