I've noticed in so many guitar videos on YouTube the person playing the guitar always have super long fingernails. How do you guys play with such long nails? I have to keep mine super short or I can't play... the white on my nails are never more than a few millimeters. How do you guys do it??
I don't mine are short. I do not paint them either
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
I don't mine are short. I do not paint them either

You can't play metal without black fingernails.

And toes.
Quote by dspellman
You can't play metal without black fingernails.

And toes.

I have managed to do just that since the 1980s!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

i can't AT ALL, i actually have to cut my right index nail in a specific way so the pick fits, else it eats my brain.
Same with left hand and chords.
Quote by nicmicmoo
I've noticed in so many guitar videos on YouTube the person playing the guitar always have super long fingernails. How do you guys play with such long nails? I have to keep mine super short or I can't play... the white on my nails are never more than a few millimeters. How do you guys do it??

Just like most in this thread, I notice that my playing notably suffers if my nails aren't at the "right" length, it really sucks! I wouldn't worry too much about what others do in that regard though; as you get more experienced you'll start to get a feel for things that you should take from other people and things that you shouldn't!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
yeah sometimes i wonder why i'm sucking (more than usual ) and then i realise i need to cut my fingernails. i keep them really short too or i can't play well at all.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Are we talking about fretting or picking nails? I've see some horrible fretboard gouges due t long fretting hand nails. On the picking hand it comes down to personal preference, though most nylon string players have them fairly long; I keep mine fairly short to avoid damaging them.
You'll find that most fingerpicking guitarists will have long fingernails on their right hand and short fingernails on their left (if they are right handed or vice versa if not) it may be possible the people you are watching also do fingerpicking hence the reason for the long fingernails. The reason for this is to increase the loudness of the sound versus picking with flesh. I generally keep mine slightly past the flesh otherwise they'll catch on the strings other people may be able top have them longer without catching.

alternatively they may belong to a secret cult

Mike
http://www.mikerizk.com
Honestly I don't know any guitarists with long fingernails on their fretting hand, only on their picking hand and only if they actually use them for playing,.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
There's a certain touch in playing with fingernails, but it does indeed take some practice. And there is indeed a difference between long nails and short nails, much of it depends on the strength and health of your actual nails, the shape, and just your technique, the tone you're looking to achieve and so on.

In my case, my nails are quite strong and hard so I don't need to strengthen them artificially. They're also a bit crooked unfortunately, so if I let them get too long they become near unplayable for my preferred technique. Whether they're long or short also has a large impact on my tone, which is ironically better when they're long but makes it more difficult to play. This is not the same for everyone though, a colleague of mine has the exact opposite. He plays better with long nails, but prefers the tone of short nails.

So I tend to keep them somewhat short compared to most people, which suits my main focus in music and technique. It just takes practice, and depending on how accustomed you are to playing with fingers and nails, a bit of adjustment.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
mike_rizk Now that you mention it I think it was on their picking hand. The thing is that the people I would see them on (mainly YouTube tutorials) are pretty much all or mostly electric guitar.
Fretting hand - no nails
Strumming hand - long as you can lol if you want to pick or just use one against your thumb as a plec,,, watch a bit of john Martyn for inspiration ?

nicmicmoo I don't play electric btw

FretboardToAsh exactly! But all that can also change with your instrument too
etakyaface, there's an edit button for a reason. I've cleaned up your posts, but try and do it yourself next time, yeah?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.