Page 1 of 2
First off, I didnt see an amp forum so its here...

I like to play Pantera, Metallica (thrash era), Megadeth, and Slipknot. I have always had a line 6 spider 2 75w amp untill I bought the Peavey 6505+112 combo, 60W.

Im not about insane distortion, its not a distortion problem im having, its tone and how the amp reacts. I like snappy response, deep ground shaking palm mutes. When I play chords I like them to be clear but dirty. I really like that fuzzy crunch style distortion Dimebag has on the Vulgar Display Of Power album.

I put in a Celestion Vintage 30 (broken in) and did check all the tubes. I have a decent TONE out of it. But when I use my Electroharmonix Metal Muff pedal on the amps clean channel it completely blows it away. The peavy sounds dull and almost like the speaker isnt moving, It has a very limited tone and when I chug/palm mute its bland and weak. It has a distorted tone but acts and responds like its on the clean channel. Its like the speaker becomes stiff or strangled whenever I use the amps distortion. Thats the best way I can describe the sound. Its loud, but weak/hollow

When i use the metal muff it sounds like the speaker is about to explode and it is VERY responsive and snappy. It shakes the ground around me with each palm mute. And yes, I adjusted it to equal volume. Not only that but the metal muff has WAY more actual distortion. I have the peavey on 7 (preamp) and about 4 (post). The only problem with the metal muff pedal is that it becomes too distorted and blends everything together too much at times.

I should also mention that above 4 on volume, the amp (when using the amps distortion, no pedal) starts be become very boxy and looses its composure. It almost looses distortion. It sounds clean(sounds like it looses distortion) and the responsiveness is lazy with NO snappyness

And I have had friends check it out and say it sounds like crap. The 6505's at guitar center sound almost the same, weak.

So my question is, is my 6505 and broken somehow? Why is it considered a great metal amp when its really not great at all...for anything? Its just that it literally sounds awful and weak... Plus after hours of adjusting, I feel like it sounds like crap, tone wise, unless I have it very specifically dialed in.

My other gear is an epiphone SG and a Dean custom run #7 with Dimebuckers.

I should mention that I DO NOT use the effects loop. I tried running the guitar right into the amp without pedals between and it makes no difference in sound. So thats not the problem.

Thanks, I would really like to figure this out. I hear people saying that it blows them away with a pre amp level of 4. I would like to experience that and make this amp work right.
First off, the forum you were looking for is GG&A here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

Second, any way you can post a link? It's possible you just DONT like the Peavey, but we should make sure that it isn't an issue wit the amp. I will say, if Dime's sound is your standard, then you won't like the Peavey. Dime had a *ahem* unique sound.

FWIW, bands such as Carcass, Arch Enemy, The Black Dahlia Murder, and COUNTLESS other very heavy bands use the Peavey to great effect. It's quite possible you just don't like the amp.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Sounds like the tubes are old/bad. How long have you had the amp? What are your EQ settings?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)

Amps:
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 212
Peavey 5150 212 with V30s
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver
Quote by metalmingee
Sounds like the tubes are old/bad. How long have you had the amp? What are

your EQ settings?

my thoughts as well. also if you have the preamp gain on 7 then that's one of your problems right there. really no need to have it that high and of course the distortion turns to mush. lower the gain get an overdrive and I think you'll see things differently. as mentioned dime's signature tone isn't what the peavey excels at so wrong amp for that.
Kind of an old running joke within the circle I run with, Peavey? Yea you can throw that puppy out of a truck going 70 mph and it will still work, Still sound like crap but at least it will still work , But that applied to they're US made amps, at $700 bucks for a combo 1x12 tube amp care to take a guess as to where the one you have was made? Not that I have anything against the Asian made stuff, but at least play it before you take it home, and if it takes a $hit after the warranty runs out you only have yourself to blame, Is it actually defective off the assembly line and time to return it? That's up to you to decide. Personally I wouldn't have gone and tried throwing a V30 at an amp I didn't like from the start thinking it would improve it, I would have sent it back stating it sucked and had them send me something different, But then again I wouldn't have left the store with it if I thought it sucked in the first place,
Those amps have consistently shown to sound great and there are plenty of bands out there that use them to great effect. the 112 is also an excellent modding platform that can be made to sound huge.

What are your amp settings? Have you experimented with positioning the amp in different configurations for the room its situated in?

