I recently picked up a Mesa 4x12 Oversized Cab. I have an Orange CR120 head running through it, and I am using the dirty channel through the head. The Mesa cab sounds EXTREMELY harsh. My bass on the head is almost all the way up, the mids are at 2 o'clock, and treble is sitting at 12 o'clock. I even turned my gain to about 3 o'clock to try to fatten it to no avail. I just lose the powerful tone I want. The guitar is a Fender Jag with a Railhammer Alnico Grande bridge. I originally had the gain to about 5 o'clock, but that added even more harshness. I tune half step down and play Alternative music, so I really need that fat and thick driving tone. What should I do?
Buy a new amp?
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
What kind of speakers are in the Mesa cab? Did you purchase it brand new or used?
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Turn off the EQ and find yourself a good OD pedal and run that into the dirty side.

Do NOT turn the bass all the way up on an amp like this -- you'll just waste power and you won't get the bottom end you're looking for. There s a long, sort of techy explanation why this is so, but essentially the control has the amplifier generating low-end signal that you can't even hear. At some point, you might find that putting a high pass filter on it that prevents the amp from trying to reproduce anything below about 80Hz will give you more power where you actually need it (your MESA isn't going to reproduce those sounds anyway).

Check the Mesa and tell us what speakers are actually in the thing (if it's used, it's possible there could be something completely NON Mesa in there). If the previous owner didn't use the thing much, it's possible it's not even broken in yet.
The Mesa is loaded up with Vintage 30s all four ways. I'm shocked that it's so harsh because the previous owner did use it frequently.
I was wondering if the speakers were broken in or not.

Sounds like an eq issue if there isn't anything wrong with the speakers.

Set all your knobs for eq at the midway point and gently adjust from there up and down to see if you can find the source of harshness. As for the gain end of things... start with it low and gently increase it bit by bit.

If you still can't find something usable, you likely have a conundrum that is going to make you choose between your amp or your cab. Some amps just don't play nice with certain cabs/speakers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
don't no what to tell you ?? ,My mesa 4x12 sounds great with every amp that's played through it ...... check speakers , wiring , try to determine if one or more speakers is blowed
ThunderPunk Thanks for the reply. I was very shocked because a lot of people really like how Orange and Mesa jive. I often wonder if it's my pickup? It's a Railhammer Alnico Grande, and it has thin rails for the low strings and big slugs for the high strings....but upon looking more into the pickup, the treble and mids on their chart for that pickup aree not anywhere near what I would think would make a harsh noise. If anything, the bass is pretty up there, so it should be fat and round.