Hi all

Been playing acoustic for about 9 months and have just bought my first electric and a THR10 amp.

I'm looking for inspiration for some beginner to intermediate licks/chord progressions etc that sound more impressive than they are difficult....the sort of thing you can play in guitar stores without sounding like a complete noob with no idea what you're doing....

In terms of tone and stuff I like a clean-ish vintage/bluesy type sound, so something to bear in mind. Open to all ideas

I love the bluesy stuff from John Mayer's live DVD (ie. Come When I Call) as an example

Thanks
Well I don't really think you can achieve what your asking for easily, art is something that's crafted and refined. You can't really cheese it.

What I did when I first started playing I chose a hard song that I absolutely loved and played it all the time. To me it was extremely difficult at the time, but I learned to play it very well over time. Which led to me showing off with that one song, but then people would expect me to play more like that I would disappoint them. Which made me feel like crap, but I still loved the song and still play it often today.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Not exactly up the John Mayer alley, but the following article might be a good one:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/5_easy_guitar_riffs_every_beginner_should_learn_today.html

The idea is learning riffs to have a purpose behind it that will help you down the road.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Fooling people at a guitar store is probably not going to work. They've probably tried all the typical things themselves. If that's what you're actually going for, you should be focused on trying things you'd actually play on a guitar you're trying out, to get a feel for it and put it through its paces.

If you just want to learn more stuff in that general style, SRV stuff would be great to develop your blues playing in a similar vein to Mayer. Mary Had a Little Lamb, Pride and Joy, Texas Flood, stuff like that - some of it will be manageable already, I'd think, some maybe later on.
BRISTOL86 If you like Maher, go to the source - Hendrix and SRV. I recommend learning:

1) the intro to Little Wing - the SRV Version - it's a classic and it actually sounds like music.
2) Mary had a Little Lamb SRV ( as mentioned above)
3) Castles Made of Sand - Hendrix
4) Lenny SRV - the intro is a classic
5) Hey Joe - Hendrix
Thanks all for the input!

Just to be clear I'm definitely not looking for shortcuts etc. out of laziness. I'm fully committed to getting better through hard work and practice!

Just that I noticed when playing some acoustic pieces that certain things sound a lot more difficult than they actually are. For example I learned 'I See Fire' by Ed Sheeran - the intro to that sounds like it should be quite difficult to play but it's basically Em / C / D / Em with a couple of hammer ons.

What I want to do is almost to build up a little repertoir/catalogue of licks/riffs/progressions that I can use when playing in a guitar store or demoing gear etc.

I get really flustered playing in a guitar store for some reason, I can never think of what to play etc. so I wanted to make a little list of bits and pieces to learn so well to the point where I can do them blindfolded.

And the more 'impressive' they sound the better, but obviously can't be so technical that they're way above my skill level at present. Hopefully that makes sense.

Will look into all the suggestions posted so far
Quote by BRISTOL86

What I want to do is almost to build up a little repertoir/catalogue of licks/riffs/progressions that I can use when playing in a guitar store or demoing gear etc.

I get really flustered playing in a guitar store for some reason, I can never think of what to play etc.

And the more 'impressive' they sound the better, but obviously can't be so technical that they're way above my skill level at present. Hopefully that makes sense.

Here's a tip , no one working in a guitar store wants to hear you or anyone else play. They certainly don't want to hear anything "impressive" - they don't care, are annoyed by the constant fiddling going on, and they normally have such a massive chip on their shoulder that they will not be impressed by anything regardless of how great. They have to listen to people wanking all day, every day.

If you really feel the need to demo gear in a guitar store, which is probably the single worst environment to audition any gear, then play simple chords and riffs, at best, in the least annoying way possible.
Yeah I've never gotten this whole " stuff to play in a guitar store" thing - it's a shop, not a performance space. Anything you play in the store is for your benefit only, you want to know how a piece of gear sounds and in the case of a guitar feels as well.

You just play whatever it is you would normally play, it's about assessing the gear - not impressing people because like reverb says, nobody's going to be impressed. They'll be indifferent at best, and possibly annoyed if they themselves are testing a potential purchase.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Instead of going to the guitar store to noodle, spend that time practicing.
You well then sound 'more impressive' because you will be! ;-)
I feel like I've really not done a good job of explaining exactly what I was trying to achieve here.

The last thing I want to do is go to a guitar store and act all loud and obnoxious, trying to make myself look awesome to go on some kind of ego trip....

My point was that at the moment I lack the confidence to go to a store and try different guitars etc. I get flustered playing even simple things in front of people, even family/friends. So really I was just looking for suggestions on little bits and pieces that you hear and you think 'that sounds good!" despite it being (relatively) simple. It's not about 'impressing' people for the sake of showing off and having people think 'ooh, he's good', believe me no one's likely to be saying that for a long time
I think you are just in denial about this - you are afraid for your ego. There's nothing wrong with that, in itself. But you're not performing when you go to the guitar store. Nobody cares if you screw up. If you're so embarrassed, just practice some music.

And I can tell you for sure that there is no such thing as sounding better than you are.
They've probably tried all the typical things themselves. If that's what you're actually going for, you should be focused on trying things you'd actually play on a guitar you're trying out, to get a feel for it and put it through its paces