There must be something wrong with your amp if it sounds worse than a Metal Muff. Replace your tubes.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
Quote by Axelfox
There must be something wrong with your amp. Even straight out of the box (no mods, no pedals, no nothing) mine blew me away from the first chord I hit on the lead channel. Infinitely better sound/response/feel/you name it than any distortion pedal I've tried. However, here's what I discovered:

1. The stock speaker sucks. Either replace it with a Celestion V30 or one of the many clones of that speaker, or run the amp as a head through a larger cab w/ V30s or other nice speakers.

2. The stock tubes suck. They are cheap Chinese tubes. At the very least, order yourself a JJ 12ax7 to run in V1, and get a matched pair of JJ 6L6 power tubes. Mine sounded like a new amp when I replaced the power tubes.

3. The effects loop needs to be fixed. It's an easy mod if you know how to solder, and cheap. Only necessary if you use the effects loop though. But I'd highly recommend using an EQ pedal in the effects loop, so...

4. Though the amp has a shit-ton of mids, don't run your mids down below "2." Start with all EQ knobs on "5" and go from there. I tend to run my bass at around 6.5, and Resonance to match my bass. Mids are at 6, treble at around 5.

Here's a song I recorded with my 6505+ 112 (running through a 4X12 cab): https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/the-gathering-of-hostsfist-of-the-heavens

Tell me that sounds weak...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by monwobobbo
my thoughts as well. also if you have the preamp gain on 7 then that's one of your problems right there. really no need to have it that high and of course the distortion turns to mush. lower the gain get an overdrive and I think you'll see things differently. as mentioned dime's signature tone isn't what the peavey excels at so wrong amp for that.

If I have the gain below 7 then it looses the little punch it does have. I understand its nowhere near dimebags tone but the thing is neither me or anyone else have found a tone that even good from it whatsoever.
Quote by imarcelletti
If I have the gain below 7 then it looses the little punch it does have. I understand its nowhere near dimebags tone but the thing is neither me or anyone else have found a tone that even good from it whatsoever.

If your idea of a great guitar tone is Dimebag then there's your problem.

Subjectivity aside, it would explain a lot considering you:

> Feel the need to turn the amp's gain above 5.
> Prefer the sound of a metal muff over a 6505
> Like how the metal muff sounds like it's about to make your speaker 'explode'

Maybe you're better off with your Line 6 Spider II if that's the sort of 'tone' you want to achieve.
Quote by Axelfox
Honestly if you aren't getting the amount of gain you need out of a 6505 then I have to think your example is busted because those things have more than enough gain and cut through plenty.

What are your EQ settings?
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
As stated the Peavey sound may not be your thing, but if you think this amp is incapable of being heavy you are doing something wrong...very wrong. Just do a quick search on youtube for "6505" + "metal" and you will be swamped with a ton of videos of killer metal using that amp. Also are you using an OD to boost the front end? This is basically standard practice for all metal players and metal amps. Get an OD, set the gain to 0 or as low as you can and still get volume out of the pedal and set the volume to max, tone to taste, hit your dirt channel with that and you will probably be blown away with how it opens up the amp. When you do that you also usually turn the gain down a bit.

One other thing to consider is that there will be some adjustment time for your ears going to a high gain tube amp if you are used to the super saturated and compressed distortion of a pedal.

But as always tone is subjective, in my experience the metal muff is one of my least favorite distortion pedals. Maybe you would be happier with a Randall RG series amp.
You need to look into the tubes needing to be replaced or just have a tech check it out because my 6505+ has more crunch than Godzilla strolling through Tokyo

TBF mine is the U.S.A. made 120w head playing through a 4X12 loaded with Eminence speakers but I have heard of the MIC combos and barring the need for the stock speaker needing replaced they have all sounded damn good to me!

Also Dime used solid state amps which are typically more snappy to record the bulk of his catalog but even he switched to Krank tube heads at the end. I have not had any issues with the snap and punch on any tube head I have owned including the 6505+ and Mesa Dual Rec Roadster 2x12 I currently own.

+1 for having a good OD in front of the amp!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 2, 2016,
Quote by imarcelletti

perhaps you can explain your idea of punch a little better. once you get to the upper end of the gain it just turns the sound to mush and you lose clarity. that amp has more gain on tap than is needed by anyone except maybe the most extreme metal fan (and sorry but I find those kinds of tone to be awful) I rarely run the gain on my VK above 5 let alone my Ultra so I dunno about that. perhaps you could record something to demonstrate.
T00DEEPBLUE

Well im sorry if you dont like heavy music. There seems to be something people have against having distortion and a hard sound. I guess soft is the only acceptable style these days
monwobobbo

I dont like ridiculous gain that completely takes away the tone of the guitar. Again the problem is not so much the gain, just saying my pedal has much more. Multiple other people agree that the 6505 is far behind others

When I play chords the amp "feels" quiet and restricted. Its loose, not tight at all.

