Ayee. I'm looking to upgrade from my Spider IV 30w and get somethin cool I can put some pedals into.

But is the tiny worth the substantial price jump over the micro?

I play gigs in a band.

Cheers!
- Guitar(s) -
S-1 Schecter Diamond Series (Stock)
- Amps/Pedals -
Line 6 Spider IV 30w (Not ashamed) with MKII footswitch
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
"I play gigs in a band" and "upgrade" suggests something altogether different to me than a micro or dork terror.

The only thing I like about the Dark Terror is the marketing copy, starting with "Menacingly small..."
It always gives me snot bubbles.

"That's what SHE said!"

Quote by dspellman
"I play gigs in a band" and "upgrade" suggests something altogether different to me than a micro or dork terror.

The only thing I like about the Dark Terror is the marketing copy, starting with "Menacingly small..."
It always gives me snot bubbles.

"That's what SHE said!"

I see I see. Ha!
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by dspellman

Are you talking about the Micro Dark (20w hybrid), or the actual Dark Terror (15w all-valve)?
Because I've heard good things about the Dark Terror and the Jim Root Terror.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Are you talking about the Micro Dark (20w hybrid), or the actual Dark Terror (15w all-valve)?
Because I've heard good things about the Dark Terror and the Jim Root Terror.

I believe he was referring to both my man
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by diabolical
The all tube Orange amps are awesome, the solid state just okay. For band I'd say 30 tube watts at least, but the Tiny Terror tube combo I have was loud enough to be heard over a drummer.

Thanks for the info! What about something like a Blackstar h1 or h5 or an egnater tweaker 15w? Would that be better?
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
FWIW I love my Micro Dark
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by SlappyHours
Thanks for the info! What about something like a Blackstar h1 or h5 or an egnater tweaker 15w? Would that be better?

That's just jumped from a 15w head to a 1w head, so I'd be careful the Blackstars are loud enough. Do you ever need to gig without your amp being mic'ed up?

Also, what sort of tones are you after? What pedals do you use? Do you switch between clean and dirty sounds?
Quote by luke.g.henderso
That's just jumped from a 15w head to a 1w head, so I'd be careful the Blackstars are loud enough. Do you ever need to gig without your amp being mic'ed up?

Also, what sort of tones are you after? What pedals do you use? Do you switch between clean and dirty sounds?

I do gig at smaller places where I'm not mic'd up, halls and outdoor stages where I mostly am. i'm just after a nice clean tone, with a decent amount of gain (I'm either clean or almost all the gain). I don't have any pedals yet but if the amp I get has decent dirt I'm thinkinv about just getting chorus, octive, and fuzz or something along those lines.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Quote by SlappyHours
I do gig at smaller places where I'm not mic'd up, halls and outdoor stages where I mostly am. i'm just after a nice clean tone, with a decent amount of gain (I'm either clean or almost all the gain). I don't have any pedals yet but if the amp I get has decent dirt I'm thinkinv about just getting chorus, octive, and fuzz or something along those lines.

I would be wary about running a 1w or 5w amp that isn't mic'ed up (or DI'ed throuh the PA).

I think (and I know that others agree) that if you get a good 2-channel amp, or a 1-channel amp set to light crunch with a boost pedal to push it into drive, you may get a better sound than relying entirely on pedals (unless you spend a couple of hundred on a pedal).
I wouldn't carry a 1W or 5W to a gig. I have an Epi Valve Jr that's a great recording amp, but I really don't think they're giggable. This includes miked. Here's the thing -- a miked amp will still pick up stage volume, and if you're close to someone that's really beating on the drums or that's working a half stack with a 50-100W amp, your mike will carry some of that with your signal. My personal choice for this kind of thing are 30-100W amps. My smallest is actually a 50W (Carvin Belair, Atomic Reactor 212-50), and I've also got a 100W 1x12 Carvin XV112E. You don't need to crank them to get great sound, but the wattage is there not for volume, but for decent reproduction of (in particular) the lower end of the spectrum.
Thank you for your points guys. Don't worry, I'm readin em.
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s
Would a Line 6 Flextone III be an upgrade from my Spider IV?
- Guitar(s) -
- Amps/Pedals -
Roland Micro Cube
- Strings -
Ernie Ball Regular 10s