I started playing the guitar a year ago, and i felt i was doing great. 3 months ago, i bought an electric guitar as my goal was to play blues and improvise. however when i started i got very confused, lost interest, and became demotivated. so if anyone could help me with my questions, that would be amazing.

-what are minors and majors?
-what are notes?
-what are root notes, 5th notes, octaves?

thank you so much
all that is music theory. how could you be playing for a year and not know what notes are? A-G with sharps and flats. take a little time to look it up. it takes way more than a year or especially 3 months to learn to play the blues and be able to improvise. if you don't understand even basic music theory then of course you ar lost.
Quote by Ouri2011
I started playing the guitar a year ago, and i felt i was doing great. 3 months ago, i bought an electric guitar as my goal was to play blues and improvise. however when i started i got very confused, lost interest, and became demotivated. so if anyone could help me with my questions, that would be amazing.

-what are minors and majors?
-what are notes?
-what are root notes, 5th notes, octaves?

thank you so much
Try asking questions like this in Musician Talk next time, as this sub-forum (New Member's Sandbox) is not for music talk, as you see.

Here is a basic explanation of those concepts.

Minor and Major refers to two things: Either a Minor or Major scale, or a Minor or Major chord. So the G minor / G major scale, or a G Minor / G major chord. Notes are the musical tones that make up music. Root notes are the root note of a scale or chord. A G major scale has the root note of G, a G major chord has the root note of G. 5ths are notes located at the 5th degree of a scale. So a G major scale is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G. The 5th of that scale is D. Octaves are two notes of the same "sound," but double the frequency measures in hertz. So a G at 196hz, and one an Octave up at 392hz.

Get a few basic theory books and take some lessons to really get the basics down and you'll be caught up to speed.
Quote by monwobobbo
all that is music theory. how could you be playing for a year and not know what notes are? A-G with sharps and flats. take a little time to look it up. it takes way more than a year or especially 3 months to learn to play the blues and be able to improvise. if you don't understand even basic music theory then of course you ar lost.

I've been pluckin strings for over 30 years. Can't read muzak. Don't know what chords I am playing.
Granted, I'm no Alex Lifeson.
People should play how they want to, not how others feel they should be playing.
Quote by Diatribes
I've been pluckin strings for over 30 years. Can't read muzak. Don't know what chords I am playing.
Granted, I'm no Alex Lifeson.
People should play how they want to, not how others feel they should be playing.

if you want to promote musical ignorance then that's fine. if after 30 years of playing you don't know what chords you are playing or the notes on the neck I find that hard to believe. if that was true then you've never been in a band or jammed with others? I know basic theory and can't read standard notation for shit either but I know enough to figure out what chords I'm playing, key and other music basics. I'm not telling him how to play just suggesting he be able to have a basic understanding of how music works.
In all fairness you critiqued him for "not know what notes are".
I'll quit promoting musical ignorance if you quit promoting arrogant asshole.
Quote by monwobobbo
how could you be playing for a year and not know what notes are?.

Quote by monwobobbo
if you don't understand even basic music theory then of course you ar lost.

Explain how saying this is going to motivate a beginner to learn?
Quote by Diatribes
Explain how saying this is going to motivate a beginner to learn?

if telling a new player to learn the notes on the neck makes me an arrogant asshole then I guess I am. it's pretty basic and something that should be known. feel free to find a guitar teacher that would disagree or are they all arrogant assholes to.

as for motivation the desire to learn the instrument should be there to begin with. if not then a waste of time. guy wants to learn to improvise then he needs to know what key he is in and where to find notes that fit. otherwise you're just flopping around the fretboard hoping for the best. yes I know some guys can play by "ear" and just get it right but most can't.
monwobobbo
Being hyper critical and pushing your OPINION on someone by "telling a new player" instead of suggesting...
Yeah. I stand by arrogant asshole. If the asshat fits...
Or maybe you are the guru of teaching people to play guitar, and if that's the case I digress.
Quote by Diatribes
monwobobbo
Being hyper critical and pushing your OPINION on someone by "telling a new player" instead of suggesting...
Yeah. I stand by arrogant asshole. If the asshat fits...
Or maybe you are the guru of teaching people to play guitar, and if that's the case I digress.

by the way if you look at the statements that seem to offend you you'll see that one was a ? and the other a statement of the obvious. I'm not pushing my opinion. perhaps they weren't stated as nicely as you'd wish but but that happens on these boards. I fail to see any of what I said as being hyper-critical. I didn't say the kid sucks and should just give up or anything like that. how bout this instead of criticizing what I said give the OP some sound advice that you feel would be better than mine. calling me an asshole in no way helps him.
Ouri2011
I would suggest calling some people about taking lessons. Even if you're not sure what areas you need or want to work on, just explain your situation to said instructors. Any decent instructor should be able to tell by speaking with you and listening to you play, how to best approach the areas of difficulties you are experiencing.
I would also suggest trying more than one person. People aren't always empathetic or sympathetic on the same level...
monwobobbo you do have a great point, but its just that arabic is my native language, thus music is very confusing for me because im studying it in English, and im passing by lots of confusing stuff and new words.
monwobobbo regarding your reply, without doubt i know the chords i use, bar chords/minors and majors, and the caged system, but i just dont understand them, why are they minors and majors, what are "notes", what the root notes really are etc.....
Diatribes from people reply, i guess people think im ignorant. ive actually taken lessons and know what im playing, but as i said, english is not my native language and i studied music in the english language, so its gets me very confused...

especially since each word has multiple translations....

thank you
Will Lane Thank you very much!

im going to buy a couple after lots of searching, since there are barley any where i live.

and ive actually taken a full course, like i know how to play the guitar, chords, bar chords, caged system, im more of an intermediate player.

but my problem is that english is not my native language, and i learned music in english, so it confuses me so much especially since each word has multiple translations.

but what you said definitely helps, thank you very much