Anyone know the comparability of Floyd sustain blocks. I have an OFR one lying around and I was going to try and put it on my Dean Custom. The Dean floyd has no marking on the face at all.

The Dean block looks cheap, and I would expect the OFR block to improve sustain, and even tone perhaps.
Quote by Marko5150
Anyone know the comparability of Floyd sustain blocks. I have an OFR one lying around and I was going to try and put it on my Dean Custom. The Dean floyd has no marking on the face at all.

The Dean block looks cheap, and I would expect the OFR block to improve sustain, and even tone perhaps.

The best I can do is, "It depends." If you're talking about pulling the sustain block OFF your surplus OFR, that's about the best I can offer. You might try running that question past Dean or the folks at www.fu-tone.com (Floyd Upgrades including big brass sustain blocks).
why not just put the whole unit in if better tone and sustain is your goal?
Quote by monwobobbo
why not just put the whole unit in if better tone and sustain is your goal?

My guess will be that it's the wrong color.
Quote by dspellman
My guess will be that it's the wrong color.

yeah cuz that's important to tone. could be guess we'll have to wait for reply
Quote by Grawgos
Monwobobbo, everyone knows the tone is in the color.

hmmm.... must be what's missing for me to find that God Like tone I'm after. now I just have to figure out what color. thanx
I dont't have the entire unit, just the block. I guess I'll tear it down the next time I'm changing strings on that guitar and see how the screws match up.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah cuz that's important to tone. could be guess we'll have to wait for reply

Well, it *may* color your sound. Maybe we can toss that into the next "tone wood" discussion.
"Does a black guitar sound more metal." "Does the color of your guyliner affect your metal attitude..."

Seriously, though, I pulled a black Floyd OFR from a guitar and replaced it with a nickel-colored version. Just because the rest of the guitar was getting nickel hardware. So the thought was that the reason that he didn't want to change the whole unit out was because it was...uh...rose gold and the rest of the guitar was Space Grey. That kinda deal.
Quote by Marko5150
I dont't have the entire unit, just the block. I guess I'll tear it down the next time I'm changing strings on that guitar and see how the screws match up.

You might just consider getting a larger brass block while you're at it. They're not particularly expensive (in the $30 range).