My gear includes

- An Esp Ltd ec 331 mahogany solid body / mahogany set neck and rosewood fretboard ~ I plan on installing either Hetfield Emg 81/60 pickups or ZW 81/85s at Christmas

- Bugera 6262 120w full tube amp combo

- Peavey Vypyr practice amp

I mainly play heavy metal and my favourite bands are Black Sabbath, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Megadeth etc. but I'm doing more lead guitar stuff lately so I'm also experimenting with blues and classic rock but not very much. How is my gear for starting off/ learning lead guitar. I know it's nothing spectacular. I'm planning on getting a job when I turn 15 in a few months to save up for guitars and other gear in the future as I don't want to be one of those young brats who expect their parents to buy anything they desire (my parents aren't poor but they don't have that much money to through away on expensive guitars) It seems like when most of today's guitarists were teens and decided they wanted to be the next big rock stars, they had the best guitars and amps at their finger tips. How did you save up for gear as a teen and what was your first set up like?
My first guitar and amp were a Gibson ES-335-12 and a Vox Super Beatle.
But I started on piano at 5 and played my first wedding reception solo (and got paid!) on a Hammond organ and piano at age 11. By your age I was playing Bach in concerts on a pipe organ. My first guitar came from the "to be trashed" pile at a local music store where I worked; the 335 was seriously filthy (bubble gum on the back of the headstock, etc.) and 12-string electrics long out of vogue.
My first rig was a 1960 something Harmony Bobkat with single pickup, a Crate CR1 amp, and an EH Little Big Muff so you are miles ahead of what I started with when I was 13. The Bobkat was in mint condition but that didn't stop it from being a proper turd although I see the prices they are fetching today and wish I still had it!

TBF back in the 80's there wasn't a whole hell of a lot of decent but affordable gear options that exist in today's market.

Anyway don't let your advantage of having decent gear compared to mine as a beginner go to your head because my current arsenal will chew up your gear and spit out the pieces
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Nov 2, 2016,
I think dspellman had the fortune of growing up with nicer gear than most, so I'll give you another perspective.

I started on a beginner set that cost about 200 euros. It was crap, but it worked. I bought a Fender Frontman 212 and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard later from saved money (from birthdays etc) and then upgraded to a tube amp. The gear at that point was more than capable of doing gigs and progressing to where I am now, probably. I think you're tricked into thinking everyone has nice gear by all the young people on YouTube having sick gear and being awesome, but those are a vast minority.

I'd say the gear you have serve you for as long as you'd want yourself, really. While I had decent stuff by age 16, it wasn't a Gibson/US Fender/whatever into an expensive amp either. It did allow me to play in a band and have fun and I think that's where I made the choice for myself to pursue the gear-thing more. I could've stayed with what I had and it would've been fine. But I decided to almost literally spend all the money I earned from student jobs on gear. I learned a lot about what I liked and didn't like and at 23 at the moment, I'd say I have a nice collection that I worked hard for. Some people have less expensive gear and play way better than me from a technical standpoint.

Bottom line, it doesn't really matter what you're using to progress. How you decide to go with gear will have an impact and in various ways will define your style, but no one ever got amazing at playing from just picking up an expensive guitar and plugging it into an expensive amp.
My first rig was my father's Ovation.

Then I ended up with an SG and a Marshall AVT as a first electric rig.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I have a Fender Squier Telecaster Bullet With a DOD FX69 Grudge pedal Line 6 Spider IV 75w. I'm working on buying a Jim root Squier Telecaster I've been playing
for 6 years and when ever I'm at the shop I never like the feel of a guitar as much as a tele
Last edited by blackveilsirens413 at Nov 3, 2016,
Quote by I K0nijn I
I think dspellman had the fortune of growing up with nicer gear than most,

Yes and No.
I paid the store owner $75 for the guitar (he should probably have simply given it to me; it was destined for the dumpster), and the Vox Super Beatle was non-working and had a couple of rips in the grill cloth. I bought the whole thing for $200, the head was repaired for $25 (it was something really basic) and a friend of mine sewed the rips by hand.