The second I use the metal muff pedal the amp starts to shake the ground with every note and is very snappy. It brightens the tone aswell
KailM

Yeah, I swapped the stock speaker ASAP and noticed a huge improvement.

All tubes work fine and I changed the order which actually helped. I plan on getting new tubes soon.

I dont even use the effects loop, so not a problem

I spent hours spinning the dials and had friends try it out. Never got anything good. The amp does have lots of mids and that extra high frequencyI noticed

Also, Your recording is good. It does sound way better than my amp.
Quote by imarcelletti
monwobobbo

I dont like ridiculous gain that completely takes away the tone of the guitar. Again the problem is not so much the gain, just saying my pedal has much more. Multiple other people agree that the 6505 is far behind others

When I play chords the amp "feels" quiet and restricted. Its loose, not tight at all.

The second I use the metal muff pedal the amp starts to shake the ground with every note and is very snappy. It brightens the tone aswell

you'd be hard pressed to find "multiple" people here that would say the 6505+ lags behind others. what others and who are these people. sounds like you need an overdrive pedal to throw in front of the amp which is what most folks do. had a Metal Muff and while a decent pedal my Ultra's natural sound leaves it in the dust. you do realize when using the muff you are adding a further layer of EQ which is likely the difference you hear.
Quote by imarcelletti
T00DEEPBLUE

Well im sorry if you dont like heavy music. There seems to be something people have against having distortion and a hard sound. I guess soft is the only acceptable style these days

I do like heavy music, I just also like guitar tones that sound tight, warm and defined. The kind that sound good.

Compared to a good tube amp, the Metal Muff sounds like shit imo.

If you don't think the 6505 is a gnarly sounding amp, go listen to Machine Head or something. They've been using that amp since the band's inception and for good reason. Or countless other bands and recordings.

Quote by imarcelletti
monwobobbo

...In terms of what? Gain? Tone?

That amp has a massive amount of gain, far more than any genre of music would ever call for. And if you don't think it has a good tone then good luck explaining that to the thousands of bands that use them, which has lead to the 6505 being so popular that it's widely considered to be the industry standard for modern metal.

Your amp is broken if you don't think it sounds good or it lacks gain. Can you record a sound sample of what you're hearing?
Quote by Axelfox
Agree with the first reply, you MAY just not like that amp.

But it sounds more like either a tube or transformer issue. I noticed a big difference after much research and replacing the tubes with a combo more to my liking on my 6505+ head

I should also note that I ruin it through a XXX cab loaded with Sheffield XXX speakers that are close enough V30 clones that I wouldn't waste the money swapping them for the real deal.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 2, 2016,
T00DEEPBLUE

I could record a sample but ill have to figure out how to upload it and where

I just tried some settngs suggested and it always has these super highs that I cant get rid of too. The metal muff sounds much better and has much more bass and of course, the punch . I mean the 6505 is getting nowhere near it. I tried 2,3,4,5,6 on preamp and turned the post low and high... nothin. messed with presence and resonance and still nothin.

I could be very true I dont like the amps sound.

About machine head. I dont get nearly as much distortion and nooowhere near that many lows. Below 5 distortion my amp sounds like a wallmart toy and above 5 its all sloppy. Machine head does have the loose sound when they palm mute which DO like ALLOT at times. But I would expect an amp of this glory to get the super tight crunchy tone somewhat near dime. For example. If you listen to whats under the solo in "focking hostile".... I crave that machine gun tightness
Is this the only amp you have at this time? Any other place you can try one out to see if you have an amp issue? Like a Guitar Center?

While I think a lot of good recommendations have come through in regards to checking tubes and eq settings, I think folks have overlooked one rather glaring matter....

............. Dimebucker pickups.

Not sure what model of Epiphone SG you have, but not all models and their pickups are equal.

Normally I think of pickups as being a minor tweaking thing, but there are some pickups that just don't help anyone... and Dimebuckers fall into that category IMO. You'll find those listed as one of the most disliked pickups on any number of forums out there.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Is this the only amp you have at this time? Any other place you can try one out to see if you have an amp issue? Like a Guitar Center?

While I think a lot of good recommendations have come through in regards to checking tubes and eq settings, I think folks have overlooked one rather glaring matter....

