I just got a new guitar and am looking to upgrade the pickups (both humbuckers). I was wondering if anyone knew of some more obscure or different pickups that are interesting. My older guitar has the usual EMG 81-85 combo, and I have ran the gamut of Seymour Duncan pickups. I was going to buy some Tesla AH-3s, but apparently they have gone out of business now.

I usually prefer active pickups, but am not against a passive as long as it still has a good tone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
First, what makes you say Tesla has gone under?

Second, consider Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers or their signature HB series-
all are by metal guitarists.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
First, what makes you say Tesla has gone under?

Second, consider Lace Alumitone Deathbuckers or their signature HB series-
all are by metal guitarists.

Probably a fair guess considering their site is offline and their facebook hasn't been updated in over a year.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i'll second looking at Lace Sensor's various pickups as they fit the bill and are often overlooked.
dannyalcatraz Tesla website is offline and can only find them for sale on 2nd hand or 3rd party sites, unfortunately. I haven't heard of Lace Alumitone before! Thanks for the recommendation. I will look at their website soon, but do you know if there are any demonstrations or tone comparison videos for them?
H4T3BR33D3R Exact reasons why. I was waiting to buy them until I got my second guitar, in case I didn't like the tone, and seems like I have waited too long... damn it.
Quote by ncmetalguitar88
dannyalcatraz Tesla website is offline and can only find them for sale on 2nd hand or 3rd party sites, unfortunately. I haven't heard of Lace Alumitone before! Thanks for the recommendation. I will look at their website soon, but do you know if there are any demonstrations or tone comparison videos for them?

they have vids of their pups on the site and they are pretty good in demonstrating the sounds you can expect.
Man, I was looking at Tesla's website just a couple weeks ago.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Check out the Fishman Fluence pickups. They've sounded great in the demo's I've heard. Railhammer does cool stuff as well.
Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Man, I was looking at Tesla's website just a couple weeks ago.

Do you still have a contact number or email? Maybe you can give them a shout?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R

Good idea, and just did. No response, but no bounce, either.

alhaq369
I keep forgetting the Fluence pickups.

alhaq369
Seymour Duncan Black Winters. They're uncommon, new, and unexplored.
dannyalcatraz I remember looking at their site pretty recently too. More than a few weeks though, maybe 4-5 months? Really sucks that they are not around anymore.
Quote by RobertasACDC

I wouldn't say unexplored; lots of people have them now. And they rip...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
How about the EMG 57/66 or the Het set?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Aw Just throw a nice set of Bare Knuckles in that puppy, And while your at it route the body for a GraphTech Ghost Hexpander and buy yourself a nice Roland GR-55, That should cover all the bases
Quote by RobertasACDC
KailM I feel like they'll gradually replace the Nazgūls.

Possibly. I think they're more versatile than the Nazgul. Though I really want to try a Nazgul, by most accounts it is a love it or hate it pickup (mostly people love it though). I haven't heard that with the Black Winter -- most people that try them seem to be really happy; I know I am. What surprised me about the BW set was how good the cleans are, and how touch responsive they can be despite being pretty hot and aggressive. They work well for most styles of music, not just extreme metal.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Wylde Pickups L500XLs are great pups for metal.

http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

Scroll down to find the L500Xls
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Do you still have a contact number or email? Maybe you can give them a shout?

I contacted Tesla over emails, their facebook page and even tried to ge in touch with some dealers, and all i got was silence. So i think its safe to say they are gone.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
How recently and over what period of time, gorkyporky?

I ask, because when I was considering using some of their pickups in a custom, I emailed them and several other makers. They took @ a week longer to respond than anyone else- they were at a trade show.

alhaq369
I've heard good things from other UGers. And with a Brexit discount...

alhaq369
Not looking good for Tesla. Got a mailer alert saying it will try for 1 more day...

alhaq369
Quote by diabolical
I wouldn't call Seymour Duncans' uncommon, it is one of the most popular brands after all

Quote by RobertasACDC

He meant that model, not all SDs :-)
Quote by dannyalcatraz
How recently and over what period of time, gorkyporky?

I ask, because when I was considering using some of their pickups in a custom, I emailed them and several other makers. They took @ a week longer to respond than anyone else- they were at a trade show.

It was a few months ago i belive.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Thanks for all the input everyone!!! I am pretty sure that I am leaning towards the Fishman Fluence Modern Ceramic, or the Lace Deathbucker. Honestly it is so hard to decide that I might just replace the EMG-81 Bridge in my old guitar with the Fishman and put the Deathbucker in the new guitar bridge.
Go with Deathbuckers (which are passives) if your ideal tone resembles who you get from EMGs. If not, Fluence should be a good option.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Go with Deathbuckers (which are passives) if your ideal tone resembles who you get from EMGs. If Filuence should be a good option.
Honestly the EMGs have been getting muddy lately. I play Standard C tuning and sometimes drop to Bb, so it is just kind of too much gain in them. The tone on the Fishman was insane in the demos (Ola Eglund and Ryan Bruce), so I was thinking of putting those on my new guitar that I am going to keep in Standard E and Dropped D, and put the Deathbuckers in my lower tuned guitar.
Deathbuckers are able to clean up nicely...but as I recall, so should EMGs. Perhaps your EQ is off or you're using too much gain.

alhaq369
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Deathbuckers are able to clean up nicely...but as I recall, so should EMGs. Perhaps your EQ is off or you're using too much gain.
Definitely not the gain, its only at about 12-1 oclock. EQ is a possible problem. I am not playing a live rig right now, just studio playing on my Eleven Rack. DCModern SOD amp sim, Bass is around 12, mids around 1-2, and highs around 2-3. I dunno, after looking up all of these pickups I have the new gear bug. lol. If I don't like the new sounds I guess I could always change back.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Not looking good for Tesla. Got a mailer alert saying it will try for 1 more day...

And it is official.

alhaq369