My nephew had been banging away on an old Tiesco (sp?) I had, and last year his mom decided to go for a major christmas gift and gave me an all-in budget of $500 for a guitar and amp. But we kept hinting that I might give him the Tiesco and help him find a cheap Spider.

The local Craigslist yielded an Agile AL2000 HSBF like this one for $145 (new price was $225):

And a pristine Carvin XV112, like this one, for $250:

It came with a 100W "british voiced" speaker and seemed to be in great condition but it sounded like crap. I donated a retube (EL34s, 12AX7s) out of my "stock" and a friend fixed some capacitor issue, and now it simply honks. These things will outshout most Marshall 100W amps when pushing the same speakers.

We found a ratty gig bag and a Line 6 Spider (trashed) cover that fit badly and had those sitting under the tree on Christmas morning with bows on top. Cables, picks, strap were part of my gift. He should be able to use that "beginner" setup right up through his 50th birthday.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 2, 2016,
Nice Carvin, d!

I started out as a singer & cellist, so I didn't start playing guitars until I was in college. I was gifted with an Alvarez acoustic I destroyed (though play) in a year. It would have cost more to repair than to replace...so I replaced it with an Ovation Elite AND a Washburn fretless bass, both of which I have to this day.

My first electric? A Dean Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac...played through a Korg Pandora Px4 and some nice headphones. I still have and use both axes. The Px4 has been replaced by other Korgs. And now I have a Fender HRD combo.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Luxury. I started with a no name 60s Japanese made piece of garbage with a baseball bat neck (the fat end of the bat) and action so high that slide players complained. I plugged this into the instrument jack of my fathers Lafeyette stereo. a few months later I got a SS amp that was about 2 watts, had a 5" speaker and a volume knob (no tone controls). amazed that I learned a thing. oh and I'm left handed I had to flip the guitar. didn't take a whole lot of time before I said nough of this shit and learned to play rightie.
I started with a new 150$ Yamaha acoustic right out of high school. Played it for a few years before I got an upgrade. Loved that guitar, replaced it with a nicer Yamaha acoustic electric which I still have today.
Gibson LP Standard T - Epiphone LP Standard (BCS wiring+pots, 57/57+ Gibson) - Fender FSR MIM Telecaster
Blackstar Series one 45 (v30's) - Jetcity JCA50h + 212cab (Eminence) - Orange Crush 35RT
I started with a no name thin body ES-335 style guitar, looked alright but would not stay in tune, the 'bigsby' was crap but I could plug it into my sweet sweet Peavey rage 108 and play smoke on the water and some Zeppelin, so for a "starter" rig you are way ahead of most.
i'd get an overdrive pedal (e.g. boss sd1) to use as a boost (drive low, volume high on the pedal) and maybe a delay pedal rather than pickups if you want to play lead guitar.

your gear seems pretty good other than that.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I'm pretty happy with my gear, especially my guitar it looks beautiful and it's really comfortable but I really just wanna complete it with a nice set of emgs. I dunno whether to go 81/85 ZW set or 81/60 Het set for leads though. I'm also gonna be saving and collecting some pedals too so yes an overdrive pedal is on the list along with a zakk wylde crybaby and I also think a noise gate would be a good idea to have with my bugera since it can be noisy (as high gain amps are)
Started off with a $75 tele clone from a pawnshop and an old tube home stereo. To get overdrive, I had to crank the living hell out of it.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by MadaRuaDubh13
I'm pretty happy with my gear, especially my guitar it looks beautiful and it's really comfortable but I really just wanna complete it with a nice set of emgs. I dunno whether to go 81/85 ZW set or 81/60 Het set for leads though. I'm also gonna be saving and collecting some pedals too so yes an overdrive pedal is on the list along with a zakk wylde crybaby and I also think a noise gate would be a good idea to have with my bugera since it can be noisy (as high gain amps are)

yeah. i mean, you may well decide you want both an od pedal and pickups. just an od pedal is cheaper and much handier. It's up to you but i'd probably get it first.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I was playing baritones (like a junior tuba) and other brass instruments throughout middle school and high school. It wasn't until a little over a year ago I got my first guitar, a Squire Bullet HSS and Rocksmith for the Xbox One. I did snag a Peavey Vypyr 30 a few months later, though.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Most of you started of with stuff way better than what I had.
Mine was more in line with what monwobobbo had.