............. Dimebucker pickups.

Not sure what model of Epiphone SG you have, but not all models and their pickups are equal.

Normally I think of pickups as being a minor tweaking thing, but there are some pickups that just don't help anyone... and Dimebuckers fall into that category IMO. You'll find those listed as one of the most disliked pickups on any number of forums out there.

Really? All the reviews I have seen say that Dimebuckers blow away the competition. Personally, I played them for the first time and was shocked at their snappy tone and crunch. My friends were even impressed by it. I will say theyre not good for anything not metal, which I dont intend on using them for anyways

And I have a fender bass amp, a line 6 (much more punch and depth than the 6505 but tone is gross)

Ive played live gigs and used crates, vox amps, fenders and everything. I also go to guitar center frequently. Closest to my liking were orange amps
I'm sure a large number of 14 year old kids write reviews praising the dimebucker for how awesome it is.

Just an added bit of info: Dimebag used Bill Lawrence pickups

Another edit: Not trying to come across like a prick. But, if you want to get Dimebag tone, a 6505 probably isn't the best amp for that task. Randall would be a better route.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Nov 2, 2016,
Quote by ThunderPunk
I'm sure a large number of 14 year old kids write reviews praising the dimebucker for how awesome it is.

Another edit: Not trying to come across like a prick. But, if you want to get Dimebag tone, a 6505 probably isn't the best amp for that task. Randall would be a better route.

good point as reviews found on GC's site or amazon or the like are often useless. I've never tried Dimebuckers but have certainly heard more than once that they tend to be a one trick pony and lack dynamics. also good point that Dime didn't actually use them. Bill Lawrence makes quality pickups
Quote by imarcelletti
T00DEEPBLUE

I just tried some settngs suggested and it always has these super highs that I cant get rid of too. The metal muff sounds much better and has much more bass and of course, the punch . I mean the 6505 is getting nowhere near it. I tried 2,3,4,5,6 on preamp and turned the post low and high... nothin. messed with presence and resonance and still nothin.

About machine head. I dont get nearly as much distortion and nooowhere near that many lows. Below 5 distortion my amp sounds like a wallmart toy and above 5 its all sloppy. Machine head does have the loose sound when they palm mute which DO like ALLOT at times. But I would expect an amp of this glory to get the super tight crunchy tone somewhat near dime. For example. If you listen to whats under the solo in "focking hostile".... I crave that machine gun tightness

Seriously, I think something's wrong with your amp. I don't know what, but there's something wrong. It could be your power tubes. The ones that came in mine were shit. When I put some fresh JJ 6L6s in there, it instantly got a lot bigger, thumpier, and louder sounding. But I'm not even sure that's it.

You really need to try an OD pedal in front of your amp, like others said. That recording I shared earlier was made with the gain on "3." Granted, I double tracked it, but there was plenty of gain on 3...for black metal. Without my OD pedal, I run the gain at around 4.5 and that's still gobs of gain. If you run it higher than that, you're just going to oversaturate everything and tightness starts to go away.

Anyway, if you're able to actually play the rhythm riffs from "F---ing Hostile" by Pantera, then your amp should be able to handle it NO PROBLEM. It should be tight enough by a country mile. If you don't believe me I'll record those riffs and post-em up. The amp, when functioning correctly, should beat every tone Dime ever recorded and certainly be able to handle uber-tight thrashy rhythm playing. No offense or disrespect toward Dime, but his tone has not been generally regarded as "great." Anyway, I play that stuff all the time. The amp can do it better than most, in fact.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I own a Bugera 6262 which is a Peavey 6505 clone and if the beastly tones I get out of my amp is anywhere near like your 6505 it should be an absolute monster when it comes to metal. Bring it to a guitar tech and see if he can spot the problem. It's probably just tubes that need replacing.
Oh yeah and tbh I'd be avoiding dimebags tone.. He isn't known for having the best but I guess everyone has their own tastes
KailM

Im gonna get the amp checked by a pro and change the tubes. Im very fed up with it. I do plan on getting a randall rg1503 next

The amp doesn't have that thick "chunk" sound. More like "pop". Otherwise it sounds great tone wise, doesnt sound thick and the responsiveness is below my liking

I just bought a $1000 Dean with the dimebuckers which I actually really like. The pickups arent the problem, ive tried my SG and a freinds with EMG's

I really like Dimebags tone, im surprised people hate it. Everyone has different likings but I never saw it as "bad" whatsoever
Op, sounds like you just might be up for an Engl

Or if you really want Dime's sound, a Krank.

