Christmas day, I'm playing to a bunch of people who'll mostly be 50-60. Hopefully their kids'll be there too. :|
Since most (read: all) people of this age range in my area don't want an aural assault of any kind, I'm going to mostly play blues or calmer chord-y songs - y'know, stuff like The Weight, Where Did You Sleep Last Night and Knockin' On Heaven's Door.

I'd like recommendations: which songs are relatively easy to play and sing at the same time and sound 'full' by themselves, as in they'll work well with just unaccompanied guitar, and would appeal to a mostly senior audience?

Thanks
Christmas day? Maybe too obvious, but play some well known Christmas songs. Can't really go wrong with that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If you are playing by yourself, you could even try do some Chord/Melody kinda playing.
of course..beatles..james taylor..paul simon..billy joel..theres a couple of hundred right there...
play well

wolf
Is this just for friends or is it a gig? If it's just people you know, play whatever you like. If it's a gig, I'd break out the Real Book and get some chord melodies in the repertoire.
Christmas songs are out, most people don't appreciate those here. Thanks for the suggestion still :P

Quote by cdgraves
Is this just for friends or is it a gig? If it's just people you know, play whatever you like. If it's a gig, I'd break out the Real Book and get some chord melodies in the repertoire.

Gig. :> Good idea.

Thanks to the lot of ye for the suggestions
Quote by Duaneclapdrix
Just play Buddy Holly

everybody likes Buddy Holly

But do they like Mary Tyler Moore? Egegegege.
I would learn Jingle Bells and Jingle Bell Rock and play then back to back every 4 songs and the other ones, whatever you want. I suggest Stones, but that's just me. Felise Avi Da or whatever it's called.
I hope LeBron breaks his ankle and NEVER wins another ring again in his life
I'm a metal fan and I know most of the people don't like Rock/Metal music. For this three years, I've been notice and noted that while I play Thunderstruck by ACDC, they pay more attention and become quite. This song is somewhat magical. Not only pop culture people will pay attention to it, but also young kids and older audience and even neighbor dog wag it tail when I start to play Thunderstruck. It's some effect like Mozart effect, The Turkish march.

Just my opinion!
I'm not sure why people take gigs without having a set first.

Play songs you know how to play.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'm in my early 60's, and if you wanted to play to people "like me", then do some smooth jazz stuff, easy blues, soft rock, a few folk tunes, some other stuff.
Some names to look into: Natalie Merchant, Pink, Emily Remler, Edit Brickell, Ellie Goulding, Joan Baez, Dolores O'Riordan, The Allman Brothers, Lady Gaga, Neil Young, Steppenwolf, Natalie Imbruglia, Keith Jarrett, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Santana, Diana Krall, Carole King, Leo Kottke, Simply Red, Enya, T'Pau, James Taylor, Stevie Nicks, Bonnie Raitt, Paul Simon, Nickelback, Blondie, Pete Seeger, Avril Lavigne, Marvin Gaye, Keiko Matsui, Adele, Heart, and the list goes on.... Kind of hard to focus in on one type of music when an audience has a very wide range of interests.

You see, if you sterotype and buttonhole a group then you miss a whole lot of options. Not sure where you are at, nor what the gig is looking for, but I would suggest contacting the person who hired you for the gig and ask them for what types of music might be well received by the intended audience.

Good luck with the gig, relax, have fun, and I hope it all goes well.
Looking at some "best of" albums from when your audience were 15-25 is always a good call. Bringing them back to good memories is probably more interesting - for them! - than hearing some guy with a guitar whip out the same old troubadour songs which might actually be the "better" songs.

http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1976
Pretty much any Buckingham/Nicks era Fleetwood Mac. Rumours album for example.
I really appreciate the advice, all of you

Quote by sosxradar
I'm a metal fan and I know most of the people don't like Rock/Metal music. For this three years, I've been notice and noted that while I play Thunderstruck by ACDC, they pay more attention and become quite. This song is somewhat magical. Not only pop culture people will pay attention to it, but also young kids and older audience and even neighbor dog wag it tail when I start to play Thunderstruck. It's some effect like Mozart effect, The Turkish march.

Just my opinion!

Would you say that when people hear that song, they are (they are)... thunderstruck? :p

Quote by AlanHB
I'm not sure why people take gigs without having a set first.

Play songs you know how to play.

I had decent few in mind already but I figured, I have two months to prepare so tailoring would be A+
Tears in Heaven
BigBoned: Hello Hung Daddy.

Hung Daddy: Hi. I'm eight and a half inches.

BigBoned: Sorry, I'm not interested in being friends with midgets. Midgets piss me off
A couple of ideas, some ZZ TOP, SEX PISTOLS or DEAD KENNEDYS, and always .... ALWAYS play WONDERFUL TONIGHT as a last slow set song,
or, you know, BUDDY HOLLY
I'd recommend some easy listening classic rock, for example, Hotel California by the Eagles is a song that 90% of them will know, Sweet Home Alabama also.
A couple more Clapton songs - Layla, Wonderful Tonight.

Another tear jerker - "Last Thing on my Mind".

My favourite blues song - "Candyman" ala John Hurt.
yeh Beatles, maybe throw in some Oasis and just for the craic, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and other people like that.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
50-60, huh?

Well, my Dad is that age group, and I know that him and a lot of his friends will appreciate songs like Nothing Else Matters, maybe some R.H.C.P., some easy on the ears pop rock, like Drive by Incubus, Losing My Religion or Bad Day by R.E.M.

Or go for some of the dad rock classics if you want.

Don't Fear The Reaper should be easy to play and sing on acoustic, Wish You Were Here minus the solo, some Police if you don't detest Sting, some Simon and Garfunkel (Sound Of Silence, Bridge Over Troubled Water, Scarborough Fair), some easy Zeppelin, Break On Through by The Doors

And, as has been said, go with some of the good old bluesy stuff. Can't go wrong with an acoustic "Sweet Home Chicago". Johnson's is amazing.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
You may be the one surprised when you show up. I am 63 and remember Ozzy as the new kid of rock. Most people my age can remember when Ozzy spoke plainly, adored Woodstock, and thought the proper way to play the National Anthem was the way Hendrix did. Don't be afraid to pump it up for them. They will probably enjoy it.
"Life by the Drop" by SRV is really easy and everyone loves it.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album