Hi Everyone I started playing classical, then acoustic guitar around a year ago. Bought myself an electric acoustic (Fender Hellcat) a while back and now I'm looking to play some songs and riffs that have a more rock/distorted/FX feel. I have two main questions:

1) Should I buy an amp to use with my electric acoustic or should I buy an amp and an electric ?

2) Which amp should i buy?

Background info:

- My Budget for the amp is no more than $150 ( I live in Switzerland so this would translate to me paying ~$200 )
- Like I said before, I already own an electric-acoustic guitar model, Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat
- Genres I mostly play are rock, indie/alt rock, alt and some bands I like are Arctic Monkeys, RHCP, Bad Suns, The Strokes, Nirvana…
- Need the amp mostly for practice, perhaps the ocassional jam sesh with friends. Looking for Sound quality and FX/settings variety ahead of volume.

I've been looking at these amps, within my price range and available in my country:
** I included prices so people could tell me if the amp gives me my 'Bang' for the buck

Fender Mustang I V2 - 125 CHF

Marshall MG15CFX - 169 CHF

Fender Champion 20 - 104 CHF

Orange crush 20 - 139 CHF

Roland Cube 10GX - 113 CHF

Roland Micro Cube GX - 125 CHF

Fender Mustang I V2 - 125 CHF

Line6 spider IV 30 - 145CHF

What do you think is the best? Alternatively, do you have better suggestions?

(3) Which Electric Guitar should I buy, if I choose to do so? --> What is the best combo of guitar/amp within my budget?

Background Info:

- I do prefer the stratocaster models over les paul due to the easier fret access, but find both models wonderful.
- Budget from $100-300 (more flexible depending on which amp I choose)
- Aesthetics are important to me, but of course build quality, value and sound are my highest priority here

I've been looking at the following models in my price range and available in my area:
** I included prices so people could tell me if the instrument gives me my 'Bang' for the buck

Squier bullet stratocaster HSS/SSS - 125CHF

Squier affinity stratocaster HSS(Olympic white)/SSS- 225CHF/198CHF

Yamaha Pacifica 112J/V/VM -229CHF/270CHF/279CHF

Epiphone slash AFD les Paul (starter pack includes case, wire,strap and 2picks) -198CHF

Epiphone SG Special G-310 - 209CHF

I realize this is quite the long post, and I appreciate everyone's time, effort and comments. Thanks in advance and have a nice day
Last edited by justtumblr101 at Nov 4, 2016,
if you want to play electric guitar then yeah you'll need one. acoustic-electric really not the same. as for amps well I'd recommend the Fender Mustang series. forget the marshall mg and line 6 as both are rather subpar. Roland Cube isn't bad but I'd try to get a one above the 10gx as those are rather small and not good for jamming.
monwobobbo Thanks for your response ! I liked the Mustang (only looked online so far) but I heard some of the negatives are not so good sound quality, especially at higher volumes. What's your experience with this? Also, any suggestions when it comes to chosing an E guitar?

Regarding the amp again, I found a Roland Cube-20GX for 165CHF. Is this a better option than the Fender Mustang?
Last edited by justtumblr101 at Nov 4, 2016,
i'd probably pick the pacifica 112 out of those, but that's just me. the nut's quite narrow on it (if i remember correctly), you might find it cramped if you're more used to an acoustic. but other than that i'd say it's likely the pick out of the guitars you've listed (though admittedly I haven't tried them all, I'm probably going more on what seems to be the consensus around here ).

it's a judgement call as to whether you go for the V or the J- the J is the slightly older model, the V has a few slight upgrades (coil split being the main one really, it may have slightly nicer alnico pickups too but I'm not sure about that), but as far as I'm aware the basic guitar is more or less the same- so it really depends on whether you think the upcharge is worth it. It is better, but only slightly, if that makes sense.

the V versus VM is rosewood versus maple for the fretboard, I think- that's pretty much entirely personal preference. Maybe on cheaper guitars maple tends to be slightly nicer (since cheap rosewood can be a bit dry etc. ) but that may well just be the guitars I've tried. If you can try both you'll be able to tell for yourself.

again, i haven't tried the mustang amp but i suspect it's the pick out of the amps listed. the roland cubes aren't bad, but as monwobobbo says you really need to get up to the bigger models (really the 30 watt ones( EDIT: make that 40 watt, the older models started getting good at 30 watts ) and up I think) to get the better tones with the amp modelling (I've only tried the older models, just to clarify). vox valvetronixes are pretty good too, and the peavey vypyrs are supposed to be as well but i haven't tried them.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 4, 2016,
Quote by justtumblr101
monwobobbo Thanks for your response ! I liked the Mustang (only looked online so far) but I heard some of the negatives are not so good sound quality, especially at higher volumes. What's your experience with this? Also, any suggestions when it comes to chosing an E guitar?

Regarding the amp again, I found a Roland Cube-20GX for 165CHF. Is this a better option than the Fender Mustang?

well first off any amp that is intended as a practice amp (such as those you listed) will likely not sound great cranked, they really aren't meant for that. if you are trying to play in a band you'll need something better or it will likely sound like ass.
I have limited experience with the Mustang amps as I've only plugged in a couple of times at a guitar store just to check them out. they don't do the more extreme styles of heavy metal all that great but for what you listed will be fine.

as for a guitar if you can go used that will help you out some. as dave suggested the Yamaha is a decent beginner guitar. the SG310 isn't bad and Affinity series Squier's aren't bad either. forget the Bullet that's crap and I don't have much good to say about the Slash starter pack as it trades more on his name that giving you anything remotely close to what he uses.
monwobobbo Thanks for your comment I've been looking at used (very slim pickings since I live in a small country) but I may manage to get my hands on a Mustang II V2 (the seller has also offered the opportunity to try it out before purchase) for less than 100CHF, i'll give that a shot, otherwise go for the Mustang I V2. I'm also looking at used Peavey VYPR (15W), Line6 DT25 112 and Marshall MG30CFX. What is your opinion on these?