I had some strat copy I got at a garage sale for like $25.
Ended up making a new body from a few pieces of 1 inch thick plywood and made a bastardized Explorer shape out of it.
Used a home stereo for my amp until I got a real amp. Can't even remember what amp that was. Probably some low budget clone of a Fender amp, Then a few years later got a Marshall MOSFET Lead 100.

Had a Crybaby, a Maestro Phase Shifter, Boss Flanger and probably a tubescreamer in there.
I may have had more pedals, but I forget.
My memory of the 80's is kind of a blur.
I started out on an $80 alpine acoustic, then like 8 months later I got a squire bullet and a cheap little solid state behringer amp. The amp sounded like shit, but I thought it was amazing. That squire was actually a pretty decent guitar considering it's beginner gear. Ended up getting a Boss ME-50 a little later.
TS, not to know your decisions, but there may be better choices than the ZW or Het set. There's nothing inherently wrong with either of those choices, but there are a TON of options for pickups for metal and hard rock.

To answer the question though, I started with one of the Target Squier kits, but that was when I was 10. by the time I was 16, I had already been through a ton of amps and guitars. I got myself a job at 14 and held some kind of employment throughout high school, and I went through so much gear I couldn't list it hear even if I tried.

I'm fairly settled now with my Helix and my Music Man Silhouette, but I will admit that there are a ton of guitars that I would still like to have (I've been eyeballing a nice traditional Explorer or V shape lately...)
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Last edited by dementiacaptain at Nov 6, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
OP, not sure if I'd want to change pickups, you should already have similar active pickups in there.

I tried my friends emg equipped guitar and there seems to be more of a bite, especially while soloing with high distortion.
I had a Squier Affinity Strat and a Marshall MS-2. Things have improved since then.
Not a bad start up at all, but research pick ups before you rush into a swap. I started with a Jackson dk2s and a cheap behringer amp that was pretty cool
I started playing in the 60s (teen years) and a guy sold me a Hagstrom Impala guitar and a Fender Reverb Deluxe amp for $75.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
I started out with a Gibson SG with P90's on it and a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I kick myself every day for ever getting rid of them. Be worth a fortune today.
If you mean the amp yeah me too. Real 60s stuff.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
I started out on my dads Fender DG-5 acoustic, and it was horrible, because it was strung with 12's. Its also not a very good guitar anyway, but i still play it 10 years later because i simply never shelled out for a new acoustic guitar. Then i got myself an ibanez GRG-170 and a Fender Frontman 15R amp. It sounded horrible but the guitar was actually pretty nice, and i still kinda regret selling it. I had that setup for a few years then.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
My first guitar was a piece of crap LP copy, within 1 year, I took all of my savings ($240) and bought an Ibanez Roadstar II (this was 1984/1985 timeframe). Couldn't afford a Fender Strat but I will admit that I liked the Ibanez as much, if not more than the Strat. I had to haggle with music store as I was short like $30 for the Ibanez, but he agreed to sell it without the hardcase (which I didn't care about). My parents weren't happy when they found out that I spent all of my savings on a guitar at 15 years old, but at that time you didn't have the same kind of return policies so there was nothing they could really do about it.

I still have the Ibanez and play it from time to time, still a fantastic guitar. My amp was a Peavey Backstage Plus. Nothing compared to the amps available today but it worked and I played it until it died about 10 years later.
My first "rig" was a epiphone Les Paul studio, and a crappy Fender Princeton 650 solid state amp. I was 13.

I was probably 18 when I finally saved up and bought myself a Mark IV. Sold it when I started falling out of playing guitar and now I just use various VST like Bias through some studio monitors. Halfway saved up for an Axe FX though.