Hey there, I currently have a Boss Metal core ml2 as my pedal, it has great reviws and sounds great but im wondering if there better quality pedals out there for what I play, which is mostly death metal, grindcore and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance
It's not exactly the advice you're looking for, but if I may make a suggestion.

Save up and buy a high gain amp that gives you the sound you want. Gain pedals are great for those that don't primarily play metal but want to once and a while.

I spent the better part of two decades playing through clean channel with a pedal board on lesser quality amps and was content in doing so. Once I started playing primarily metal, I bought my first high gain tube amp and never looked back. It's really night and day. I'm now a big advocate for getting youre gain from the amp. Why spend all kinds of money on an amp that you gotta put something in front of it to still get the sound you want?
^Yep.
Quote by aj.howse2
Hey there, I currently have a Boss Metal core ml2 as my pedal, it has great reviws and sounds great but im wondering if there better quality pedals out there for what I play, which is mostly death metal, grindcore and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance
What amp do you have?
Quote by Xander_X
Why spend all kinds of money on an amp that you gotta put something in front of it to still get the sound you want?

most people with high gain amps put an od pedal as a boost in front of it

but other than that, agreed.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by Will Lane
^Yep.What amp do you have?

I have a garbage 75w line 6 spider head.
I agree with Dave_MC and really like pedals...but it sounds like you NEED to upgrade your amp first. Your amp is the foundation of your sonic temple; the single biggest factor in defining your tone.

To be clear: I currently run all kinds of nifty distortion pedals in front of my Fender HRD 1x12 combo to get my metal tone. It sounds decent. And even so, I am shopping for an Orange or Mesa for Christmas.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
To add to my earlier post, there's nothing wrong with pedals. There are A LOT of good ones out there. Most professionals have quite the array of them they tour with.

I personally just like to my gain from my amp. And in all honesty run a Fat pedal in front of my 6505+ which is KIND OF like an OD. I also run an array of other FX.

AND I do use an OD once in a while for a boost instead of going to the lead channel. I just keep it on crunch.
Last edited by Xander_X at Nov 4, 2016,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I agree with Dave_MC and really like pedals...but it sounds like you NEED to upgrade your amp first. Your amp is the foundation of your sonic temple; the single biggest factor in defining your tone.

For a lot of (not all) types of metal it's (arguably) more than your foundation- it arguably *is* your tone (perhaps with a boost in front, as i said, but that's just really driving the amp harder, the amp's still doing the heavy lifting).

but yeah i mean i really like pedals too, and it depends on what you want, but if the amp is the problem (and it seems like it is here) buying pedals is just throwing your money away- you need to get to the root of the problem.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by aj.howse2
I have a garbage 75w line 6 spider head.
Yes, please be willing to get a better amp first. As others have said, getting a "metal" pedal is a waste of money at this point. You are better off using the amp by itself without a pedal as well.
Definitely makes sense. Thanks for the help all. I will be buying a new head Asap.
Quote by aj.howse2
Definitely makes sense. Thanks for the help all. I will be buying a new head Asap.
Well would you want us to give you some suggestions? I would hate for you to go out and buy something just for you to be in the same boat.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Last edited by Will Lane at Nov 7, 2016,