If I can get my hands on the Mustang II V2 I will hopefully be able to afford the Yamaha, but I'll try the Affinity and SG 310 as well. I've heard that the Yamaha Pacifica is one of the best electrics at this price point - would you agree with that? One thing regarding the slash starter pack - I believe it is also an SG 310 epiphone model, but with gig bag and smaller accessories included. I know it won't be of the quality that slash actually uses but would this be a better deal than just getting the SG 310 on its own?
Dave_Mc Thanks for your comment ! After doing more reserach and hearing from you guys on here I am leaning towards the Yamaha Pacifica 112V. I figure I can likely save a bit on the amp by going used, and if I'm going to buy a Pacifica I might as well get the newer model, especially since it's not a huge difference, and I will likely have it for a while.

However, I am torn because the Squier Affinity Stratocaster HSS RW Olympic White has stolen my heart (in terms of looks for now, and I'm hoping the sound won't dissapoint). Do you, or anyone else, have experience with the Squier Affinity? Does it compare to the Yamaha? Or am I better off just going with the Yamaha ? I will of course be trying both in store, but am curious to hear what you all have to say
Unless you plan to play your acoustic guitar live then an amp is a waste of money, If you wish to play an electric guitar then both the electric guitar and electric guitar amp will be needed, Using an acoustic guitar with an electric guitar amp is not advised,
Acoustic guitar amp with acoustic guitar, Electric guitar with electric guitar amp, Pretty simple really, Two different animals, Electric guitar amps are voiced for electric guitars, Acoustic guitar amps are neutral voiced, as like a PA system, No flavor so to say, lets the natural voice of the acoustic ring through,
An electric on the other hand has no acoustic properties to really speak of, But then again there is once you figure it out, and needs some help from its amp, So let the amp wars begin,
Unfortunately in your price range the pickings are pretty slim, Most will be no better than the next and all will sound like crap to the accustomed ear, And even worse if trying to use an acoustic guitar with them, Just because they sold the guitar to you as a Acoustic Electric does not make it an Electric guitar, It just means it can be amplified as an acoustic guitar, Nothing more, As to what's available in Switzerland these days? Cant say Aint been there in awhile. Last I checked they still had music stores though, Maybe start there and try some stuff out?
Last edited by nastytroll at Nov 4, 2016,
Both guitars should be similar in build quality. After playing both just pick the one you like best.
nastytroll Thanks for your response. I am likely going to get an Amp (used probably so I can get a higher end model) and an E guitar. From what I've haerd, I can plug my acoustic-electric into any amp, and set the amp to the 'clean' channel, then it will play without distortion just louder. I'm hoping to get a Pacifica 112V in terms of guitar some time around xmas.
Hey everyone: I'm looking at some Amp options, and am having difficulaty deciding between:

- Fender Mustang I (very inexpensive ~ 40CHF) like new condition
- Fender Mustang II V2 (~80CHF) like new condition
- Peavey Vypr 15W (~60 CHF) like new condition

I still have to bid on them, so prices may go up a bit. What do you guys think is the best bid?

There's also a Marshall MG30CFX and Line6 DT25 112 in the ~100CHF+ range, however I don't have the money for that right now and the bids are almost over.

Is it worth saving up a bit more and looking for new bids later? Or should I go with one of the 3 under 100? I'm leaning to the Mustang II V2 right now, but would love to hear your guys experience and opinion.
^ Just don't get your hopes up too much- if something is cheap on an auction site, there's a fair chance it will be bid up to a much higher price just before the auction ends. Decide on what price you're willing to go to long before the auction ends, and stick to it- don't get sucked into a bidding war.

Quote by justtumblr101
(a) I've heard that the Yamaha Pacifica is one of the best electrics at this price point - would you agree with that? (b) One thing regarding the slash starter pack - I believe it is also an SG 310 epiphone model, but with gig bag and smaller accessories included. I know it won't be of the quality that slash actually uses but would this be a better deal than just getting the SG 310 on its own?

(a) It's really hard to say because prices vary so much between different countries (and often even different shops within the same country). It probably is true that it's the safe choice, though- depending on where you are, luck (getting a good deal, say), etc. you may well manage to find something nicer for the same price, but you could do a lot worse than the pacifica and probably won't go too far wrong with it.

(b) That really depends on what the extras are, how good they are, and whether you'd genuinely buy them separately if they didn't come in the pack. Like a lot of freebies, if it's stuff you'd buy anyway (and also the same high quality stuff you'd buy anyway), then it can be worth it, especially if you're saving money. But don't pay extra for stuff that you wouldn't otherwise buy yourself, kind of thing.
Quote by justtumblr101
Dave_Mc (a) Thanks for your comment ! After doing more reserach and hearing from you guys on here I am leaning towards the Yamaha Pacifica 112V. I figure I can likely save a bit on the amp by going used, and if I'm going to buy a Pacifica I might as well get the newer model, especially since it's not a huge difference, and I will likely have it for a while.

(b) However, I am torn because the Squier Affinity Stratocaster HSS RW Olympic White has stolen my heart (in terms of looks for now, and I'm hoping the sound won't dissapoint). Do you, or anyone else, have experience with the Squier Affinity? Does it compare to the Yamaha? Or am I better off just going with the Yamaha ? I will of course be trying both in store, but am curious to hear what you all have to say

(a) Yeah pretty much- if the price isn't much different then you might as well get the "V" version, as you said. It is a bit better out of the box.

(b) I haven't tried it, unfortunately.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?