Got my 6505+ combo back from the tech. Amp turned on but didnt make any noise while playing. Checked tubes and all that, no response. Had it to a tech, guy was beside himself at what it could be. Ended up calling Peavey. Told him to change out all the diodes (though they checked out good even compared to known good diodes) and call it a day.

Amp is only 4 years old and not played often. Are diodes a common thing to go wrong? Ive heard of caps, tubes etc...
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
normally no but Chinese made so parts can be suspect at times. my VK has a similar issue a few years back and I guess that certain recurring problems have come up enough for Peavey to just tell techs to replace certain parts right off the bat.
Quote by Xander_X
^Basically.

This is why I only buy the USA made Peavey stuff.

Yeah Id agree. Im not aware of any USA made 6505+. I had a classic 30 which was great, but Im disappointed in Peavey for this one.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
All 6505+ 112 combos were/are made in China. But up until just a couple years ago all the rest - 6505/6505+/6534/6534+ heads and their 212 combos were USA made. Just gotta find one.

I haven't heard about any difference in tone since going overseas but I've definitely heard of a lot more issues and if you put them side by side you'll notice where theyve cut corners as well.
My diodes failed as well. It wasn't that big of a deal once I figured out what was wrong (my local tech couldn't figure it out). But once I replaced them with higher grade diodes, it's been running strong ever since. And it probably made it 4 years before the originals failed. Cost me about $2 to fix. Would have cost $250+ to have Peavey fix it. At the end of the day, anything can break down, even U.S. made stuff. But most anything can be fixed if you have the patience to learn.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
My diodes failed as well. It wasn't that big of a deal once I figured out what was wrong (my local tech couldn't figure it out). But once I replaced them with higher grade diodes, it's been running strong ever since. And it probably made it 4 years before the originals failed. Cost me about $2 to fix. Would have cost $250+ to have Peavey fix it. At the end of the day, anything can break down, even U.S. made stuff. But most anything can be fixed if you have the patience to learn.

very true. of course thing is that even in an American made amp the diodes could still be from china. only difference is they likely would have been better tested so failure rate would be lower. the VK and 6505+ combo are decent amps but bottom line is they are produced to a price point so corners are cut. if you bought the same amp made in the US it would cost at least $200 more and still may not be any better quality wise.
I just lugged my 15 year old Peavey 50/50 Classic power amp to practice today...2nd tube change ever on the thing and I don't know how many hours. Opened her up and she was pristine inside...it must the the ROC switch that produces such garbage. My Windsor (Chinese) failed within 2 month of purchase, bad fuse, some kind of soldered on junk inside the amp, had to wait 2 months to get it fixed under warranty as Peavey took forever to shi[ a replacement. I am almost afraid to power it up now after your story
I've had my amp do the same thing. I knew because the preamp tubes didn't light but the power tubes did and plugging a guitar into the effects loop yielded sound. But having fingers and thumbs, I fixed it in a jiffy and haven't had problems in the years since.

You'll find some burning to the board if you look closely at both sides. Just replace the diodes with ones of the same value and you'll be good to go. Just be sure to discharge the traces however before removing anything. The diodes are operating on the high voltage side of the board. That's why they got hot enough to melt in the first place.

Most of the components of that amp are made in China. But so are also most of the components in the USA heads despite their reputation of being so reliable.

Though it is true that the box-stock combos are not as reliable as the heads, they can be made to be reliable and with mods out there they can sound so good that doing the work is well worth the effort.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've had my amp do the same thing. I knew because the preamp tubes didn't light but the power tubes did and plugging a guitar into the effects loop yielded sound. But having fingers and thumbs, I fixed it in a jiffy and haven't had problems in the years since.

You'll find some burning to the board if you look closely at both sides. Just replace the diodes with ones of the same value and you'll be good to go. Just be sure to discharge the traces however before removing anything. The diodes are operating on the high voltage side of the board. That's why they got hot enough to melt in the first place.

Most of the components of that amp are made in China. But so are also most of the components in the USA heads despite their reputation of being so reliable.

Though it is true that the box-stock combos are not as reliable as the heads, they can be made to be reliable and with mods out there they can sound so good that doing the work is well worth the effort.
Described everything to a T. No preamp tubes, sound through effects loop, found a burnt trace on the board near a tube.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Yeah the diodes are a common point of failure. Happened to me. An easy fix, but it is a bit annoying.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Glad you got it all worked out though. It's always a bummer to have your gear down.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 5, 2016,