I've gotten really good tones on record with that amp (head+Mesa cab) and it could sound Pantera-like, so I'm guessing unless you do a full retube, you'll never know. Or you just might have a dud, after all they're Chinese assembly now so that's always a possibility.
I just played it again and one word comes to mind... GAY. Thats how the 6505 sounds. The Metal muff brings out so many more frequencies and is super THICK

6505 chugs sound like *klink klick* while the metal muff is an explosion. I cant get the dirty grindy tone from the 6505, just weak distortion or complete sloppy mud

Im convinced there IS something WRONG OR BROKEN WITH IT, there is no way anyone would sell something this horrible. Anyways thanks for the help from everyone here
Also I tried recording with my phone, sounds really bad and cant notice any difference. I wish could show the difference to everyone
Quote by imarcelletti
I just played it again and one word comes to mind... GAY. Thats how the 6505 sounds.

Gay, you say?

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
The correct spelling is: Geh.

You should have the 6505+ checked over to make sure nothing is wrong with it. It might end up being something you really like once it is fixed (if it is even broken). But, if it ends up being a turd (tone wise) in your opinion after it has been checked over... ditch it and use your metal muff pedal. Get yourself a dedicated clean amp that takes pedals really well and be happy.

We can't convince you to like an amp that you don't like. We can call you crazy for thinking a 6505+ isn't heavy enough (it has too much gain to even use)... but, again, your amp might have an issue. If it doesn't, and you still think it sounds lousy... again, we can (and most likely will) judge you for that. But, at the end of the day your ears are your ears. If you like the tone you get from your pedal, use that, ditch the 6505+ and get an amp that takes pedals really well.
Last edited by ThunderPunk at Nov 2, 2016,
^^^Great advice. It very well could be that TS doesn't like the sound of the 6505. But by the sounds of it, he's not really hearing the 6505 sound. Plenty of people don't care for that sound, but those that know the sound aren't likely to have comments like "this is not a metal tone," or "this thing is weak/geh." Nobody really makes those arguments about the 5150/6505 series, if they know what they're talking about. It's more along the lines of "I like [insert amp here] better," or "the tone is too common/widely used."

One final thought I had was, TS, you mentioned you're running your post-gain (volume) on 4? With a Vintage 30 loaded? That should be blowing your eardrums out. I played for a crowd of about 300 one time last year and had my volume at "2.2" and it was PLENTY. I even saw a lady out of the corner of my eye plugging her ears (and no, Dspellman, she was not directly in front of the cab)...course, that could have been my playing.

The fact that you're running the volume that high is kind of a red flag that something might be wrong.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 3, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
Or if you really want Dime's sound, a Krank.

Unless you are referring to Damageplan only Krank was not Dime's tone the entire Pantera catalog was recorded on a few different models of solid state Randall amps.

Quote by ThunderPunk

Absolutely when BL ceased making pickups during the lawsuit/separation from his partner/co-founder of BL USA Dime searched high and low for the L500XLs which is what he had loaded into all of his go to Dean ML's the guitars he recorded with.

Dimebuckers are reverse engineered L500XLs and do not sound the same by any means. FWIW after the company split Bill Lawrence founded Wilde Pickups which continues to manufacture Bill's legendary pups even after his passing in 2011.

I have a set of Wilde L500s an L500XL and an L500R and they are great pickups and cost around $60.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 3, 2016,
Quote by Evilnine
Unless you are referring to Damageplan only Krank was not Dime's tone the entire Pantera catalog was recorded on a few different models of solid state Randall amps.

Even the Damageplan album was recorded with Randall, the Krank was only a live thing at the point. The marketing back in the day would make you think otherwise, but the only reason the Damageplan album sounds so different is the bass guitar is up in the mix quite a bit.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by imarcelletti
T00DEEPBLUE

You can upload it here:

https://clyp.it/
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by imarcelletti
I just played it again and one word comes to mind... GAY. Thats how the 6505 sounds. The Metal muff brings out so many more frequencies and is super THICK

6505 chugs sound like *klink klick* while the metal muff is an explosion. I cant get the dirty grindy tone from the 6505, just weak distortion or complete sloppy mud

Im convinced there IS something WRONG OR BROKEN WITH IT, there is no way anyone would sell something this horrible. Anyways thanks for the help from everyone here

Take the fucking advice that's been given to you then? Get the amp checked out. If you can't get crushing metal tones out of it, it needs work or you have no idea how to dial in a metal tone.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Page 1 of 2