Guys, I'm looking for a good cheap and small combo around 15w-50w that can make some classic metal, prog and hard rock sounds. Guitars are a PRS CU24 and a LTD Viper 500. At this moment my budget is tight, around $300, of course I'll go used. I do not need tons of gain, I have pedals for that.

A guy is selling a Laney VC15, I had a LC15 and the gain was about right. Any experience with those?

Any other recommendations? I need it small cause I need to lug it around quite much.

Thanks

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
vc15s are fairly low gain i think. that being said i didn't think the lc15 i tried had a ton of gain either (but to be fair i did try it with a tele IIRC).

if you need it to be that small that's going to limit your options, unfortunately. maybe a jet city? they all have 12" speakers though so will be a bit bigger...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Peavey XXX 112 & 212 combo can be had for under $300 if you look around. USA made, all tube, versatile, 3 foot switchable channels ....
Nope, here in Mexico the Peavey XXX is more expensive.

It can be a just a good pedal platform. Valveking maybe?

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
up

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Nope, here in Mexico the Peavey XXX is more expensive.

It can be a just a good pedal platform. Valveking maybe?

Valveking's are difficult to get metal sounds out of without modding. Other than that, they're a good amp with a lot of output, good sound, versatility, and as stated before a lot of modability. Plus they're CHEAP! Get a USA made one if you can find it.
Quote by Xander_X
Valveking's are difficult to get metal sounds out of without modding. Other than that, they're a good amp with a lot of output, good sound, versatility, and as stated before a lot of modability. Plus they're CHEAP! Get a USA made one if you can find it.

were there ever any USA-made Valvekings? I know (well, think ) they've moved most of the originally-USA-made amps to China now, but I have this vague feeling that the VK was always Chinese-made.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
I think it was...compared to their old line of USA amps, the VK was really shoddily built, you could feel the circuit board giving way when you twist the knibs, they actually improved the build with the newer VK mkII.

Btw, I think they're decent tone amp, even for metal, with a treble booster or OD in front.
I could be wrong. Maybe that's why they're so inexpensive. I never followed the VK. I think I just assumed the first gen ones were USA made because at that time, most of Peavey's amps were still made here.
yeah i think that was why they were so cheap